450 450 HK vs TREX?

gravybird

So I am getting ready to start a 450 (my first). I am just wondering about the differences between hong kong stuff vs the TREX. It looks like there is plenty fans of both on here. The hobby shop I was in the other day said to steer away from the hong kong stuff because of some jargan I didn't quite understand, but he also had about 5 different trex models on his shelves. Anyway, I appreciate any feedback:)

Tony

Staff member
ANY local hobby shop will try to sell you what THEY stock, it's just business. But, I'm sure of what they said, and they are correct. There is a reason why the HK450GT Pro is $60 and the Align 450 Pro is $200. HK will have very cheap parts, and you will have to tinker with it, and replace parts. I had to replace the whole tail section on my Pro because my EXI was jacked up. That was an extra $20+. the HK gears are junk, and don't even think about getting a torque tube.

There is an "in between" though. Check out the Tarot helicopters. You can get one with everything but the Tx/Rx for less than $300, and from what I hear, they are great. Still a product of China, but supposed to be better than hobbykings. Like I said though, I don't know this to be fact. if you want a 100% sure fire way to not get a bad one, get the Align and call it done. The Super combo will run you about $450 and comes with all electronics less Tx/Rx. So, it's about $150 more than the Tarot, but you are getting genuine Align. It's your call on just how deep your pockets are.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Have become a fan of tarot. I use their gears, their metal is good! And machining is amazing!

Like tony said. You want be away from HK shafts, bearings and gears. The frame.. It'll hold perfectly fine!

The heads, are good, but sometimes the metal is softer aluminum, which won't make that big of a difference, I mean, in a crash metal will give, and you'll need to replace it.

But, sometimes the metal parts are over machined, making the bearings not a perfect fit, and slop in different parts. Hobby shops hate them, cause its obvious , they sell trex stuff and it's their bread and butter.

Thing I was frustrated with was the screw quality of HK kits, but that was because I believed I needed to TIGHTEN them , and didn't have a good solid screwdriver set, so screws would strip, I would curse things and 10minute 5 dollar repair would become a 30 dollar 3hr repair. I realized, you just need to snug the screws and let loctite do it's job, and give loctite couple of hours to set before maidening it.

Since that realization, honestly in my align 450 bird, my tail bearings assembly is HK, frame is HK, motor mount and main shaft beating holder is HK. Sometimes I throw a tail boom that's HK or exi. But I now get tarot or align stuff so HK and exi doesn't happen that often. My head is tarot, FBL os tarot... Canopy os tarot.. Lol

It's trex by name.. But my bearings are all align or boca or this amazingly cheap and awesome bearings shop (us based) rc-bearings.com. Man that guy saves me the bucks. (os engine bearings 30 dollar a peice.. I got from him for 6bucks, and they are all made in us. )

So substitutions and mixing and matching is what I am a fan of. :) until and unless they are perfectly similar. :)

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I have tried rc 711 ... Ummm I donno ... As a supplier and website you wanna reconsider and find some place else.. I donno. See of ac-rc or hobby-wing have these..

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Oh and alzrc are very similar to tarot. Their FBL system is again cheap and good just like tarot's. Came out the same time almost. Have read about them. I believ both would be a good kit go beat align.

Tony

Staff member
That is the hardest part lol. The one constant in here is Tarot if you want to go cheap, and Align super combo if you have the money. With the align, you will have everything out of the box and ready to go. Let us know what you decide.

j1273

+1 to all of the above.
Im building my first 450 a Tarot 450 pro.All I can tell you is that all the parts look and feel top notch. I have however replaced the Torque tube because the Tarot one was slightly bent. Also replaced the tail pitch slider was binding. A few of the builds Ive followed have had this problem.
I think your best bet is a mid range one like the Tarot. Ive been told some of the parts are better quality than align although I cant confirm this yet mate.
Start a build thread and keep us posted pal
Jay

Tony

Staff member
Jay, most of the rods in the TT tails will have a slight bend in them. The center carrier bearing will take that bend out and keep it from wobbling.

j1273

I did wonder but also didnt want my first build to go badly because of the torque tube whipping!!
Oh well now i have 2 spares then!!

Lee

My 500 TT was really bent. Just rolled it down my leg a couple of times and it was fine.

gravybird

Have become a fan of tarot. I use their gears, their metal is good! And machining is amazing!

Like tony said. You want be away from HK shafts, bearings and gears. The frame.. It'll hold perfectly fine!

The heads, are good, but sometimes the metal is softer aluminum, which won't make that big of a difference, I mean, in a crash metal will give, and you'll need to replace it.

But, sometimes the metal parts are over machined, making the bearings not a perfect fit, and slop in different parts. Hobby shops hate them, cause its obvious , they sell trex stuff and it's their bread and butter.

Thing I was frustrated with was the screw quality of HK kits, but that was because I believed I needed to TIGHTEN them , and didn't have a good solid screwdriver set, so screws would strip, I would curse things and 10minute 5 dollar repair would become a 30 dollar 3hr repair. I realized, you just need to snug the screws and let loctite do it's job, and give loctite couple of hours to set before maidening it.

Since that realization, honestly in my align 450 bird, my tail bearings assembly is HK, frame is HK, motor mount and main shaft beating holder is HK. Sometimes I throw a tail boom that's HK or exi. But I now get tarot or align stuff so HK and exi doesn't happen that often. My head is tarot, FBL os tarot... Canopy os tarot.. Lol

It's trex by name.. But my bearings are all align or boca or this amazingly cheap and awesome bearings shop (us based) rc-bearings.com. Man that guy saves me the bucks. (os engine bearings 30 dollar a peice.. I got from him for 6bucks, and they are all made in us. )

So substitutions and mixing and matching is what I am a fan of. :) until and unless they are perfectly similar. :)

is there a certain one of those screwdriver sets you would recommend? one of the cell phone screwdriver kits?

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Maverickk is what I use coupled with align.. You can get spare bits for both for under 4 bucks each..

Always have two.. Cell phone ones will strip and then strip your screws. They are mainly for delicate work. Until you are using carbide tip ones for cell phones, get those..

Tony has some high dollar ones.. I couldnt afford those when I was buying but I am very happy euth align and mavrikk..and mavrikk bits fit align as spares...

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
That's exactly what I have. Get two sets... You will need them. Like for blade grips of different sizes and all.

Now remember of these strip a bit after a while or break, get maverikk replacement bits ; which are a perfect fit... And available is local hobby shops usually... Or the Internet...

Top Bottom