FBL Gyro 3GX Video Settings

USAF_Ret

So i have finally had the time to tinker with the Trex 250 and the 3gx. I think i have made some progress but am still having some challenges...

I appeared to have found a slight mechanical problem in that the tail grip holder was slightly loose and had some minor slop. Once i tightened that up and adjusted the gain the tail wag seems to have been minimized.

However, I now have a new issue...

First in Normal mode (none Stunt mode) the bird flies great. No tail wag, very stable. In fact will hover in place with no, to little input. (that's the good news).

But, when I go into stunt mode, the heli is pretty unstable, and jumps up and down, side to side with no input. It is almost on the 'uncontrollable' side and have nearly dumped in a couple of times.

Given that the heli flies great in Normal mode, I am making an assumption that it is not likely a mechanical or DIR setup issue. (Welcome to be wrong here :) and that is something more related the Flight Parameter Modes settings???

Trex250 Flight Mode Parameter 1.jpgTrex250 Flight Mode Parameter 2.PNGTrex250 Flight Rudder Parameters.jpg

Trex250 Flight Mode Parameter 1.jpg

Trex250 Flight Mode Parameter 2.PNG

Trex250 Flight Rudder Parameters.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Turn your collective and cyclic dampening up to about half way and see if that fixes it.

leedude1

3gx version 3.1 or new V5.0 Is there an opinion on which is a better option for the 450l run on a dx6? No hard 3D for me. Ive read 4 has been problematic but 3.1 overall stable.
Thanks

Tony

Staff member
I would trust 4 more than 3, and I would trust 5 more than 4. But I trust 2.1 more than any of them. 3.1 has horrible ground issues. If you can pop the helicopter up off the ground before it spools all the way up, then you are golden. But if you are new to flying, you will want 2, 4 or 5. 4 and 5 have tail issues, 4 more than 5. But not everyone has these issues. You will just have to try them out and see what you think. Just remember, each time you decide to change the firmware, uninstall the software from your computer, then go into your computers C: drive and go into Programs x86 folder and delete the 3GX folder. Then install the new software that matches what you want to install on the 3GX.

leedude1

So , not new to fly CP<s but my first in this size and as I mentioned not really looking towards 3d as such. I have not uploaded any yet to the unit but downloaded up to 3.1. If you had only 1 to use Im hearing 2.1 for solid stability and overall sport type performance, correct?
P.S I will be running through your vids to set this thing up... my first go round with this type of system so i really want to take my time and make solid choices up front if possible.

Tony

Staff member
the tail issues happen in more of a hover rather than 3D although on 3D it will have a horrible bounceback on the tail. But, not everyone has these issues. Here is what I would do. Set up 5 and see how it is in the air. It's great on the ground, but it's a crap shoot on the tail in the air. But you will be able to land it if there is a problem. If that doesn't work, try 4. If that doesn't work, then go to 2.1.

And if you have questions, post them up. I will help as much as I can, but have to head to bed since I have to get up at 0430 in the morning for work. But I will reply when I can. And post a video when you get it in the air.

leedude1

Several quick questions here..

I had mounted my 3gx just above the skids "a la Jeff Fassbinder"... curious as whether you suggest behind swash instead and the Rx below on the other tray or is this just whatever tickles your fancy type thing. as both are listed as acceptable in the manual.

Im still working on the build and far from completion but was wondering if i can/should plug in and and bind the components now just to at least perhaps familiarize myself with it or no real benefit.

As suggested in the ALIGN FAQ site I downloaded in sequential order order 3...3.1, 4 then 5 and now have V5 on the lap top as you suggested... if this is my intial "upload" from pc to 3gx should I delete it all and use your site version as a "tested and proven" or do you feel it shloud be ok.

Tony

Staff member
Right on. if you have any more questions, post them up. sorry for the wicked late reply. Been a little busy here lately.

USAF_Ret

I would trust 4 more than 3, and I would trust 5 more than 4. But I trust 2.1 more than any of them. 3.1 has horrible ground issues. If you can pop the helicopter up off the ground before it spools all the way up, then you are golden. But if you are new to flying, you will want 2, 4 or 5. 4 and 5 have tail issues, 4 more than 5. But not everyone has these issues. You will just have to try them out and see what you think. Just remember, each time you decide to change the firmware, uninstall the software from your computer, then go into your computers C: drive and go into Programs x86 folder and delete the 3GX folder. Then install the new software that matches what you want to install on the 3GX.

Tony,

I am a bit confused by this post.

In post #14 to my issue, you stated that 3gx 4.0 had a horrible tail and 3.1 would be way better. Now in this thread you are saying 4.0 is good. Did I miss something in the translation somewhere?

Paul

MacJ

I am starting to pull my hair out now.... I have everything moving in the right direction but am having trouble getting my radio gain settings for the gyro to talk to the 3GX and APS unit. I have the spectrum DX7s and have the gyro 3 position switch set up for the gains. Whatever setting I put the radio on the switch for F mode is trying to control the gain. I have tried to inhibit this setting but the gear switch is doing nothing.

USAF_Ret

MacJ, can you include your spm file. I have both the DX18 and DX7s and might be able to help. It is far easier to look at the spm file than go back and forth with lots of questions.

USAF_Ret

heres my first try

MacJ,

The attachment did not come through....

Did you save and get the SPM file off of the SD card? I have attached pictures but not a file, but essentially should be the same.

Regarding your GEAR / Gyro setup question. The GEAR channel is only to send and receive the Gyro gain signal. You cannot disable it via the GEAR switch. In most (all that I am aware of) the Gyro gains for the specific flight modes are all controlled through your Flight Mode switch. You don't mention whether you are using a Mode 1 or Mode 2 Tx, so I am assuming you are using Mode 1 as your location is indicated as UK. To change / alter the specific gain values you must use the Gyro menu from the receiver. Since the DX7s only has two Flight Modes you will need to adjust those from there. (The DX18 has a nice feature where I have set one of the extra trim buttons to adjust the gain from there).

You also don't mention what heli you are setting up or what version of the 3GX software you are using.

MacJ

Sorry, I am on mode 2
I am setting up a trex 600 ESP with flybarless conversion. The 3GX is running V5 and I have APS attached with version 1.3.

My flap/giro switch is the only 3 position switch and I cant get that to work with the 3GX and twin satellites. Would using the AR7000 RX and single satellite be easier as I can use AUX2 with the gyro switch or am I missing the point here

Tony

Staff member
Tony,

I am a bit confused by this post.

In post #14 to my issue, you stated that 3gx 4.0 had a horrible tail and 3.1 would be way better. Now in this thread you are saying 4.0 is good. Did I miss something in the translation somewhere?

Paul

This can get quite confusing and I do apologize. and this is the reason I have kinda stepped away from the 3GX personally. But it's still a great gyro if you want to put some work into it.

Some people have horrible experience with 3.1, 4.0 and 5.0 with the ground stability, tail and tail respectively. But others have great success with them on each of the firmwares. It just depends on the gyro it's self.

If you have a gyro that likes one of the newer firmwares, then by all means, keep using it. However, I feel I need to point out that each "can" have some issues. So if one is working, then by all means, stick with it.

I am starting to pull my hair out now.... I have everything moving in the right direction but am having trouble getting my radio gain settings for the gyro to talk to the 3GX and APS unit. I have the spectrum DX7s and have the gyro 3 position switch set up for the gains. Whatever setting I put the radio on the switch for F mode is trying to control the gain. I have tried to inhibit this setting but the gear switch is doing nothing.

It sounds like a mapping issue to me. I don't have the 7s so can't look at the .spm file, but USAF can.

What you need to do is stick your card into your Tx (SD card). If there is anything on it, you may have to copy those files to a folder on your computer just to save them, then format the card.

From here, you will, I believe, go into the system setup menu and scroll down and choose "copy model" or something along those lines. I think you can choose a specific model, but not 100% on that. If you can, great. If not, just let USAF know what model number it is. Once you download the model(s) onto the card, save that file to your computer and remember where it is. It will be a .spm file.

Then, come here and go into the advanced editor by clicking on Go Advanced below the quick reply box. In there at the top of the editor, there will be a paperclip icon. Click on that and select the .spm file from your computer, then click upload. It should upload the file. Don't worry that the image shows a DX8, I have no way of making it select a DX7s or DX8 file picture.

Let me know if you need anymore help uploading that file. If you have to, follow the above steps and just email it to me at admin@rc-help.com and I will post it in this thread. I'm using a cloud proxy and it's messing with some uploads for members. I'm working on the issue though. And if I dont' reply immediately or within a couple hours, then I'm sleeping or busy at work or home, but I will reply. Things are getting a little crazy around here lol. Again... hahahaha

Tony

Staff member
Okay, here is the .spm file so that you can look at it on your Tx. Do this at your own risk, I don't know of any virus' in there, but you never know these days. And I'm not saying there is, just have to put it out there.

View attachment 01HELITR.SPM

USAF_Ret

MacJ,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this...

So I got the SPM file downloaded and took a look at it on my DX7s.

A couple of observations:

1. You mentioned in an earlier thread (post #37) that you are working on this in a Trex 600 with a 3GX. I noticed that you have the Swash setting on the SPM file set to 3 Servos, 120 degress. I believe that with the 3GX you have to have the radio set to 1 Servo, Normal. This essentially takes the mixing from the radio out of the the process and allows the 3GX to mix based on your stick inputs.

2. I confirmed that you have the Gyro set to Gear / Flap or Gyro Switch. You mentioned that you didn't seem like you were getting any difference in the 3 switch positions. Pos 0 is set at 75%, Pos 1 is set at 50%, Pos 2 is set at 35%. Both Position 1 & 2 are pretty low considering what you have set for Pos 0. ( I am assuming you have proper tail authority in Pos 0). For my Blade 450 3D (non-Flybarless), I have the settings set a 55%, 53.5%, 55% respectively as a comparison.

I would suggest you set your Pos 1 and 2 closer to your Pos 0 setting.

On another note, I am not sure why you have chosen to set up the Gyro gain with the Flap / Gyro switch and not link in to your Flight Mode (FM) setting. True, you only get two Flight Modes with this setup, but unless you actually need 3 Gyro Gain settings, I find this way easier as you can tie the Pitch Curve, Throttle Curve and Gyro Gain all together with the FM switch. My guess is that when you go from FM 0 to FM 1, you will have tail issues until you also move your Flap / Gyro switch to the respective settings.

Just some thoughts. Let me know if I provide any other help.

USAF

Top Bottom