550 X Pro Flights

pvolcko

Get some altitude and have at it. Just remember to commit to it. Don't start it and then chicken out because that's when things go horribly wrong. :) Once you push that cyclic stick in a direction keep it there until the maneuver is completed. Don't freak out on the collective. If you're one tick above zero collective to hover right side up then you want to be one tick below zero when it is upside down and back to one tick over when it is upright again.

Start high and make sure you have some space around the heli on all directions so you don't feel confined, then give it a go.

pvolcko

Flight 57:

[video=youtube_share;MoBIC-NF17E]http://youtu.be/MoBIC-NF17E[/video]

Some tic-toc practice. first attempts at 4 point flips and rolls.

pvolcko

Elevator rolls were okay. Wandering way too much, but okay. Ail were falling through before I could catch each point. Might be a difference in the roll rate between ail and ele. Was also windy that day and the cross wind may have been helping push the ail roll stops through. But, this was the first time doing them. Never simed or even tried with the 300. Mood just struck and tried them.

pvolcko

Flight 58: More 4 point rolls and flips. Little bit of improvement on the rolls.

[video=youtube_share;Q2_9lopgKwU]http://youtu.be/Q2_9lopgKwU[/video]

I took this heli out to the club field later in the day. Ended up crashing. Need to do some testing on it, but bottom plate, skids, rear scag are definitely toast. There is a scuff on the boom, but it doesn't look bent at all. Going to pull the tail case and the TT to see if there is any bend in it. Will be pulling the blades to check spindle and main shaft (spin up). No gear damage from the looks of things and the impact happened at low head speed so I'm hopeful there isn't anything else bent or broke. Still, the parts I need so far I do not have, so will not be up in the air for a week or so.

heli-maniac

Sorry to hear about the crash Paul but thats just part of the game
You will have back in the air before i get mine back up
I did score a real good deal on the tail parts for mine should have them in a day or so

pvolcko

Just finished up crash damage investigation and parts order. Main and spindle are good. No resistance in torque tube movement or unreasonable vibrations. I ordered up boom and TT just in case. Skids, bottom plate, and scag were the only repairs needed, parts on order. Took the opportunity to clean up and lube main bearings, OWB, etc. Everything appears to be holding up well. A slight bit of notch in the top main bearing. Nothing to worry about at the moment. Will be careful to oil it a little more often.

Also ordered up a few parts for the 300X (canopy most importantly). First time in a long time to order parts for that one. Of course I have enough spare parts already here to build one out from scratch minus FBL, ESC, and motor. :)

stokke

You are getting very good Paul! Keep it up :D

As we all know, crashing is part of the game - just get back out there!

pvolcko

Tried a half piro flip. The bummer is that I managed to get it righted from the missed attempt but I had already hit TH when things got initially squirrely. I tried to start it back up but it was too close to me and the ground by then, not enough time to spin it up in recovery mode so had to turn it off again and let it go in.

Tony

Staff member
Suckage. I can do them all day long in the sim, but I have yet to bring myself to try them in real life lol. Hope you get it repaired soon.

pvolcko

I need to sim them more. I busted up my 300X and 550X trying them now. Not trying with the 700 or the new one (build thread and maiden coming soon!) until I get them nailed with these two helis.

pvolcko

I did. And it was out a fair distance away from me. If I had flown through the minor mistake on the half flip it would have been fine, but I hit TH and by the time I had things corrected the headspeed was too low and it had lost too much altitude to spin back up in time.

Tony

Staff member
It's times like this that the knee jerk reaction of hitting TH is a pain. However, it's still a good reaction to have. You will get them. I might just take my SE V2 out and give them a try. I have crashed it twice and the cost has been less than $10 for both crashes lol. Keep it up, you will get it.

pvolcko

Yup. Goal is to get the half piro flip (both halves) fairly locked down before the weather turns too cold. Then work on them and more with the mcpxbl through the winter. Also work variations on the sim (complete piro flips, full piro flips, double piro flips, etc).

pvolcko

Well, got the parts and got it up for a test flight. All good once again. Ended up that I was able to glue to skids back together. Had to replace tail stab and bottom plate. Boom has a ding in it, but that was from my take off tip over "crash" long ago. Also pulled the head and main shaft, cleaned and lubed the main bearings, OWB, motor, etc. Feathering and main shafts checked out straight. No blade damage. I'm actually amazed how little damage this thing got considering the angle and speed of the impact. Another plus on the 550X I guess: It's pretty robust. :)

I do need to find an alternative to the carbon tail stab. They are too expensive and this is the second one I've had to replace. Would like to find a good plastic alternative. That or I may use one as a template for a wood one.

pvolcko

Got the 550X bound up to the new DX9. Test flight, kinda boring. Some tic toc and half piro practice toward the end.

[video=youtube_share;Buvn_SYB_ko]http://youtu.be/Buvn_SYB_ko[/video]

Top Bottom