450 450 down and maybe out

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Now once you get to the 450 size helicopter I'd say the benefit of plastic parts starts to go out the window. I don't think I would choose a 450x over a trex 450 pro dfc. The minor price savings your gonna gain is out weighed by the performance you are going to give up. I think blade does well in the sub 450 size helicopters. At 450 and above I think they have some work to do to compete. Both in performance and price. And I agree the 3GX isn't THAT bad. I have it in my 450 and it works great but I wouldn't use it on anything smaller

Again just try to google logo and protos.. And you'll see how plastic done right is better than metal in many ways. :)

But I still think blade is overpriced for their quality. My opinion.. :)

Tim jones videos I posted on his 700 at the fun fly were still many plastic parts . Notice the tail blade holders in that picture I posted. :)

Thunder tiger is plastic mostly.. Atleast has been and they were the bird of choice for years.. :)

So no I disagree plastic has its awesome pros.. Blade makes cheap molded plastic that breaks and develops slop and that has made the impression that plastic is bad..

Hirobo (company that's a legend in heli building) still flies plastic :)
Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Last edited:

pvolcko

Another thing on the micro size helis (ncpx up through 120SR and probably 130x), certain plastic pieces are intended to be sacrificial. Swashes are a good example. On the ncpx there are thin detents near the lower swash hub on the control arms. These are intended to break in a crash, if it is severe enough, in order to save the anti-rotation guide (often molded into the frames on these helis), main shaft, servos and even blades and head assemblies. Replacing this part with metal will impact mass (weight affecting flight times and agility, and inertia carried into a crash), but it also can lead to much more expensive and troublesome repairs since the impact forces will be sent to other parts. If you're advanced enough and don't crash much and want the extra rigidity provided by the metal part, fine, but for beginners and those using them for testing out new maneuvers I'd highly recommend sticking to the plastic parts.

Slobberdog

I have been looking around a fair bit between the two heli's and tbh when you look at the Align its all there, metal from the start and yes I can get the 450 pro v2 3gx, which is not dfc I hasten to add, for £310 or $470 in the UK thats the cheapest.

the Blade 450x I can get for £275 or $418 not a huge difference,

the parts spend for the plastic is about 33% to 50% cheaper compared to the metal ones.

I am learning to hover and move around, no real forward flight not on the 450 anyway, will try that on my small birds first,

so here's where I get the nagging feeling, what will be better and easier to set up 3GX or Beast (AR7200) and which will give me the most stability, I am far from dissing the 3GX as i have never owned one, again the internet and people reporting trouble (but like Tony said in another thread "you don't hear the good reports"), so what do I do,

Go for the bling or plain Jane with the gyro everyone likes.

Not so simple choice for me!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

pvolcko

7200bx is reportedly easier to setup. It's all I've ever flown, so far, and I find it quite stable in the air and on the ground in a Blade 300X and 550X.

3GX is a bit cheaper, but once setup (and flashed to the latest 3.1 firmware) is a solid contender too. 3.0 firmware had issues on takeoff and landing that was causing all kinds of grief for people and certainly hurt the 3GX reputation. It also appears to be more sensitive to vibration so mechanical setup is very important with it.

xokia

I've had both the 3GX and AR7200BX. I don't know what people mean when they say the beastx is easier to set up. Maybe the instructions are easier to understand? But there are plenty of tutorials on the web for the 3GX. There is nothing particular tricky about setting up a 3GX. Once you step through all the steps that's it you're done.

I would not turn down getting a trex over blade just because of the FBL controller.

Slobberdog

I think I have made my mind up, due to the fact the pro v2 has next to no complaints online I think it's gotta be the Rex,

They have both at my LHS so won't have to wait when I want to go and get it, paired with the fact it has better servos all around and it is full metal, longevity will be so much better.

But know this now, I will probably be bending all your ears when it comes to setting up the 3gx unit,

danhampson

you wont regret it i would recommend getting some 500 skids and tail fin to protect the tt gears, i stripped a front umbrella gear when i first got mine, then put 500 skids and fin (had some pretty hard landings) and never stripped another TT gear since, for £20 it saves alot of messing about.

xokia

Yup 500 landing gear works great on the 450 it gets the tail up off the ground. I haven't broke a TT gear since switching.

Top Bottom