500 Blade 550 X Pro (Build Thread)

pvolcko

Anyone running a Blade 550 X Pro yet? Heard good or bad on them? Seen good or bad on them?

My local shop is phasing out stocking Align parts or kits, more or less leaving them as a Blade only shop (also the small Heli-max Axe birds). I have been planning on getting an Align 450, 500 or 550, because I want a larger heli for the outdoors in the nice months, I want to build one from a kit, and from my reading here and elsewhere Align puts out a quality product. But with the shop no longer stocking the Align product I'm thinking the 550 X Pro now since Blade doesn't have smaller size heli kits.

stokke

Re: Blade 550 X Pro

As far as I know, Blade does have smaller than 550 size birds?

450 and 300...?

Lee

Blade do 550,500,450,300,SR120,130X,MCPX, NCPX and MSR
I would still be inclined to get the Align 550 over the Blade, as its a proven model, held in high regard by most pilots. The blade is an unknown quantity at the moment. There are so many places to get Align parts, you don't need to worry about the LHS not stocking them.

stokke

Also, you get to build the Align - which is a valuable experience.

pvolcko

The other blade offerings are all RTF or BNF. As far as I know the 550 X pro is the smallest kit built heli they have, which is a must for me on this next heli. And I realize I can get align stuff all over the Internet, but I'm wanting to buy local if possible on the initial kit purchase at least. Guess I can order the align through them. The aren't stocking anymore, but they will still do orders for them. Just wanted to see if anyone here had insights on the 550 xpro, parti ularly since it is a relatively new offering.

Lee

Maybe you should be one of the first to get the Blade 550. Do a build review on here with your thoughts and findings. I sure would be interested to see it and hear what you think.

pvolcko

Lee, I was thinking the same thing. Marius went with the JR to be different. Guess I can be guinea pig on this 550 X Pro. :) Not that I have any experience with another kit build or larger sized bird to make valid comparisons against. :)

pvolcko

Well, this will be my build thread. Picked up the combo kit today. Kind of went heli crazy this week. Have a Align 700e showing up next week from Gaba and now the Blade 550 X Pro. The 700e will get it's own thread, but it will be a little while before I start in on it since I need to do some research and get the electronics for it. The X Pro is a full combo kit though so I get to start in on it right away and it is the smaller of the two so I'll be putting it as risk of crash first. :)

20130327_150110_800w.jpg

More to follow... :hdbng: Yes, this rocks!

20130327_150110_800w.jpg

Tony

Staff member

Thanks for taking one for the team on here and getting it. I have wanted to see this for a while. Never really trusted the larger helis from then since the 400 sucks so bad and is so under powered. Hope this one is not that way. Can't wait to see more.

pvolcko

Well, hell, now I'm hoping it doesn't suck, too. :)

So the unboxing and the head assembly...

IMG_2004_800w.jpg
Pleasant green hue. Going from left to right to up...

IMG_2007_800w.jpg
Head, frame, tail boxes and rotor assemblies, along with extraneous stuff (zip ties, blade holders, etc.). Kit includes loctite and a white grease. I had a tube of alternate grease I'm using. Have loctite around here too, but it's out in the other garage so will go with what came with the kit. Well packaged. Each major assembly in its own grouping baggie, containing sub-assemblies within their own baggies. Well marked and matching up with the manual. Manual is very good, with the only exception of not giving much guidance on how much torque to apply on things.

IMG_2012_800w.jpg
Next sub-box: esc, bec, servos, motor, and receiver/controller.

IMG_2013_800w.jpg
The powerhouse. :) Actually was not as large as I was expecting. First time holding and playing with an out-runner motor. The notchiness of the multi-pole magnet setup reminded me of stepper motors.

IMG_2014_800w.jpg
Last sub-box: main rotor blades, torque tube, support rods.

And so it begins... assembly:

IMG_2017_800w.jpg
Start with the rotor head assembly.

IMG_2019_800w.jpg
Pull apart the swash driver arms, clean the bolts, apply some loctite and reassemble. I believe one of the bolt holes where the plastic arm connects came cross threaded. Went in difficult. Also possible there was some loctite on there from the factory or maybe a shaving from the thread cutting process. Couldn't get it to go in smooth so just rolled with it. It tightened down fine.

IMG_2020_800w.jpg
Arms reassembled and ready to go onto the head.

