450 450 down and maybe out

Graham Lawrie

What 450 is it Slobberdog? I had problems with my Trex 450, but Lee managed to resolve all of them for me:) At one point as i am fairly new to this i thought i had fried the bec but it was just me it was fine, but i bought a spare. I know its easy to give up and i have just read this thread tonight, but you look as if you are not far away from completing this?

Slobberdog

Oh I have had this hovering well, but I think I just want to get a new fbl set up.

The base heli was a century GL 450 SE, full alloy heli kit, but there is alot of Align bits on it now, prob only thing I would still want to do is put the new Align tail grip assy on it,

xokia

I feel you, you get to a point where you start looking at how much time and money you have into something and then you realize if you put that instead into a new bird you would have a brand new one instead of a used one.

When I reach that point I cut my losses and just get the new one. The only one I have stuck it through on is the 130x and that's just because I really like that helicopter. It's really hard to do because you just think if I spend just $10 more dollars it will work perfect. That $10 never ends. I have other projects like this to. I have an 87 blazer that I have $10k into that I could probably sell for $2k lol at least its got 450 hp and I can shred the rubber off the 35" tires :D

Don't fight it just let it go....stress levels will go down and you will be much happier.

Last edited:

Slobberdog

Yeah that's not far off where I am xokia, and when the bank manager aka the WIFE says you would be better off getting a new one and get rid of this one, I think it's time to listen.

Tony

Staff member
Sounds like it's Align time! Or Warp, or any of the other good helis lol. The wife said you could hehe.

Slobberdog

Tony I would love the warp, but alas its 6s all my kit is geared to 3s, that is batteries and charger, so Align pro 3gx could be on the cards, but tbh at the moment leaning to the blade 450x with the ar7200bx in it, love my little 130x its brill so might go for the blade, I think I would get a bit better value for money from it.

Although I did fly a 450 sport last night and that was really stable, due to the fact it had alot of expo and d/r dialed in and was running weighted paddles and flybar weights, I think that might have been mines nail in the coffin so to speak.

have e-mailed company I got tail servo from, told them it gave up on me mid flight, tbh was lucky it went solid so it held the tail reasonably, just waiting for a response now, if that comes back fixed or replaced I will put it back on the heli to sell it, so someone would only have to put rx in it,

lol, me and my ocd all the wires are even marked as to what they are so it would be easy to connect them and fly.

danhampson

The t-rex 450 pro v2 3gx super combo is only £315 from fastlad and midland helis. All you would need to do is add your RX and charge your batterys. I would update the 3gx to v3.1 out of the box, ive got one and have put in 20+ flights, some on v3.0 but most on v3.1 its very stable if you use gabas tips for the gain settings

Slobberdog

Yeah I have been looking at that, and at the moment its a toss up between that and the Blade 450x and that is only £275 from Sessex model centre, and that has the Ar7200bx on it, and maybe thats what is drawing me to that, although the Align is full metal. Dont suppose it matters to much though at my level, that is.

My only reservation is that the Align is that price cos they want to only do the DFC models now, although there is going to be years of spares left out there for this version.

danhampson

i dont know mine came with the 121 slant maingear, the feathering shaft is the same on the DFC and the mainshaft is the same as the sport and se v2, i dont think there will be a shortage of spares for a while.
But the blade is a good price with the ar7200bx on it

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Blade is A good heli. But, when the plastic parts start to go you'll be replacing them with metal anyways! Then where is the savings going? Right back to where you started! Upgrading the bird! That's where. HA HA HE HE!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Blade is A good heli. But, when the plastic parts start to go you'll be replacing them with metal anyways! Then where is the savings going? Right back to where you started! Upgrading the bird! That's where. HA HA HE HE!

Blade makes good birds but the parts are wayy overpriced

For the cost of what you fix a 130x ... I used to be able to put my 450 in the air

And like Sam said. You upgrade the blade stock plastic to metal.. And then metal parts bend in crash.. And that's even more expensive lol
Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Slobberdog

Blade makes good birds but the parts are wayy overpriced

For the cost of what you fix a 130x ... I used to be able to put my 450 in the air

And like Sam said. You upgrade the blade stock plastic to metal.. And then metal parts bend in crash.. And that's even more expensive lol

Yes guys that's one thing I was looking at, but think if I did upgrade things it would only be blade grips and tail grips and possibly the follower arms and tail pitch slider, and yes that would put the heli at the same price, but the thing that grabs me is how much better is the beast unit over the 3gx unit.

Is it worth it, I don't know, Align or Blade mmmmmmhhhhhhhhh its still a tough one,

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
You can buy the Align without the 3GX unit like I did and take the savings and put them into a ar7200BX just the same! I opted for the Ikon myself!

