550 X Pro Flights

pvolcko

Starting a flight thread, separate from my old build thread. To catch up:

Maiden

Flight 3

Flight 7

And today, flight 8 (9 to follow, maybe 10)

Finally got some good weather. Starting to get a bit more comfortable flying it. Got permission from the neighbors to fly over their yard, which helped reduce some in-flight restrictions and stress. Did my first sustained period of idle up flight in this one (last 4 minutes). Starting to play with some high bank stall turns. Also need to work on my altitude control. Idle up helped since it is easier to bleed altitude and maintain positive control and flight attitude, but still need to put some focus on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adam

Very nice paul. Keep it up and this site will train and have the best pilots around.

pvolcko

Flight 9
[video=youtube_share;SAVi8cRWlkw]http://youtu.be/SAVi8cRWlkw[/video]

Seem to getting a lot of tail rotation on pitch bumps this flight. Also pitching forward and right a bit. Not going to screw with settings on the 7200bx yet for this stuff.

Wind picked up a bit for this flight too. Idle up helped smooth out things.

Flight 10

Lasted 15 seconds, including spin up. Got it about 5 inches off the ground and got my nose-in left/right reversed and main blade scraped it to the heli's left into the ground. Lesson learned, I'm *not* good enough to do nose in take offs yet.

Damage list so far:
  • Tail fin
  • One canopy mount
  • One servo horn
  • One servo-swash link
  • Bearing in middle bearing block (probably not crash related).

Main blades appear to have held up. No cracking or fractures that I've found so far (either laying on the table or with some flex stress applied). Despite them leaving some nice divots in the yard. Tail blades also look in good condition. Both main and tail blades have some marks from where they hit the blade holders. Plastic tail blades I'm not worried about. CF main blades have be a bit worried. But I think they're ok. Cleaned the mud and dirt off the tips and all seems well.

Took apart the head. Feathering shaft is fine. I noticed on the inner thrust bearing races that there were little marks. Recall that when I was putting it together that I felt a slight/subtle "bumpiness" when rotating the holders. I think this is what was causing it, slight imperfections in the machining of the race. They just show up now with the darkened old grease on them. Anyway, cleaned everything, relubed, and back together (TL too!).

Main shaft is good. Ran it with the head off and no perceptible wobble to sight or touch. Took the main gear assembly out. One tooth on the main gear got sheared off. Don't believe it is a problem but would appreciate input from you guys. Cleaned and relubed the OWB and spacer washer.

Oddly, the bearing in the middle main shaft support block is very notchy. Tried cleaning with brake cleaner and relubing. It helped a bit, but still sticking bad. I reoiled the bearings after the 7th flight (without tearing it down, just what I could reach which did include this bearing). So I have to replace the bearing or perhaps the whole block. Will see what I can find parts wise.

I don't believe this bearing is related to the crash. As I said, the main shaft is undamaged and I find it hard to believe the middle block, instead of the top or bottom block, would have taken the brunt of the crash force. Instead I think maybe there was a slight misalignment of the blocks around the main shaft from the start and the middle one was getting too much lateral pressure, resulting in bearing heating and premature failure.

Tail: with the main gear out, the tail spun freely with no perceptible binding or notchiness. Slider was good. When I spun it up under power earlier there was no evidence of a bent tail rotor shaft. Dabbed with alcohol and relubed everything. Took the tail rotor assembly off the shaft to make sure the holders were still free rotating and tight to the hub, all good. No evidence that the tail boom was bent or otherwise damaged. Gears on front and back of tube all look good with no damage or binding.

So I think I got lucky on this one, assuming I'm not missing something.

I have to put the main gear back in and spin it up. I was seeing much more wobble (up and down, like in my build thread video, but exaggerated by comparison). Hoping the tear down and rebuilt straightened something out. If not, may need to replace something, after I figure out what is causing it.

There is video. However, at the moment, shame prevents me from viewing it, much less posting it. :)

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
If you are flying in normal mode, you are going to blow the tail out no matter what gyro/servo combo you are using. Kick it into idle up and give it a go. If you were in idle up, then disregard this lol. I'm very busy here at work tonight and trying to catch up on the forum while I can. So no time for videos. But, from what I have read, sounds like this is turning out to be a rather good bird! Can't wait until I have the time to actually watch them!

Sucks about the crash. Nose in take-off's are hard for anyone. If anything, always do tail in. or maybe side in. Hope you get it repaired soon.

pvolcko

Hi Tony, the tail blow out is happening on idle up. I think I need to crank up some the gyro gain a bit to keep up with it on a hard pitch change.

