Other Binding the msh brain /ikon controller with a dx8????

wolfman76

Never thought about that Sam i think i had bound my brain before even trying to hook it up to my computer

xokia

You need to manually select the com port. There should be a drop down box. Select the com port your brain is using.

kennyboypro

as i said before, plug the usb into computer and nothing, no com port to select.
i sent the unit back to fastlad, they sent me a replacement, plugged it in and hey presto, laptop found it, all good now.
Thanks for everyone that offered advice to try help me out :)

DAL2855

Banned
I got some questions about this Ikon, I'm looking at getting an Ikon when I order all the repair parts that I need for my HK550 TT FBL and will be replacing almost everything on this bird with Align parts, but that's not really part of my question. I am wondering why you would have 2 SAT RX's with the DX8 radio which I will also be purchasing at the same time. What's the point of the second SAT RX? Only ONE RX can be bound to the TX at any given time so why have two? I don't understand all this Spektrum Technology here. If only one RX can be bound to the TX, then why have two?

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
I got some questions about this Ikon, I'm looking at getting an Ikon when I order all the repair parts that I need for my HK550 TT FBL and will be replacing almost everything on this bird with Align parts, but that's not really part of my question. I am wondering why you would have 2 SAT RX's with the DX8 radio which I will also be purchasing at the same time. What's the point of the second SAT RX? Only ONE RX can be bound to the TX at any given time so why have two? I don't understand all this Spektrum Technology here. If only one RX can be bound to the TX, then why have two?

You can bind both receiver at the same time. I have flown my Goblin with one sat and that was my Maiden flight. Its pretty much a back up or to say diversity. especially with big birds you tend to fly further.

DAL2855

Banned
Right now my 550 doesn't get more than 30-50 ft away from me and I will not be flying any 3D so I really don't see the need to have more than one RX but a guy in another forum insists that I have to have two on a 500 or larger heli.

- - - Updated - - -

And I don't quite understand how they expect if one RX can't get the TX signal, that the other one will? They are both exactly the same distance away from the TX so how is this possible?

Tony

Staff member
It's not the size of the heli or how far you fly away from you, it's the RF interference that the motor and ESC put off that can block the signal from your Tx. And the reason the other one will keep a signal is because of redundancy. You put one with the antennas horizontal and the other vertical. This helps to keep the signal no matter what orientation the heli is in, and you have a better chance to win the battle of interference and brown outs. Anything over a 500 size NEEDS redundant satellites.

DAL2855

Banned
I guess I overthink things, but I still do not understand how this helps the heli keep signal. If they are both exactly the same distance away from the TX, then if one loses signal, then the other one doesn't have signal either regardless of antenna orientation. I guess I think too scientifically I dunno. But I just don't understand all of this stuff. I want to do it right this time, but just don't understand how this second RX will be able to pick up signal if the first one can't!

wolfman76

the way i have understood i was told 450 and smaller all you need is the small antenna off the rx itself but 500 to 600 size birds use atleast one sat along with the rx anything bigger then that you use 2 sats using one sat or two along with the rx just increases the odds of the heli staying in contact with the tx but if you are planning to use the ikon controller you don't need to use the rx with it just use the ikon as your rx but you will need to use atleast one sat with it it has two ports on the ikon for connecting up to two sats with it you just have to bind it the the tx like you would the original rx especially since you will be using the dx8 i have the same setup on my hk500gt with the mshbrain which is exactly the same as the ikon i am only running one sat on mine.....

Tony

Staff member
I would actually say that you are not thinking scientifically enough. You need to think about how signals travel though the air. The signal from the antennas do not go straight out from the tip, that is a dead zone. If you have two of them, then if the Rx's are getting pounded with Rf interference, the one that is pointing right to the Tx will lose signal because of all of the "noise" around it, but the one that is perpendicular to the Tx will keep signal thus keeping the heli in the air.

You need to be safe with this helicopter. you are swinging 550mm blades that have a force that can easily break skin and bone. The helicopter you are flying has the power to kill someone. Why not take all of the precautions you can? It's about safety in this hobby.

think about a server for a computer (not sure if you know much about them). Each server that is half worth a crap has two cpu's, two psu's, 12+GB RAM all for redundancy. For even more redundancy, they stack multiple servers on top of each other all computing at the same time. If one goes down, the others pick up the slack. The same holds true for satellite Rx's.

DAL2855

Banned
Yeah but Wolfman I'm being told I need to run 2 SAT RX's on this setup. And I just can't get it figured out why I would need two because if the first one can't get signal from the radio, then neither can the second one. Because they are exactly the same distance away from the TX. Just because the antenna's are in different orientations on each RX doesn't mean anything. The fact of the matter is, that they are still exactly the same distance away from the TX. That is what makes the difference. And since I don't get the heli more than 50 ft away from me, I don't see the need for more than one.

- - - Updated - - -

Computers are my major in College Tony! Programming and Web design to be exact!

Tony

Staff member
Distance doesn't matter as much as orientation. Trust us on this. When all of the guys get on here that have done all of the reading on how these things work, they will post up exactly what I'm saying.

DAL2855

Banned
And yes I do wanna take all the precautions I can, but don't really see the point in having two RX's. If one can't get signal then neither can the second one. I guess maybe I'm thinking about this too much like the old CB antennas that I used to build and stuff like that that works on AM frequencies. I dunno but it's got me all kinds of confused here!

- - - Updated - - -

Distance is the number one thing when it comes to radio frequencies! Is how far away from each other the two antennas are to be able to transmit to one another!

- - - Updated - - -

The only time orientation of the antenna matters, is if you are running a ground plane on the antenna and since these are not, orientation of the antenna plays no factor in how far the antenna can transmit.

Tony

Staff member
Obviously I can't get through to you with my point. No sense in trying anymore. Trust me, it makes a difference.

DAL2855

Banned
I used to build my own mobile and base antenna's for CB's Tony so I would think I know a little bit about how antenna's work. Not trying to argue with you here, just trying to understand how the orientation of these antenna's really means anything. When working with a CB antenna, the only time orientation of the antenna matters, is if the antenna has a ground plane attached to it. Then it transmits in the direction of the ground plane. And since these don't have a ground plane attached to them, the transmit the same amount of power in all directions, not just one. So then how does it matter about the orientation of the antenna when it's transmitting the same exact amount of RF power in all 360 degrees of the antenna?

pvolcko

There's signal polarization, path linking (at these frequencies small differences in distance between sats can mean one gets signal while the other is in a signal node), simple failure of a sat or its wire, structural and signal interference and more to contend with. 450 and smaller ddon't usually get two sats because it is impractical and of marginal benefit. 500 and up there is space for it. The distances flown at incur higher risk of these issues occurring. Heli size and higher voltage power systems also increase these risks. Larger amounts of carbon fiber can lead to decreased signal strength in some orientations too.

Top Bottom