550 X Pro Flights

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
Congratz, man. First step into 3D! What camera did you use? The picture is so nice and crisp, I can see the bugs zipping around.

pvolcko

Thanks.

GoPro Hero (no stinking 2 or 3, original Hero!) It's not bad. I use a head strap rig for it on these flights.

pvolcko

Flight 23

[video=youtube_share;FIQMWKn0JXg]http://youtu.be/FIQMWKn0JXg[/video]

Interesting negative pitch moment (heli coming right at me skids down), took be a second to realize what was happening. :)

Otherwise some more flip and roll practice. New DR and expo settings and switch assignment. Some orientation hovering in a light wind.

Last edited:

pvolcko

Flight 28 from the STARS field in Phoenix, NY

[video=youtube_share;0ZvxK1dbraU]http://youtu.be/0ZvxK1dbraU[/video]

Ken Jackson

Nice solid flight. Loved the big vertical loop in the beginning and your cork screw barrel roll was pretty tight!

Ken
:applouse::applouse:

pvolcko

Thanks guys! Need to work on my banked turns into myself. Going away from myself I've got no issues either direction, but coming into myself I tend to chicken out and cut them short, using a lot of rudder to skid through and make it too tight.

pvolcko

Got the new ESC on it, finally. Went with a CC Edge 120HV since I could actually get one in a few days, as opposed to weeks of backorder on the 130A Edge.

Had a few surprises in the test flight to work through:

Last edited by a moderator:

pvolcko

Wow, been a while since I posted a vid here. There's been flights and video, just haven't had time to edit and post. Here's one from today. No testing or tweaking. Just a pure flight. Enjoyed it. :)

[video=youtube_share;fCKDTXqpPUw]http://youtu.be/fCKDTXqpPUw[/video]

Interesting sequence of moves around 4:00. Side flight into large roll, inverted push out, then... not entirely sure what I was thinking to do there. Half flip and quarter turn into inverted FF, half roll and 180 turn to bring it back? Almost looked like I meant to do it. :) I didn't freak out at any point during the flight and I only remember doing the side roll and inverted push out. huh...

Last edited:

pvolcko

Thanks. Haven't been able to fly as much as I like. Work has been and continues to be crazy. Basically one flight a day, 3-4 times a week.

pvolcko

Flight 49

Bad flips and rolls (don't know why I was so off). Cleaned them up eventually. Then some inverted hovering (nose in). And rounded off with some continued work on tic tocs. Trying to tighten things up, but finding it difficult. Can do short rainbows, but when I try to bring it to the point of pivoting my collective use is too much and ends up ruining things. Practice practice practice.

[video=youtube_share;7518ThkBKAE]http://youtu.be/7518ThkBKAE[/video]

Last edited:

Ken Jackson

Sweet, man you have really improved. Congratulatoons. Your flips are tight wouldn't change a thing. I was having the same problem with rolls for a while. What worked for me was to bump a little positive just before the roll and then stay at center stick through the roll. No positive no negative. Seems a little weird at first but you will get tight rolls that way. The little bump at the beginning will keep the Heli stAtionary during the roll with minimal altitude loss. You shouldn't really notice the Heli move upward when you bump it. It will just look like you spun it on a wire. Roll with no altitude change.

Good luck!

Ken

Last edited:

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
Practice practice practice is correct. that's all I do now at field, rarely fly around now I just try to perfect certain moves. looking good by the way.

pvolcko

Thanks guys. Not sure why I was so off to start with in the flight. I was holding the heli in a 1 foot cube through all the flips and rolls this past weekend. I'm starting to try my hand and slower roll/flip rates so I can't depend on the bump and roll trick, Ken. Need to have my collective locked in through every phase. Eventually I'll get them into 4 point flips and rolls.

Just buried my 300X trying half piro flips. For some reason I'm smiling about it. Got two completed then something went wacky and put it in nose first. Blades snapped in half, canopy toast, tail looks good. skids okay. main gear good (guess I hit TH soon enough, it was close). Sure feathering and main shaft are bent, but need to get the blades off and spin it to see. Main blade grip and link (again). Still, I'm smiling. :)

Ken Jackson

I'm flying the 3GX and I find the default flip rate is good but I am going to up the roll rate, mine needs to be a hair quicker.

Top Bottom