450 450 HK vs TREX?

gravybird

oh wow, I can get the sport super combo, which is everything but the receiver and batteries for around 400 even on either of those sites.

gravybird

a glimmer in my eye, an empty savings account, and a angry wifey. sounds like the main ingredients to this hobby:encouragement:

gravybird

hey Tony, does the thunder ac6 charger have a shut off if one of the cells goes bad, and any of the cells goes over 4.2v? One of those align dealers I was just talking to, recommended to check that out.

Tony

Staff member
Yes, it will only charge to 12.6 volts on a 3s battery (4.2 volts per cell) and it won't even charge if there is a bad cell. It's perfectly safe to use.

gravybird

Ok than that's what I was looking for. Make sure it won't try and cram 12.6 volts into two cells and start a fire:-} has anyone on here ever had a battery fire?

Tony

Staff member
Um, about half, maybe a little less. If I was to build it just like the super combo, I think I can do the Pro for about $180 if I remember correctly. But, that does not include all of the extras you have to purchase that are align.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Thanks breeze:) ill check those out for sure. Do you have any opinions on a good 450 model for a noob?

I'm not that knowledgable on a 450. I bought my 600 from them. I do have a 450 HK that I bought fom tony. Has of yet I haven't flown it. Lol. Oh well that's what happens when you have too many hobbies! I haven't been feeling well for the last couple of mts so I haven't done a thing on my birds. Last Sunday was our RC winterfest. I did not go cause of my back. Can't stand up for more than a couple of minutes before I start dying! Lol.

Lee

I did both my HK450GT's for about $155 inc 3 batts All up with charger and other spares i spent $222

gravybird

Ok guys. I was offered this from the lhs. It's an align pro 450 with a scale body. Comes fully assembled with spectrum receiver, and a battery. He's asking 500. I know one main drawback is the torque tube tail for a beginner. He says it flies perfect, and claims its not a bad one to start out on. Idk. What do you all think?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330552728.616345.jpg

Tony

Staff member
One thing about that is it's going to be heavy, and heavy can bring stability. I can't see the tail that well, but if it's the tail I think it is, it's pretty protected. If you hit the blades on the ground with what I'm thinking about, your going to be replacing more than just those gears lmao.

As for the price, check out some of the super combos that are out there, and add the price of a battery and the specific Rx he has in it. If it's close to the price (just under) then jump on it. I think the fuse alone goes for about a bill. And the good Spektrum Rx's are $80

gravybird

Ok ya the sport super combo is 399 for the cheapest one. So ya the Rx and battery put it over 500. Plus it's assembled. But I think putting it together would be helpful to me since I don't quite understand how all the mechanics work yet. Idk. 500 is a ton of cash.

Tony

Staff member
It is a lot of cash, but sounds like it's a pretty decent deal. And trust me, you will learn how to work on them lol. Just comes with flying.

gravybird

Is it possible/plausible to build some extra protection for the tail rotor with some cf rod? To keep it from bumping into the ground. I'm sure in the 3D world it's a no go. Bit just for learning with hovering along with the training gear. Like a extra kickstand under the boom.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
You can make like a halo of aluminum wire around the tail going deeper than the tail fin itself.. I have seen it here on the forum I think. Someone did it. It helps a bit..

Or getting a belt conversion for the time being... From HK. Not that expensive . Just my $.02 :)

Top Bottom