FBL Gyro 3gx and flight mode settings

Tony

Staff member
You have to have a way to read the rpm. On the 600 nitro, there are two magnets in the fan and it's picked up by the sensor that came with teh kit. The sensor usually will come with all nitro kits, but check them before you purchase. If it doesn't, you can get one that will bolt to the back fo the engine and it will read the crank pin as it goes around.

I think the sensor is about $25. If it's on a nitro, there should be a mount somewhere on the frame, but if you are doing custom, then you mount them on the back of the engine. If you are putting this in something electric, you will need to find a way to read the rpm of the motor or the head by inserting a magnet somewhere in there. Well, two actually to keep things in balance. Exactly how though, I'm not sure. I know a lot of electrics that are bigger have the gov built into the ESC, but don't work that well from what I have read.

Slobberdog

Nah I dont have one, using a lowly DX6i so no spare channel :sorrow: not to worried though, no intentional 3d for me any time soon, lol, price though they are £6.37 or $11 ish part number HE50H22

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
It's all good, you don't need it on a 450 anyway. Just do the setup so it knows your endpoint and you will be good to go.

Tony

Staff member
When you get into the 8s+ setups, then you will want to run one to keep yoru head speed in check. But anything smaller, I wouldn't.

Slobberdog

Well guys I did the update, was not as fussy as I was expecting, was easy.

Used Westy's video and used some of his settings so just wait till tomorrow to see what it's gonna be like,

Westy

LEGEND
I just retested mine with Flybar enabled .... it is stable as anything .... set my pots to 100 and it flew and took off perfect every time!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Governor is Extremely important on big birds. No its not useless on electrics. The electrics you will see explode (motors burn and MORE ESC's burn) if there wasnt a governor. Anything 550 and over SHOULD be run with a governor depending on the cell setup. Like a 8s+ 600 like was mentioned above, and ANY 700 needs a governor.

No governor .. electric... big bird....--> will make the motor over speed under no load and make your system go POOF.. magic smoke everywhere lol :)

Yes I had issues with the governor, but that was my fault in setup. Now I know what I did wrong :D .. I am learning too :D everyday :)

Now even my warp (475 size lol) is governed head speed.. A FBL controller performs its best when it doesnt always have to be dealing with the ever chaning rotor RPM.. and when the FBL controller itself is the governor (predictive setup) then, its EVEN better :)

That said.. your align 450 with stock setup doesnt need a governor. :)

Ikon governor ROCKS. I was able to make the Castle governor bog on my Whiplash :) ..

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Gaba, I was referring to the 450 size helis, like Align 450 Pro's that don't work well with a Gov and don't really need it. I totally agree that anything 500 (maybe) and larger do need it. Those blades have so much inertia behind them, that they turn the motor into a generator and it will smoke your electronics.

Slobberdog

guys I have a lot of tail kick when I start up, gonna re do the settings on the esc later and see if that makes a difference.

Slobberdog

on spool up it kicks/moves tail right like the anti rotation compensation is not enough or backwards

- - - Updated - - -

feels like setting has changed on soft start

Tony

Staff member
If the head speed is not high enough to allow the tail to provide enough thrust, the tail will move to the right. Might have a look at the ESC settings and verify that you are on a very soft start.

Slobberdog

yeah that is what I had thought but wanted to varify, will run through the esc set up before putting the bird in the air later on tonight, first hover in the school hall,

"will have to get someone filming for me one thinks!"

ooooohhhhhhh can't wait, soooooooooo excited, feel like a little kid in a toy shop.

Tony

Staff member
Yes, definitely get some video. If there are any issues the video will help. Good luck.

Top Bottom