On the nose-in take off. Yeah. I've done them plenty of times with the nano and a couple with the 550. Just forgot what I was doing. I got the vid uploading now. You can see in it that I didn't just dumb thumb it. I dumb headed it too. Even before it got of the ground. Just a moron move. The parts to fix it 100% will be 50ish I think. Going to buy up some extras of other items while I'm at it. Not a full set of replacements. Tail gear sets, full parts for main & auto gear assembly, main and feathering shaft. New thrust bearings for the head since they were a touch off from the start. Maybe an auto gear set too which will give me a replacement for all the white plastic gears end to end. Extra set of tail blades. That'll be it for now. Not looking to have a full replacement part set for the thing on hand.

Vid is up:
[video=youtube_share;JA28G300ots]http://youtu.be/JA28G300ots[/video]

Oh, the stupid. It hurts.

Was a bit wrong on the initial post about it. I had thought I got some small bit of altitude. Turns out it only ever skimmed the ground. Had I given it some gas I may have had time to realize my mistake and correct. As it was, it hung up on the ground before my brain kicked in to gear.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
That video I was able to watch as it was pretty short. Don't beat yourself up bro. There are times when we need to push ourselves to advance in our flying. Now you know, keep your fingers on the sticks and add a little right aileron to keep it in one place.

However, I do think you need to add a little gain to the aileron as well. It should not have tipped over like that. the gyro should have stopped it from doing so by automatically giving right aileron to it. You want to go up until you start to get an aileron shake, then back it down about 5% and call it good.

Chin up bro, it gets better :biggrin1:

pvolcko

IT was all me, Tony. :) My fingers were on the sticks. It went heli left because I was feeding it very slight left ail. As you can see in the vid, I was actually tipping my head left even before it lifted. Where I had it on the ground for lift off was tipped a bit heli left (right from my perspective) so I naturally thumbed in some left ail as it was lifting so it didn't go right (heli left) upon takeoff. It is natural at this point to me to correct this kind of uneven takeoff position, much like gas and clutch in a standard transmission car, it just happens automatically. Unfortunately my input was exactly the opposite of what I should have been doing to correct for nose-in. Swash gain is good. Thumb direction needs reversing. :)

Last edited:

stokke

You're getting good Paul! Nice circuits ;)

Nose in take off is sort of advanced. As your brain has taught itself what to do when taking off tail in, you'll have to force yourself not to act as you'd usually do - this is hard! When I take off nose in, I always remember to get some altitude before stirring the cyclics.

Now re-build, and try again! :D

murankar

Staff member
Yeah just go into the tx reversing menu and reverse your thumbs. Easy fix, too bad about the crash though. Build crash rebuild maintain.

pvolcko

Marius, I did a couple with the 550 before. Got too confident with them. On the prior ones I managed to adjust forward/back correctly, but it was taking off from a pretty level spot in the yard. Oh well. I'll rebuild, but won't be trying nose-in take-off again for a while. Need to get much more practice on nose in hover first. Got a bit too far ahead of my skill set.

Matthias, thing is, if I did have an internal thumb reversing switch, I just know my mind would still screw me over and start doing it the right way, which would then be the wrong way. :)

Lee

Some great flying, shame about the crash. Try nose in landings before you try nose in take offs. They are easier.

pvolcko

The 550 flies again!

Flight 11
[video=youtube_share;_ze-lkQix-w]http://youtu.be/_ze-lkQix-w[/video]

Flight 12
[video=youtube_share;r1FMNQ4ayhg]http://youtu.be/r1FMNQ4ayhg[/video]

pvolcko

Two more flights from today. First I'm primarily working hovering orientations (side on, no nose in this flight). Second I'm working collective management in forward flight, trying to keep steady altitude and most importantly keep it from climbing at every turn.

[video=youtube_share;QcviO_wlRkw]http://youtu.be/QcviO_wlRkw[/video]

Second vid uploading now, will post when its up.

pvolcko

Flight 15: First after the 300X crash. Orientation hovering for the most part. Got it a bit too close for comfort at one point. :)

[video=youtube_share;y53uv8E-0pU]http://youtu.be/y53uv8E-0pU[/video]

pvolcko

Flight 17: Forward flight. Developed a small bit of tail oscillation. Need to inspect things and see if anything is coming loose or is binding.

[video=youtube_share;e3YYaSwgL6k]http://youtu.be/e3YYaSwgL6k[/video]

pvolcko

Thanks, Marius. Yeah. Using an epbuddy 5300mAh 6S (35C continuous) and a turnigy (non-nanotech) 5000mAh 6S (35-45C). In normal flight mode I can easily get 10 minutes on each (epbuddy starts falling out of the sky around 13 minutes, ooops!). Idle up cuts that back to 8-9 max. So I set the timer to 7m30s or so and depending on what type of flying I'm doing I either set it down quick or maybe fly and extra minute or so. Just got a nano-tech 6S 5000mAh delivered so will be trying that out soon.

Actually I don't know if I've done a full idle up flight to test the timer on this thing. I usually do half a flight of idle up. Need to do that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom