FBL Gyro 3gx and flight mode settings

Slobberdog

Hi all do you use d/r and expo or do you use the flight modes aileron role rates etc, if you do use these flight mode settings what are people using,

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
NO D/R

expo:

3gx... Yes

Beastx --- if I am in transmitter mode on flight response in parameter menu B

Ikon -- yes

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Thanks Gaba, you say no d/r is that cos you don't use it or your not supposed to,

D/r does not work with many flybarless controllers

I have tried to explain this before but it's tricky.

I would keep flying at no (or 100 percent for some radios) d/r ... Why..?

--- you get to know the extent of your sticks and learn actually how much input is required for a manuever. If you don't, when you go up again, you'll feel like flying is hell :)

----- there is wind.... It's pushing you in a direction you don't wanna go and gyro is working hard... You won't have needed throw to overpower the wind affect

---- fbl doesn't understand d/r... So for it .. The throws aren't limited... So say if there is a string wind, the gyro will be pushing it against it and say your swash already past where you d/r restricts it.... What that means?? You don't have control on it anymore .. It won't move, the gyro is holding it, and wind is pushing it .... :)

Hope I make sense :)

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Slobberdog

Perfect sense Gaba, have backed that out of my tx,

Can you tell me the function of what your adjusting in flight mode settings, eg aileron and elevator role rate

Westy

LEGEND
Ok ..... if you are beginning, you can use the standard set up as it is pretty good.

If you are practising something like Piro Flips .... a good way to learn is to use DR on the tail to "Peg Back" the rudder a bit so you get the tail spinning speed you feel comfortable at full rudder input on hte TX. This allows you to concentrate on just Collective management and Cyclic corrections so you do not have to worry about speeding and slowing the tail rate down so you can stir the stick at the correct orientation... as you perfect it .... you can increase the DR until eventually you have 100% tail speed again and you will naturally alter your speed of the tail with your eye hand reflexes as you will be actually "Flying the Helicopter" not just randomly stirring the sticks and hoping for the best.

you can set the Flybar switch to on and try that too.... I have a vid on the flight mode settings and what they do if you wanted to know.

Slobberdog

Great video Westy that explained a great deal, think I am gonna get the software set up on the lappy, did you get it of the disc with the 3gx or downloaded,

Mine is at 2.1 at the moment but by all accounts 3.1 is supposed to be far more flight stable feel wise and a lot better for beginners, I reduced my aileron roll rate and elevator flip rate to 30 and have expo at 30% for the maiden, what do you think on those settings,

Was unaware that you should not use d/r on fbl and was running it on my 130x at 70% but took it back to 100% and flew it earlier and wow what a difference, much more control and feel.

Westy

LEGEND
Thought it might light a little candle of understanding for ya! - Glad you liked it.

UPDATE TO 3.1 ASAP ......

as long as you set your DIR up with Aileron and Elevator .... getting 7º at mid stick in ID1 liniear pitch curve ..... in flight mode you can increase it!

30% Expo may be a little doughy around hovering on the cyclic .... but if it is just try reducing (both together) 5% less at a time and refly ... you will find the happy balance for your skill in a couple of batteries ..... if you find it is to slow to react to your movement and you are chasing it around because of that ... then definitely reduce your expo as above.

download it from here: ==> ALIGN 3GX UPDATE MAIN PAGE

I am playing with the Flybar perametors in hte software now .... so I am keen to see how differently it flies. Bert Krammerer says the flybar mode (on all FBL gyros) increases the "Feel of the heli and makes it come alive again"

I like this new feature!!!!
3gx bluetooth.JPG

3GXv3.1_en(page).jpg

3gx bluetooth.JPG

Last edited:

Slobberdog

Thanks Westy is that for the pc software and gyro update or just the gyro update will have to have a look at that after work tomorrow, got to get some shut eye now, can't see to straight

Tony

Staff member
I have the software for download in the article section under Downloads as well. Same version as they have on Aligns site. But my server downloads faster than theirs lmao.

Slobberdog

Cheers Tony, gonna download it now in work then install later at home.

what set up do I have to go back over once I change the firmware.

Tony

Staff member
The complete DIR setup and Tail setup. Make sure to uninstall your current 3GX software, go into your program files and delete the 3GX file folder, and then install 3.1 on your computer. Once it's installed, plug your heli in and update the gyro.

Slobberdog

Not got any software on pc yet so not a problem.

In the dir set up do you have to start with zero subtrims and adjust while you are in there, this time I set up head with rx before the gyro was connected and it seemed to be ok.

and what do you need to do for gov set up as I am not using it, but the note on the website says you still have to do it.

sorry to be a pain, but this is very new to me, i liked my 130x out of the box and in the air, no set up it was easy, dont get me wrong I loved building this bird it was a pleasure but setting up this gyro is a little bit more complicated. lol

Tony

Staff member
Not a pain at all bro, this is what we are here for!

If you want to reset your subtrims, you can, but it's not required. You will do all of your servo setup in DIR mode though. 90 the servo arms, adjust cyclic and collective travel as well as set the gyro's directions.

If your like me, you get a better handle on how to work on something when you see it visually. Have a look at the video below and if there is something not clear, just let me know and I will help walk you through it.

3GX Setup Part 1 Complete Initial Gyro Setup - YouTube

Slobberdog

Yes used that to do the set up first time around, it was playing on the ipad next to the heli while I was doing the set up and made the task 100% easier, double checked all my set up last night with pitch guage and clino app on iphone and low and behold I got it spot on, dont know quite how that happened though more luck than judgement I think,

will just have to look at the gov set up bit though, cos I was not going to use that feature I skipped that part, but they say you have to do it in v3.1 if you use it or not,

Tony

Staff member
Ah, forgot to answer that. Yes, you have to do the setup, but it's easy as pie. In the gov setup menu, you just raise the throttle all the way up. I think the light will change, not sure. I think I covered it in the video though. If not, I will do a lot of reading and find out how its done lol. But, I do remember that it's super simple.

Westy

LEGEND
yep it does change..... you simply put the Tx into ID1 0-100 linear throttle curve in idle position... power up 3gx holding set button until all lights are lit.

put throttle to top. red light will flash and rx and it will auto reset and go into normal mode

Slobberdog

"yep it does change..... you simply put the Tx into ID1 0-100 linear throttle curve in idle position... power up 3gx holding set button until all lights are lit.

put throttle to top. red light will flash and rx and it will auto reset and go into normal mode"

Mmmmmhhh I did do that bit, thought that was throttle set up or summit

Thanks Tony, its little snippits of info like that I like to hear, when it comes to this simple is good. ROFL

althought this heli is incredably simple, love the dfc head cos theres nowt up there to complicate it, and like the new tail slider design feels silky smooth and really rigid, only dislike is the tail push rod feels very flimsy, may look into getting a carbon tail push rod upgrade if they are about.

Tony

Staff member
Yes, all the Gov setup does is tells the gyro where your endpoints are. Then, if you have 7+ channels, you can use the Gear channel to adjust the gov, and Aux2 to adjust the gyro. But, only if you are running satellite Rx's. If you are using a regular Rx, then you will use Gear as the gyro gain adjust, and the Gov will be done through Aux2. Confusing, but it is what it is lmao.

Top Bottom