Another new member

Nade

Hello everyone!

Just found out about this blog site and immediately loved the looks of it! I'm told by a good friend of mine this is the place to be to avoid the idiots and thread hoarders found on other blog sites. I know about them, been there, done that so to speak.

I became hooked in the RC heli hobby about four years ago now. I've learned more from these forums than I have from my local club! And as such love helping others who love this hobby, and through that have gained some close friends!

While I started with smaller class helis, 250 class or smaller, I've learned at my age, now 62, the larger class helis are easier to see and fly. So to date I have the Goblin 630 and 770. I also just "invested" in a Bell 47GII offered by Vario, well known:scratchchin: for its roll in the TV series Mash. It has always been my all time favorite and most beautiful heli ever built.

All that being said, this heli is an approximate 800 class kit that overall is a well built heli but found numerous hardware missing and one major item learned to be not part of the kit after the fact.

I'm looking for anyone who has experience with a Heli from Vario. Any surprises or problems after starting the build?

'Life holds no guarantees" "you want to play? You gotta play!"

holtneil

Hi mate welcome so you have the goblin 630 and 770 Smoggie has both plus others too all large helis ,I have Trex 500 pro AH1 Cobra 500 scale and the Goblin 630 comp
Your have to post some video's of your helis and photos we all love to see them on here

trainrider06

Hi Rick, glad to see you! And check out Neil's really cool Cobra, and his other heli's, you'll find him a very pleasant and knowlegable guy, always willing to lend a hand, as a lot of other great people such as Steve, or "Smoogie". Tony, and some others have built a good thing here. But he is burning his candle at both ends a lot of times! Lol a busy busy guy. But a passionate guy about the R/C hobby!

Tony

Staff member
Mostly passionate lol. Get burnt out once in a while an have to take a cool down break. Probably going to need one after this latest server move. Wow that was a lot of work to set that server up.

Welcome to RCH! We MUST have pictures and any videos you have!!!

:welcome1:

trainrider06

Hopefully that'll change as far as wearing yourself out! Rick I feel is a great addition to the site...and will be a good fit!

trainrider06

yeah with you its pedal to the metal with everything you do it seems! Haha ya gotta stop for gas every now and then ya know! :wink:

Nade

Mostly passionate lol. Get burnt out once in a while an have to take a cool down break. Probably going to need one after this latest server move. Wow that was a lot of work to set that server up.

Welcome to RCH! We MUST have pictures and any videos you have!!!

:welcome1:

Thank you Tony for a wonderful welcome! Already loving your site! I do have some pics, and some video links at YouTube I can share with you. Mind you they're nothing exciting but if nothing else something to give you a chuckle from. I have a lot of time needed yet to advance my flying skills but at least I can successfully fly the collective pitch heli.

This first set of pics are of a Blade 230s I decided to build from the frame up. After seeing all the accessory parts available in different colors a decided I wanted to build one with a color scheme.

This is a link to the second test flight of the custom 230s. Custom built Blade 230s - YouTube

Here's a link for the video I sent Rodney Middlefield whose buying my Goblin 630.

Goblin 630 on 3/30/16 - YouTube

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Smoggie

Welcome Nade,

Nice helis! The Goblin 630 seems a popular heli around here. I've got one and it's a real hooligan of a heli, I wish i had the skill to push it like it deserves.

Here's my 630 last week, nothing very exciting except a slightly dorked landing:

Last edited by a moderator:

trainrider06

Oh you Goblin guys! Just torture me some more why don't ya! :wink:
Steve's a great guy Rick, has helped me a lot! And has some nice nice aircraft!

Admiral

Welcome to the forum Nate, good looking fleet you have there, can't wait to see your Bell47 build it also my favorite helicopter that kit is on my list.

Nade

Welcome to the forum Nate, good looking fleet you have there, can't wait to see your Bell47 build it also my favorite helicopter that kit is on my list.

Hello admiral, thanks for the nice welcome! And nice compliment! I see you're from way down under as we say up here. Great to chat with you! Love getting to know people from around the globe.

