450 450 down and maybe out

Slobberdog

Guys have a look at the movement I have in the cyclic servos when running, have not changed anything with this heli lately been running good, and this started happening on Wednesday night while hovering my second battery, first battery was great no problem at all,

[video=youtube_share;2AlyZ16r5iI]http://youtu.be/2AlyZ16r5iI[/video]

Slobberdog

Cheers Gaba I was thinking I had a problem with them, but it was fine one minute not the next. Oh well maybe leave this one and put the money into a new one

Lee

Try spraying the belt with some silicon spray. And moving the RX somewhere further away from the tail may help. See if that helps. Just thinking it may be some static. Its a long shot but worth a try.

Last edited:

xokia

Had a similiar issue on my trex 250 after stuffing it into the ground. A gear on one of the servos broke a couple teeth off. Just enough so under certain conditions and enough load it would miss. I'd take the cyclic servo cases apart and look for 1-2 missing teeth on one of the servo gears.

Slobberdog

Try spraying the belt with some silicon spray. And moving the RX somewhere further away from the tail may help. See if that helps. Just thinking it may be some static. Its a long shot but worth a try.

Lee that video was shot with about 10 seconds of running before taking the video, so can't see a build up of static as it started straight away on the first run,

Have the old bird stripped out ready for three new servo's in the morning, oh and a full re wire to boot.

Again cheap tower pro plastic servo's so they were only gonna last so long, metal gears servo's going back in anyway.

Well new dampers in the head with a new feathering shaft as well, so that's better than it was.

Westy

LEGEND
change out your servos ... or at least strip them all down and see if there is a mechanical failure! I am sure there will be.

Slobberdog

They were all moving ok with cyclic input and not twitching when no motor running but when motor running had the twitching in the servo's,

Westy

LEGEND
I had a servo board fail ... and it caused similar inconsistant head movement .... they all tested the same on the servo tester and I had to change each servo until I could the faulty one (as soon as I changed it .... the heli was back to its normal self).

here is my You Tube PLay list of how I diagnosed and fixed it!

Hope you like it .... they are old vids .... but you will get the picture :)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqagIrU4ukVDhqqiVTWAEkVnQeDQB2s0Z&feature=view_all

Last edited:

Slobberdog

Yeah pretty much the problem I was having, so 3 new servos going in tomorrow, well will buy them in the morning at least,

Thanks Westy

xokia

They were all moving ok with cyclic input and not twitching when no motor running but when motor running had the twitching in the servo's,

I'm telling you stripped gears will do this also. If the servo happens to land in the spot where its got a missing tooth then when you go to start it again it wont go. Once it gets past that point it operates fine. I'm with westy its probably a mechnical issue. Could be an electrical issue also. I'd pop the case and take a quick look just out of curiousity.

Slobberdog

I'm telling you stripped gears will do this also. If the servo happens to land in the spot where its got a missing tooth then when you go to start it again it wont go. Once it gets past that point it operates fine. I'm with westy its probably a mechnical issue. Could be an electrical issue also. I'd pop the case and take a quick look just out of curiousity.

They are just so cheap servo's I would rather have the piece of mind of changing them out for metal gear ones, I have found my LHS has some

New Power XL-9HM 9g Metal Geared Servo [P-NEWXL09HM] £6.99

Similar to the standard 9g servo but with the added advantage of more torque and tough metal gears to absorb any shocks put back into the servo from the control surfaces.

Specification
Weight: 10g
Torque (6.0v): 2.5Kg
Torque (4.8v): 2.2Kg
Speed (6.0v): 0.10 sec/60D
Speed (4.8v): 0.120 sec/60D
Dimensions: 23.2 x 12.0 x 24.8mm
Bearings: Plastic Bushes
Gear Type: Metal
Voltage Range: 4.8 - 6.0V

So gonna give these a try till I can get a new bird, think it might end up being trex 450 pro fbl super combo, if this fix of the servos work, won't be in so much of a rush to get it and might just save the extra then and go dfc

Slobberdog

Well just been looking and these servos are made by ripmax and are supposed to be as good as the hitec hs65mg, we will see

Slobberdog

Well put it all back together and burned my tail servo put while seting up the others, bummer I think went through my head, oh well should get it Tuesday and the bird be good, no more glitches on the cyclic anyway, and found a few screws with no thread lock so not a bad day.

Slobberdog

Here's a few pics of it going back together

Before
image.jpg

New servos in place
image.jpg

And put back together, all be it less a tail servo, sob sob.
image.jpg

Should get tail servo in time to fly on Wednesday in the hall, :witless:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Slobberdog

Well have my new ds425m for the tail, so will fit this later tonight, so 4 brand new servos in place, hopefully this bird will live again.

and be as good as before,

lol if it is then i will have the new member to the hanger at the end of the month, that is the Blade 130x

Tony

Staff member
Make sure to go through the gyro and set your servo up in there BEFORE plugging it in. Don't want to see another servo burn up on here.

Slobberdog

yeah thanks Tony, it was set up in there got to rev and change gyro direction but servo type is correct,

trouble i had was left the servo connected and the movement of the tail when i was doing stuff the gyro put input to the servo and it ws on full travel, was doing the repairs in the living room on the table and my daughter had a film on and i did not hear it buzzing, lol so basically it was my fault, will remember to disconnect it next time, lol.

i remember someone else doing the same thing on here a few weeks ago, so should have remembered to disconnect it.

Slobberdog

Well the old girl lives, yeah...........

After a long day of waiting, and parents evening at my girls school finally got to fit the servo, 30 seconds later, sorted.

Quick test in the garder, and its all good = happy chappy.

Top Bottom