600 Adjusting headspeed

DAL2855

Banned
Ok so I tach'd the headspeed on my 550 this evening using the gov in the YEP 100a ESC, as I don't have the Ikon just yet, and it's showing about 2550-2580 rpm on the head without the blades installed. I know it will lose about 200-250 rpm when the blades are installed, but that still leaves me right at about 2300rpm's on the head. I'm running an 11T pinion with the stock straightcut 170T main gear. And am running at 70-80% on the throttle curve flat from mid stick up. My question is how can I change the headspeed now? I know with the Ikon's governor, can't I change the gain and it will change the headspeed? Is there any way to do this with the gov in the YEP ESC? Is it by changing the Gov-P and Gov-I gains in the ESC setup? right now I have them set at 1.4 Gov-P gain and 0.08 Gov-I gain. I even tried the 1.2 Gov-P and 0.06 Gov-I gains and this didn't change anything on the head speed. It tach'd the same on both settings.

DAL2855

Banned
I know about doing that, but I was wanting to decrease the headspeed closer down to around 1800-2000 rpm but don't wanna put a 10T pinion on it as it's a little too thin and have heard about them shattering in flight!

DAL2855

Banned
I'm really not wanting to drop the TC down that low. I'd really like to keep it up in the 70-80% range. Don't want the motor getting too hot because of dropping the TC too low. Guess I just need to wait until I get the DX8 and Ikon in my hands and get the Ikon installed and gov hooked up and see how it performs verses the one in the ESC.

DAL2855

Banned
No I haven't on this bird, but I know that dropping the TC too low will cause the motor to get hot and I don't want to chance it.

Tony

Staff member
IT's either install a 10t pinion, or drop your T-Curve. Those are the only two options. I guess you can do it with a dead battery, but that kinda defeats the purpose.

DAL2855

Banned
Adjusting the gain on the Ikon governor wouldn't lower the headspeed? I'm new to all of this so trying to figure out what my options are here. It's safe to drop the TC down that low Tony? It won't overheat the motor by doing this? I thought the lower your TC, the hotter the motor gets?

Tony

Staff member
Adjusting the gain does the exact same thing as lowering the T-Curve. Except with a Gov, it will add power when the head speed falls, and reduce throttle when the head speed unloads.

Tony

Staff member
If you were running 100% with that head speed that you were talking about, then lower it to 80% and you should be fine. with the YEP ESC Gov, you want to run a flat 85% anyway until you get your ikon going.

DAL2855

Banned
This is at a 70% throttle curve Tony and it's turning the 2550-2580 rpm on the Tach. I tried the 85% and it was at almost 2700 rpm on the top end when I tach'd it so dropped it down to the 70% TC and this was the rpm I got. I really didn't want to drop it below the 70% mark but looks like I may have too, but I'm afraid of the motor getting too hot. Because this rpm is way too high right? It should be down alot closer to 1800-2000 right?

Tony

Staff member
If your that high, then you need to lower the pinion count. Your not flying in the power band of the brushless motor. They make the most power at about 80-85% throttle. Same with nitros.

DAL2855

Banned
Yeah I know, but it's way too dangerous to drop to a 10T pinion on the motor Tony, I've heard about too many of them exploding in flight. I'm not taking any more chances with this heli. Once it's fixed this time, I don't want to have to do any more repairs too it.

I just dropped the TC to a 60% and it was between 1950-2100 rpm on the head without blades. Right about where it should be once the blades are installed.

Derek

dropping to a 10T pinion would not be more dangerous than the 11T pinion that you are running. The lower tooth pinion would give you less head speed and would not overwork the motor. The motor would be working harder with the 11T pinion. You'd have better chances of the heli exploding with the 11T pinion than the 10T pinion. Just try the 10T pinion and I think the results you get will surprise you.

DAL2855

Banned
No offense Derek, but I've heard of way too many of those 10T gears exploding in flight due to the metal being too thin. I really don't want to take that chance.

DAL2855

Banned
There's got to be something else I can do to lower the headspeed besides going to a 10T pinion. Those pinions are way too dangerous on a 5mm shaft. The metal is way too thin. Plus I can't even find one anyways. Not for what I want to pay for one anyways. I'm not paying 10.00 for a darn pinion gear, when I only paid 2.50 for this 11T and 12T pinion from HD.

Tony

Staff member
Pinion or curve, those are your only two options. There is no other way to lower the head speed.

Top Bottom