So the Bell 47's got you too. To me it is the most beautiful machine ever built! Finally found one! This build is not like a Goblin though. Major project, like building a huge model. Guess it'll be a good reason to keep in touch. I'll have some updated pics in the next couple days. Thanks again admiral!

Nade

Hi mate welcome so you have the goblin 630 and 770 Smoggie has both plus others too all large helis ,I have Trex 500 pro AH1 Cobra 500 scale and the Goblin 630 comp
Your have to post some video's of your helis and photos we all love to see them on here

Hello holtneil, thanks for the nice greeting! Don't know if you received my "original" response so I figured I write it up again. Responded I think yesterday but it doesn't show up anywhere in the thread. Man that Cobra 500 looks really sharp, and that's as your avatar! Love to see it blown up.

You're from the United Kingdom. If I ever traveled over seas that's where I would go first. Love the accent when listening to a Brit speaking! I have some pics & videos for you. The pics are more interesting than the videos though. The videos are just basic back & forth motions. Need to gain more flying skills. Haven't been able to get out as much as I'd like to.

I'll try to post a couple pics here I've done already. A Blade 230s custom built from the frame up. Wanted to do a color scheme and this is what I ended up with. The video is my second test flight in the garage. Not nice enough outside to test it out. Don't laugh too hard. Wouldn't want you to pull a muscle. :biglaugh:

Custom built Blade 230s - YouTube

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Smoggie

That Blade looks great. Is there any part that's not upgraded:) I dont normally 'do' small helis as they can be a bit frenetic to fly but my brief experience with a Blade 180 recently (before the dog attack) makes me think they might be worth another try.

By the way.. you are a braver man than i flying the goblin in your yard. I try never to fly close to any trees or other 'fixed objects' because i know from experience they are like RC plane/heli magnets.

Nade

That Blade looks great. Is there any part that's not upgraded:) I dont normally 'do' small helis as they can be a bit frenetic to fly but my brief experience with a Blade 180 recently (before the dog attack) makes me think they might be worth another try.

By the way.. you are a braver man than i flying the goblin in your yard. I try never to fly close to any trees or other 'fixed objects' because i know from experience they are like RC plane/heli magnets.

Hi Steve, sorry for the delay. I'm still getting used to the format on this site. Didn't see you reply right away. To answer your question about the 230s, the items that are "stock" are the ESC, receiver, and main & tail blades. Everything else is aftermarket. I used, I believe Turnigy servos with metal gears and the rest of the parts are from Micro-Heli or Rakon. The frame is from Rakon including most of the parts bought aftermarket. I changed brand names based on how I thought it would look with what I had in mind. I remember thinking I wanted a gold accented bird. And the way the accent was placed around the bird I thought was just enough to give the affect I was looking for. Only down side was the cost was more than I originally envisioned. One thing that really helped me there was an eBay auction I found at the nick if time. Guy was auctioning all the electronics, four batteries and a number of other items for $100.00. Receiver alone cost $100.00 over here. There was 4 minutes left on the clock with no bids so I waited till 10 seconds then placed my bid and got'em! That saved slot of money but in the end the cost was $400.00. Yeah, it was more than the stock. But it's my build and I keep it on the wall. BTW. it flys just as good as the stock version.

Yeah, I know I'm taking a chance in the back yard with the Gobblin but I did that for Rodney since he's buying it from me. Figured I don't need two Goblins when I bought the Mash Heli and Rodney really wanted it so I said why not.

Thanks for asking!

Rick

Nade

Hello again Keith, wanted to send you my latest pic of the Bell47. I decided I would make a couple stretchers for it and shelf the main batteries under them. They'll sit right at the center of gravity and maintain balance having one on each side. This was a mock up of how to place them. One mistake you might notice is the collective stick is in the wrong place. Didn't see it till this picture. Duh! :dizzy: Fortunately once I disassembled the cockpit I was able to move it without damaging the paint.

image.jpg

Smoggie

Nade,

That's a nice looking Bell. i've never tried scale helis. i used to do scale fixed wing 'back in the day' but lately i've got too lazy. Good luck when it comes to flying it.

Top Bottom