IMG_2022_800w.jpg
Quickly realized I needed to mount the head on the main shaft since the driver arms, when tightened down, help clamp the head to the shaft to prevent "jittering", of course the main load bearing connection is with the so called "Jesus" bolt. Going to have to find out why it is called that. Probably because when they come loose the pilot can do nothing but pray. :)

Getting the dampers in there was a bit of a pain. There is a plastic collar on the feathering shaft between the dampers so you can't just press the dampers into the head and then slide the shaft through. At least one of the dampers has to be pressed into the head after it is on the shaft. (This is just full of innuendo.) I now realize I should have used the blade grip to help push the damper into place. As it was I used the blunt side of a set of needle nose pliers to finesse them into place.

IMG_2023_800w.jpg
Forgot to take a pic of the bearing and washer layout. Nothing special anyway. Greased up the bearing cage, open end toward the spindle to help prevent the stuff from just running out on spin up. I didn't have a second 3mm hex head key available so I'll probably have to break the loctite and resecure the assembly tomorrow. I did manage to get it torqued down alright, to the point both the blade grips were a bit "notchy" when rotating them. But with the way the dampers are just press fit into the hub, I'm pretty sure there is some more play to tighten out of it. I suspect sitting overnight they will settle in a bit too, allowing for a bit more tightening to occur.

IMG_2024_800w.jpg
Left the cap off the top for the time being since I'd need to remove it anyway later on for blade pitch measurements. Popped the swash onto the driver arms. I'll be unpopping tomorrow and backing all the ball ends off the swash and reapplying loctite to make sure they are secured. Actually I'll go do that now before crashing for the night.

Got a couple of batteries ordered up and on the way (one EPBuddy 35C and the other a Turnigy 30C, non-nano-tech). Along with some EC5 connectors and an EC5 paraboard. They had 4mm bullets in stock too, so ordered up some of them to keep around.

Need to go get some wet sanding paper tomorrow so I can start in on the frame!

IMG_2004_800w.jpg

IMG_2007_800w.jpg

IMG_2012_800w.jpg

IMG_2013_800w.jpg

IMG_2014_800w.jpg

IMG_2017_800w.jpg

IMG_2019_800w.jpg

IMG_2020_800w.jpg

IMG_2022_800w.jpg

IMG_2023_800w.jpg

IMG_2024_800w.jpg

Tony

Staff member

I'm sure this one is MUCH better than the Blade 400 lol. But, only one way to find out... You done yet? :biggrin1:

murankar

Staff member
I would be concerned with the notching in the bearings. Hopefully its just due to torque on the retaining screws.

Looking good.

pvolcko

Hmm. I've watched the blade vid on head assembly and they do mention in there it is actually somewhat normal for there to be a bit of notchiness... bad word, notchy implies it is sticking or there is a sharp or acute grinding, and it isn't that, it is more like... a very subtle "cam" bump feeling, it is smooth, not gritty, just a very subtle "ripple" type feeling when rotating the grips. Video says it is because things haven't "centered" in the spindle assembly yet. Usually happens when you first spin up the heli. Things compress down, thrust bearings settle in, dampers seat fully, etc.

And I haven't really torqued the grip retainer bolts yet (later today when I get the metric hex keys out of the garage).

After I torque them down a bit more I may bring the head assembly into the LHS I purchased from and get their guidance on if it is an issue or not. I'm not too worried about it. If it continues after first spin up then I'll get a bit worried. :)

Lee

I have always used super glue. Its the same stuff, or so i thought. The build looks great so far. Really looking forward to you thoughts and seeing it in the air. If you hold the two blade grips in your hands and pull them away from the hub, do they still feel notchy? If its only slight, i would think the Centrifugal force should sort it out.

pvolcko

Cyano-acetate or whatever it is. Same stuff as super glue I thought, too. I'm sure they have different viscosity versions of it available (thin vs thick CA), but should be able to roll with what I have, cool. I'll try the pull and turn at the same time idea. I know if I pull on one and then turn it the notchy feeling goes away on that grip.

pvolcko

Maybe the ball links that go into plastic. Bearings on the torque tube, when I get to it.

Just finished sanding down the frame pieces. Tedious. Wish I had a dremel tool. :) Hope to get the frame done tonight.

Top Bottom