600 Adjusting headspeed

pvolcko

Get a main gear with a higher tooth count. Will have less effect than a pinion change, but it will help. Can also switch to a lower reving motor.

As for gov gain adjustments lowering or raising headspeed. They do not. They will change how aggressively the gov will increase or decrease throttle to achieve desired headspeed, but changing those will not lower or increase steady state headspeed. To change headspeed with a gov you have to input a different desired headspeed. If it takes 60% throttle then that is what it takes, gov or throttle curve doesn't matter.

Last edited:

DAL2855

Banned
Or I found the Align 600 10T pinion on ebay

Align T Rex 600 Motor Pinion Gear 10T H60055 | eBay

- - - Updated - - -

Or I found the Align 600 10T pinion on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390380754473&fromMakeTrack=true

- - - Updated - - -

You can't get a higher tooth count main gear for this bird. Or if you can, I've never seen it. I've only seen two different gears for it, the standard straight cut 170T or the Helical 112T gear. As far as I know, these are the only two available for it. You couldn't fit anything larger than the 170T anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

With the Ikon, I can input the desired headspeed, but then, what TC do I run once I input that desired head speed?

heli-maniac

This is so FN funny thinking a 10tooth pinion will blow up. this coming from the one that installed a 6mm pinion on a 5mm shaft with tape
If you want the right head speed go to a 112 helical gear with a 11 tooth pinion there is a good reason why they come in the new Align kits
common sense is your friend
My 550 will not even fly under a head speed of 2200

Derek

This is so FN funny thinking a 10tooth pinion will blow up. this coming from the one that installed a 6mm pinion on a 5mm shaft with tape
If you want the right head speed go to a 112 helical gear with a 11 tooth pinion there is a good reason why they come in the new Align kits
common sense is your friend
My 550 will not even fly under a head speed of 2200

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

DAL2855

Banned
That is going to drive my HS up even farther Jesse!!!! The exact opposite of what I am trying to do! I should be looking for 1800-2000 rpm correct?

DAL2855

Banned
And yes those 10T pinions do explode in flight! I've read about them in several other forums about it happening! And every single one of them said it was because the pinions are too thin of a wall and the pinion can't take the stress and explodes in flight!!!

- - - Updated - - -

So then Tony, I would be safe running the 70% throttle curve correct? Cause it will lose 200-250 rpm when I install the blades correct? verses spooling without them.

Derek

Well, then here is my suggestion. You just do what you think you need to do. To me, it seems that you are stuck in your own "train of thought" and you aren't going to listen to anything that any of us say. I think you are just trying to increase your post count by arguing that the 10T pinion is gonna explode. You mentioned, above, that you are waiting on a DX8 and the Ikon. I suggest that you wait until you have your DX8 and your Ikon. We can argue about this more then.

Tony

Staff member
As long as it does not go over 2500 rpm on the head speed, then you "should" be okay. I can not say this for a fact, I have not done much research on it, all I know is the MAX I run my 600 at is 2150. But I have READ that you can go to 2500 on the 550's. 2200 seems to be the most common though.

Just an FYI to everyone, this thread is about two smart ass posts away from being closed. I'm not singling anyone out here, I'm just sayin'. If we can't keep it civil in here, I will close this thread, or delete it completely from the forum. Keep it clean guys, we are all here to help each other.

DAL2855

Banned
I just went on Mr. Mel's head speed calculator and looked up the headspeed for using the 112T slant gears and it's giving me 5416 rpm at 85% TC. And this is with the KV of my motor which is 1650kv and using the YGE Gov Store since he doesn't have the YEP Gov Store as an option. So I don't know why in the heck I would want to get the slant gears it will more than double my headspeed.

DAL2855

Banned
That's what it gave me Derek! I was like what in the world! I used the Main gear pull down menu and selected the Trex 550 slant gear and put into the box for the pinion, the 11T pinion gear that Jesse suggested and then input the 1650kv for my motor, then selected enable governor and YGE Gov store and then hit calculate and that's the figures it gave me!

Tony

Staff member
And right there is the issue we are having here. You are running 1650kv and not the 1220 that this kit was designed around. When this kit was designed, it was done so with the 600MX Align motor. If this was my helicopter, I would be ordering that 10T pinion.

DAL2855

Banned
Oh I see where I screwed up Derek! I forgot to change the cell count of the battery! It was on 10S not 6S! But even still it is giving me

Throttle 60%: 2810
Throttle 65%: 2898
Throttle 70%: 2986
Throttle 75%: 3074
Throttle 80%: 3162
Throttle 85%: 3249
Throttle 90%: 3337
Throttle 95%: 3425

Now that I changed it from 10S to 6S, this is the new numbers it gave me. Still way too high!

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
And right there is the issue we are having here. You are running 1650kv and not the 1220 that this kit was designed around. When this kit was designed, it was done so with the 600MX Align motor. If this was my helicopter, I would be ordering that 10T pinion.

I'm quoting my own post because this is the ROOT cause of your issues. Your KV is just too high for that helicopter.

DAL2855

Banned
Well according to Jesse's numbers, mine should be spot on with the 11T pinion if he says he's flying with 2800 rpm headspeed in ID2. Have you actually tach'd the head Jesse to see what the actual HS is?

- - - Updated - - -

And I'm not changing to a 12S setup Tony. I want to stay with the 6S setup.

DAL2855

Banned
I was thinking for some odd reason that the MX was a 12S motor. But it's got a 6mm shaft, so I wouldn't have a pinion to fit it anyways. But I just looked up the numbers on Mr. Mels for the MX motor, and with the slant gears and 85% TC, it's giving me 2400 rpm's for the HS.

Top Bottom