600 Airwolf 620 Build

Tony

Staff member
Re: By biggest endeavor yet!

With this being a 600, you should think about some things that have come up in the last couple years. The whole reason they brought out the 550 class heli's is for those that want to run 6s. The 600 size helicopters really do need 8s or more.

IMO, I would first try it with 6s and see what you get. Get the 600MX motor with ESC to match, then the servos that I posted before. That is were I would start and I think there are a few that would back me up on that.

Thanks Tony! And I am going to leave it flybar red until finished and then, by that time, I'm sure I will be proficient enough to make any changes neccessary to make it even truer to scale.

cml001

U will still need an external BEC.. The Castle BEC PRO would be a good fit... I think they are under $40 bucks... Try experience rc.com.. A lot of the time they are a bit cheaper than heli direct.... And usually a day or two quicker on the shipping... Iv been getting a good bit from them lately... I like'm... But u definitely need an external BEC..... If you are setting up that way.

heli-maniac

Ok, here is what I am about to order for this months budget towards this heli (thanks to some Christmas gift cards). Let me know why I shouldn't (if I shouldn't) or if this is over/under kill for my application. Im ready to order the align mx600 motor and Castle Creations Phoenix Edge Lite 130 25V 130-Amp Brushless ESC w/5-Amp BEC [CSE010-0110-00] | RC Helicopters - A Main Hobbies which is a castle creations Edge Lite 130 amp w/5 volt bec ESC.
How many cells are you planing on using

xokia

I wouldn't buy the edge lite if it were me. I'd buy the standard edge 130 if you plan to stay 8S or less. If you intend to run a higher voltage I'd get the edge 120HV.

I'd buy the CC BEC pro to runs the RX

U will still need an external BEC.. The Castle BEC PRO would be a good fit... I think they are under $40 bucks... Try experience rc.com.. A lot of the time they are a bit cheaper than heli direct.... And usually a day or two quicker on the shipping... Iv been getting a good bit from them lately... I like'm... But u definitely need an external BEC..... If you are setting up that way.

It has a BEC built in so why would I still need an external?

- - - Updated - - -

How many cells are you planing on using

I plan on running low voltage and 6s.

heli-maniac

Buy a Yep 100a ESC you will not have a problem out of it and will not need the CC BEC For just scale Flying
600Mx 1200KV motor. Update The Gearing to the Helical 112 main and 131 Auto and a 12 Tooth Pinion
Or for just a little more money you can get this motor Scorpion HKIII-4020-1350KV - Scorpion Power System
I flew my 550 with the Yep 100a and the 600mx for a year with out a ex BEC didnt have any problems out of it even with the 615 and 655 servos
Now I did add the CC BEC pro to it when I stretched it But I Am working on mild 3D. Did it help I cant tell anything has changed with it

Thanks guys, really! I don't want to get off to a regrettable start so choosing my power system is, obviously, a huge decision and I want to get it right. I've put off my purchase till I go over your suggestions. Thanks.

pvolcko

Yeah, for scale flight you really don't need the CC BEC Pro, the 5Amp built in should be fine. I'd also go with the standard 130 Edge, not the lite. The cooling inside that fusalage is going to be be limited, you'll want the additional heat sinking that the standard edge has vs the lite. 600MX sounds like a good choice. Before buying make sure it will fit in the frame (look on align's website for specs on the motor, or do a google search).

Please tell me I am missing something simple but right now I'm a bit worried as returning this huge thing isn't really an option and after talking to them last week they are hardly any help but, hopefully, I'll get some good tips here and not have to go back to them. My problem? I have mounted the mechanics and they seem to be WAY OFF to the left! If I bring swash (manually) all the way up it hits the fuse. This can't be right can it?

- - - Updated - - -

Oops... Here's the pics. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tony

Staff member

Yeah, that doesn't look right. Worst case, I would shim that left side up to push the main shaft to the right.

Perfect, Tony, thanks. I think that's gonna work just fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Fortunately, though, I discovered that the metal box under the frame is adjustable which made for a very quick fix and a little color in my face. :(

Ok, I went with your all's advice on servos and just received 3 align 615's, 1 655, and 1 protect servo for the retractable wheels. Now it's time for my next items and need to know: what does a governor do that an esc doesn't? And would it be beneficial for this scale project? And what is the best way to supply all the lighting for the cockpit, dummy turbines, outer lights etc? Just an inside separate batt pack or is there someway to control it from the tx? Thanks again!!

murankar

Staff member
The gov will make every effort to maintain a constant head speed regardless of load. Most ESCs have them but for the most part suck. Kontronic and Castle Creations have fairly decent govs in them, based on the reviews I have seen.

Multi-gov is supposed to be really good also and works with most 6 channel radios. For scale you might be able to get away with just doing a flat throttle curve since your not loading the head all that much. If you want to use a gov i would suggest using the Castle Creations esc and call it a day.

I almost forgot, iKon is supposed to have a great gov in it too. Basically some of the mid to upper and fbl units are building in govs.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Last edited:

pvolcko

I agree, CC gov is pretty good. It's certainly all you'd need in a scale flight envelope. CC ESCs also have good slow spool up options which look particularly good on scale helis.

While Ikon's built in governor is very good, too, I don't know if it is really necessary. IF you do decide to go this route make sure to get one of the new CC Edge ESCs since they have an output that can be configured to have the motor phase signal on it, which you'll feed into the Ikon's gov post via an adapter cable (Servo to JST adapter (ARW-JST) - HeliDirect -- Best Customer Services, Fast Shipping, Great). Otherwise you'll need the adapter cable and a rpm sensor (RPM Sensor (RPM-Sensor) - HeliDirect -- Best Customer Services, Fast Shipping, Great Selections and).

If you use the CC governor then no need for any additional parts. It's all handled inside the ESC.

Ok, here is where i am on this build; I have Align 615's for cyclic, Align 655 for tail, ProTek 100T servo for landing gear. Just ordered Align RCE-BL70G 70Amp ESC W/Gov, Revolectrix Diamond Label 6S 60C 3200mAh batt, Align 600MX 510KV motor and Spektrum AR9020 9-Channel XPlus receiver. I still need a BEC, Gyro/Stabilazation system and pinion gear. You've given me some good suggestions on the BEC but here are my questions. What size pinion for this motor on a scale machine? If I buy a stabilization system like NAZA does that replace any need for a GYRO? And if I stay with a GYRO then my receiver is all I need to complete this? Thanks again!
Bill

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
The only thing we need to know is your main gear tooth count, unless someone knows that already. Then we can figure out a head speed for you.

Next the naza is a gyro, along with any of the ones mentioned earlier at the beginning.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Top Bottom