Slobberdog

Yeah wish it was that easy over here, the shops like the combo deals and super combo deals, and even new 3gx units are selling at a low price out of the boxes as to much bad publicity with the bad updates.

stokke

Enough with the 3GX backstabbing already! If you can get a hold of a 450 3GX, just go for it! I've flown hundreds of flights with my 3GX and it's performing very well. I would also choose the BeastX over the 3GX, but if the 3GX price can't be beat I wouldn't think twice.

The 3GX is a bit more troublesome to set up, but once you get it done it's good as gold.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Enough with the 3GX backstabbing already! If you can get a hold of a 450 3GX, just go for it! I've flown hundreds of flights with my 3GX and it's performing very well. I would also choose the BeastX over the 3GX, but if the 3GX price can't be beat I wouldn't think twice.

The 3GX is a bit more troublesome to set up, but once you get it done it's good as gold.

Lol

I wouldn't call it gold..

Silver ... May be... Lmao

I would get it . Sell it out the box and update the gyro to Beast or ikon and forget there is a gyro there

I've flown tarot zyx, 3gx, beastx, ikon, even a 3G on a guy who I help a lot locally ..

For the price you'll get out if selling it .. Add 40 you'll be set for amazing gyros.

xokia

JMO but if you're putting metal parts on a helicopter that came with plastic parts then your missing the entire reason for the plastic parts to begin with.

A stock 130x is pretty dang cheap to keep in the air, part of that reason is everything is plastic which keeps the mass low which results in less damage in a crash. Once you go to metal you start throwing that advantage out the window. The other reason is plastic parts are generally cheaper then their metal counter parts. So crash repairs when you do have to replace something is generally always cheaper. Plus since the helicopter wieghs less there is generally less collateral damage.

Metal helicopters have their place and your gaining performance for the additional wieght. But you are also giving something up which is cheaper repairs. It's why I usually try not to tinker with the design and fly the helicopter for what it is. If I dont like the performance I am getting then I buy a different helicopter. Its always cheaper to buy the performance you want built in then it is to upgrade to the performance you want.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
JMO but if you're putting metal parts on a helicopter that came with plastic parts then your missing the entire reason for the plastic parts to begin with.

A stock 130x is pretty dang cheap to keep in the air, part of that reason is everything is plastic which keeps the mass low which results in less damage in a crash. Once you go to metal you start throwing that advantage out the window. The other reason is plastic parts are generally cheaper then their metal counter parts. So crash repairs when you do have to replace something is generally always cheaper. Plus since the helicopter wieghs less there is generally less collateral damage.

Metal helicopters have their place and your gaining performance for the additional wieght. But you are also giving something up which is cheaper repairs. It's why I usually try not to tinker with the design and fly the helicopter for what it is. If I dont like the performance I am getting then I buy a different helicopter. Its always cheaper to buy the performance you want built in then it is to upgrade to the performance you want.

I agrees plastic parts should be cheaper but with blade stamp on them, they really aren't.

Yes and what you say is right... Plastic has its place

And I hate to see people banging on plastic helis thinking its low quality it bad or something

Check out the logo series.... They are competition helicopters. All plastic bodies. Makes then light and extremely acrobatic... Lol

So changing out plastic parts that don't have a slop to metal is just plain bling

I have done it too. I am guilty of it too lol .. Everyone is time to time .. But plastic isn't always cheap or bad :)

xokia

I agrees plastic parts should be cheaper but with blade stamp on them, they really aren't.
I don't know if I entirely agree with that. The stock parts are pretty cheap. Yea I wish some were cheaper and yea some are similar to trex 450 parts such as the landing gear. But other then that I think the blade stuff is cheaper than the trex. If blade parts were that expensive the aftermarket would come in and take that market away from blade. Such as the blades for the 130x can be found by other manufacturers for cheaper. I stopped buying blades from blade a long time ago.

I have the 300x and parts for it are pretty damn cheap also. Similar prices to the 130x in fact the Mcpx,130x,300x all have very similar repair costs. I don't know about the other models since I haven't owned them but I suspect a similar thing.

Now once you get to the 450 size helicopter I'd say the benefit of plastic parts starts to go out the window. I don't think I would choose a 450x over a trex 450 pro dfc. The minor price savings your gonna gain is out weighed by the performance you are going to give up. I think blade does well in the sub 450 size helicopters. At 450 and above I think they have some work to do to compete. Both in performance and price. And I agree the 3GX isn't THAT bad. I have it in my 450 and it works great but I wouldn't use it on anything smaller

Last edited:
Top Bottom