600 Airwolf 620 Build

Tony

Staff member
Re: By biggest endeavor yet!

2400 is a little high, 2250 is the max that you want to shoot for. Just lower your pinion tooth by 1 and you will be fine. Remember, this is at 100% throttle which you won't be in all the time. You can always set your throttle curve just a little lower to keep the motor from spinning up to 100% thus lowering your head speed.

So if YOUR ;) scale 620 sized heli was gonna spin up, max, at 2640, according to GT HEAD SPEED CALCULATOR, on a 10 tooth pinion, would you adjust settings or return motor for something else?

OR should I replace my stock 95/96 tooth main gear??
im trying to get the closest I can to a scale experience I can with a very controlled soft start etc.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member

The calculator you are using, is it going by 100% efficiency? If so, multiply that number by .85 to get your true head speed. And even then, that is under NO load. Once you are in the air, you are going to put a load on the motor, which is going to slow it down even more.

And yes, I would either use governor mode (you want more head speed than what you are going to run for a proper setup) and set the head speed right where I want it or I would use the throttle curve menu to dial it down. No lie, this is what I would do.

Thanks, Tony, thats all i needed to know! Im gonna get a list of everything I am about to install for one last look by all you experts before i open all the packages so that I can return anything you all think would definitely not benefit me or go together nicely. Thanks again.

OK, guys, everything is in and im ready to build. BUT before I start and dont have an option to return please let me know if ANYthing ive decided on just wont workd well together please. This is the jfull list BEFORE scale detailing. Motor - Align 600mx-1220kv, ESC-Align RCE-BL70G 70AMP w/gov, BEC-NAZA-m V2 PMU, Stabilization/Gyro - NAZA-H W/GPS, Receiver - Spektrum AR9310 9CH w/remotes, BATT- Diamond Label 60c,3200Mah 6S, Servos - Align DS 615 x 3, Align DS 655 x 1 and for retracts Protek 100T. Im excited and nervouse to get moving but really dont want to waste money so if something needs to go back??

That looks pretty decent to me. Can't think of anything else at this time.

Super Tony, then the build begins. :) one more question, when attaching plastic parts such as window, etc my son thinks i should use fiberglass resin? He isnt a modeler so what do you think? Also for attaching body parts suck as tail wings, etc.

Tony

Staff member

Are you talking about the windows on the scale fuselage? If do, I would use hot glue. Yeah, you heard me right lol. No permanent damage, and if you need to remove it, you can with little effort, but will hold very strong while flying.

Are you talking about the windows on the scale fuselage? If do, I would use hot glue. Yeah, you heard me right lol. No permanent damage, and if you need to remove it, you can with little effort, but will hold very strong while flying.

Great! I am set up for that, thanks, OK, another plea :) WHAT pinion do I get? I cant seem to find a 9/10 tooth pinion gear with 6mm bore for the align motor. Will ANY 6mm bore 9/10 tooth pinion work or is there more to consider? Its the one thing i forgot i still need.

I was able to return the Align and because of a deal I found I finally settled on a Scorpion Hk111-4025-730kv. Hopefully, with a 12 tooth pinion all will be better.

As far as blades go currently I received an Align CF 3G 600 set with the kit. What would be best for this scale setup??

Is there a better way? IS two bolts enough for strictly scale flying?
[video=youtube_share;0uGxc8KM6J8]http://youtu.be/0uGxc8KM6J8[/video]

murankar

Staff member
Try and get as many bolts in as possible. The more the better. If you can only get two it should work.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

pvolcko

If you use the two mounting blocks will the top of the engine be making contact with the body shell?

As to mounting bolts. 2 should be okay... I guess. I'd be a little iffy doing that with such a large heli. Can the bottom mounting plate be turned 90 degrees so you can use some long screws to draw things down on all four mounting holes in the motor?

Wow, Paul, PERFECT! Haha, I wnt and measured and if I turn it and trim to fit it leaves me with a more perfectly centered hole for the pinion and now I can use 4 bolts. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok here is my final "tentative" placement of electronics and NAZA but I am worried about how to wire in the BEC. Check out video and make any comments regarding how to wire in BEC or any placement changes suggested. Thanks!
[video=youtube_share;zq9nPzgztms]http://youtu.be/zq9nPzgztms[/video]

pvolcko

Yeah, extend the BEC source lines to the ESC source lines. Some people simply solder the BEC source lines in parallel with the ESC source lines. I typically put a small lower current connector (I use EC2, but you can use whatever you want, if you want) inline between that parallel solder point and the BEC, that way I can power up the BEC powered electronics from a smaller battery on the bench, without powering up the ESC and motor.

There are some example pics from my larger helis here: The best way to wire up.

Well I had to put everything together just to give me motivation to persevere with the wiring and to make sure everything is going to fit. In doing so I ran into a rather significant problem. The gps dome will not fit in the tail fuselage. Since it HAS to be away from the main blades to prevent signal loss I'm not sure how to mount and keep my scale look. Help again??
image.jpgimage.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, Tony... ;). I have been talking to others who are working on this heli and can never find any info. Can you change the title of this thread to Airwolf 620 Build do that others find it in their web searches??

- - - Updated - - -

Well I had to put everything together just to give me motivation to persevere with the wiring and to make sure everything is going to fit. In doing so I ran into a rather significant problem. The gps dome will not fit in the tail fuselage. Since it HASimage.jpg to be away from the main blades to prevent signal loss I'm not sure how to mount and keep my scale look. Help again??
image.jpgimage.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, Tony... ;). I have been talking to others who are working on this heli and can never find any info. Can you change the title of this thread to Airwolf 620 Build do that others find it in their web searches??

Would THIS mounting (with wires going directly into fuse) look acceptable, as sort of a radome type equipment? Or just tacky?

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, I've sure screwed up this post. Hope you all understand all my questions here.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

pvolcko

I've never known anyone to put GPS onto a scale heli. You're breaking new ground as far as I know. :)

IF you have to be clear of the main rotor, the you have little choice but to put it on the top of the tail like that. Maybe see if you can find some gloss black coating that heat shrinks that you can wrap it in, or maybe paint it gloss black to better match the fuselage.

Aside from that though, you have a flybar on this heli. Can a Naza + GPS work on a flybar heli? Normally the naza would do the job of the flybar.

cml001

Hummm.. Not sure bud.. But that is a good look'n fusalage.. Hopefully some one here knows about the naz gps.. I'm clueless one that one.

Top Bottom