250 Blade 300x and a 3gx..... Has anyone tried this?

Lcrrick

Thanks for the quick response to my minor meltdown..... I have tried everything that I could think of including what you mentioned. I have it removed from my Heli now trying different configs unplugging servos and trying to get it show any signs of life..... I cannot get the 3GX to do anything.

Are they fairly fragile? if I pushed the rudder back and forth, with it in the wrong mode? would it burn this thing up?

Tony

Staff member
If you are only using one satellite, try plugging it into another port. Also, verify you have voltage coming out of the ESC into the 3GX. Should be around 5 volts or so. Also, make sure you have the ESC plug in the 3GX the correct way. Posting some pictures or a good video might show a little more.

Lcrrick

Tony. I don't know what to say. You are a 3gx guru! I changed the satellite port and it came back to life. A big thanks! Now in to the setup.

Lcrrick

I have just a couple of questions. 1. Is there anyway to get the 3gx to stop its corrections in order to zero the servo arms?

2. I would like to see the video that you have made to set up a fly barbless head. I cannot seem to find it.

Tony

Staff member
DIR mode is what you want to center your servos and setup all of your pitch settings. To access DIR mode, you will push and hold the set button on the 3GX while you plug in the battery. When the lights start flashing down, release the set button before it gets to the 5th light. This is DIR mode and it will bypass ALL gyros like you have the servos plugged directly into a Rx.

And I have never done a flybarless head setup video specifically. However, I set them up in multiple videos such as the 3GX videos, the Align 450 build video, the How to build a clone video and so on. Let us know what you need help with and we will help you out.

Lcrrick

I went through the videos for setting up a 3GX it seems like everything is working except the tail rotor gyro. The servo moves with the stick but doesn't make any corrections so when I spool it up it spins CCW because the tail rotor is 0º pitch. any thoughts. did i miss a step?

BAdair

Did you do the tail setup? it's not in the DIR setup.
Did you set gyro gain in your radio?

- - - Updated - - -

[video=youtube_share;jskvPC3_NBo]http://youtu.be/jskvPC3_NBo[/video]

- - - Updated - - -

[video=youtube_share;jskvPC3_NBo]http://youtu.be/jskvPC3_NBo[/video]

Lcrrick

I did go through the tail set up. Even the direction setting for the correction. And that works. From the video: " move the tail left and the trailing edge of the tail blade goes left". That works but when I get out of the set up mode it doesn't make corrections at all. .??? The swash plate correction moves like it should just no tail pitch changes.

Tony

Staff member
Go into your gyro menu and make sure you have something other than 0. You need to be in the positive. Raise it until the tail wags, then back it down 5 points.

pvolcko

Make sure you have the gyro gain in the tx set into the heading hold range. if it is in rate mode then the tell will only correct when the tail is moved. If the gain is low in either mode then the amount of correction will be very small. Maybe hard to see.

Maybe? Just a guess.

Lcrrick

How do you switch between rate and heading mode? I have heard of this but never knew how to do it.
Thanks Pvolko and Tony!

Tony, the tail just spins CCW like the 3Gx is not making any corrections. I have my GYro set to about 50%

pvolcko

As Tony mentioned, values over 0 will be heading hold mode, under 0 will be rate mode. These are values you set in the transmitter on the gyro screen.

Rate mode the tail corrects only when it is in motion side to side, when it is stable it will be neutral. It is only correcting the rate of motion that is different than what you are inputting. In heading hold mode it will hold a correction in when you shift the tail to either side until it returns to the position is was in. It is correcting to maintain heading even if it is not being forced CCW or CW at the moment.

Settings near 0 will correct less for a given amount of movement. Values further from 0 (in either negative or positive directions) will correct more for a given amount of movement. IF you are at 0 then the amount of correction will be nothing, resulting in no tail movement off of neutral no matter how much you move it.

BAdair

What radio are you using?
I know on my JR 11x 50% in the radio is 0% on the gyro.

Another thing is when the gain is off or 0% on the 3gx the status light will be red, when you have + gain it turns green.
Almost all my heli's are flying good with 30% gain on the tail gyro, which is about 64% in my radio... I don't know why, the way I find what gain I'm using is plug it in to the computer and run the program to see the actual gain.
I think 1 point in my radio equals about 2 in the 3gx.

Lcrrick

I did go through the tail set up. Even the direction setting for the correction. And that works. From the video: " move the tail left and the trailing edge of the tail blade goes left". That works but when I get out of the set up mode it doesn't make corrections at all. .??? The swash plate correction moves like it should just no tail pitch changes.

I was going through my TX and figured out that I can assign the Gyro to a channel. I had it on the gear channel. I switched it over to Aux 2 channel (Dx7s) and poof it was making the corrections and I got-R hovering. Now I havea wag that I need to chase down. I am new to the Dx7 and didn't know that you can get into negative Gyro adjustments...... Now what you all are telling me makes more sense. (Sorry for being a slow learner) The wag seems to get faster as I go up in numbers, but the lower i go the wag gets slower and wider( swings wider) I should be going lower, to make it go away, is that correct?

BAdair

I was going through my TX and figured out that I can assign the Gyro to a channel. I had it on the gear channel. I switched it over to Aux 2 channel (Dx7s) and poof it was making the corrections and I got-R hovering. Now I havea wag that I need to chase down. I am new to the Dx7 and didn't know that you can get into negative Gyro adjustments...... Now what you all are telling me makes more sense. (Sorry for being a slow learner) The wag seems to get faster as I go up in numbers, but the lower i go the wag gets slower and wider( swings wider) I should be going lower, to make it go away, is that correct?

Now your getting it!
Slow drift wag is not enough gain, fast twitching is too much gain.

On my DX7s on my 450 w the 3gx I think I was at 39.5% in the radio.
They say to start high and fly then come down in like 2% increments.
Hope that helps!

- - - Updated - - -

another thought, I had my 450 wag like your describing and it was due to not having correct center when I set it up the first time.

Turn the tail gyro off as in no gain AKA( NR mode) let the servo center and fold both tail blades up and see if they are lined up if they are pitched in or out adjust the linkage until you are as close to both blades being lined up as you can get.
This is my cheat way of trying to get centered.
Then go through the tail setup again, also when doing the tail setup DO NOT have gain in the radio, I normally left the 0 position on my aux2 or gyro switch to where I could turn off the gyro for setup reasons.

Slobberdog

What version are you using on the 3Gx software, if its V4 then you might never get rid of that wag, its more of a problem on the small heli setting and is not helped by the default delay that is now in the software, ensure the delay in yours is set at 0, that will help a little, but like I said in V4 wag is a common problem......

Top Bottom