Other Binding the msh brain /ikon controller with a dx8????

wolfman76

I never built Cb antennas but i use own a Royce 619 base cb with a 30ft 4 element ground plane antenna... It is the same basic concept as a ground plain antenna the more elements the better same as a CB for the fact that more elements going in different directions the better you receive the signal from others it is exactly the same. On a sat antenna you have 2 elements so just using one sat with the 2 sticking straight out the side so you are limited to the it only picking up signal from the TX from only the sides but with 2 says it doubles the ability of the heli to receive the signal wether it be from the left side of the heli or right or from above or below almost liked the helis sats are surrounding it in a 360° rx bubble so to speak. Dude trust me and Tony the extra elements of the 2 sats makes all the difference in the world.. I actually use to talk skip to people from Texas from Indiana with my ground plain but only because i had the 4 elements off of it without the extra elements i wouldn't have been able to do it and my base radio was completely stock had not been clipped or tweaked.. Hope this helps you understand a little better.

DAL2855

Banned
So then in a sense, these SATs do act like a ground plane antenna if I'm understanding you correctly? And yes you are correct, the more ground plane, the better your antenna works and the less you have to move it for it too work right. I used to use 3/4" copper pipe for the mast and 3/8" copper for the stinger and for the coils of the antenna. Using a piece of a clear plastic toilet plunger handle for a spacer in the center of each coil on the mast. You would cut the 3/4" copper in the center of the coil after the coil is installed, and insert the plastic spacer in each end of the mast so that the mast would be broken and the signal would have to travel through the coil that is placed on the mast.

Anyways, from what I am understanding Wolf, the frame of the helicopter basically is causing the SAT Antenna's to act as a ground plane? Now yes I do understand the need for two, but still they are the same distance away from the radio. I have no idea what the maximum range of these 2.4ghz radios are, but have read they can reach 4.5-5 miles safely with a camera system, but dunno if I'd really wanna test that theory. I don't have enough area to get more than a couple hundred yards away from the radio line of sight so if they actually will transmit the 4.5-5 miles, then I really don't think I'll have much problem at a couple hundred yards. But I don't see myself getting that far away from it anytime soon. As the farther away it gets, the harder it is to maintain orientation correct?

DAL2855

Banned
Ok so I got an explanation in another forum about how these SAT's work that is starting to make sense to me finally, the guy said to think of the radio as a flashlight and when the bird is in a side-in orientation, that one of the SAT's are in the shadow of that flashlight. If you piroutted around 180 degrees, then the other SAT would be in the shadow of the flashlight thus making it the one sending the signal to the Ikon.

wolfman76

Good to hear you starting to get a better understanding on how it works and as far as the distance between the 2 sats doesn't matter just the position of the antennas coming of the sats that is what allows it to receive the incoming signal

pvolcko

Distance does matter a bit. I believe they recommend at least 2 inches of separation from antenna tip to tip.

DAL2855

Banned
Well the frame of the bird is right at the 2 inches wide so I won't have a problem with the distance between them. I did get the new skid mounts and pinions today and got them mounted and replaced the main gear with a spare I had and checked the main shaft for straightness course I'll be changing it out anyways cause I'm going to be putting the DFC head on it anyways. And have a new main shaft for the DFC head which is slightly shorter than the one for the regular FBL head that came with the kit. I'm thinking that the Ikon will have to be mounted down on the top of the transmission box instead of on the gyro mount because the gyro mount isn't very long, it's barely long enough for the sensor of the 3G to fit onto it, I know the Ikon is quite a bit longer than this sensor. And found out atleast one of my D652's will have to be replaced, so I'm thinking I'm just gonna swap all three out for D770's which are .06 @ 7.4v instead of the .09 @ 6v of the D652's. Then I'll have D770's all around. That's the same servo that I have on the tail.

Top Bottom