Kits 3D Hobby Shop Edge 540

RandyDSok

Most LHS's should have some trim sheets for around $3 give or take... They are about 5"x36"

Now there is another way to look at it if you are interested in doing more balsa planes at least... Black and Silver are pretty common colors... So you may need these colors later also... Personally for as little as you need now, I'd consider the trim sheets.

Now for another idea... Put several different colors on your Christmas list so your friends/family have some affordable gift ideas for you...

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
Thanks Randy, I guess you are right. I've already been looking at a couple of other planes from Raiden and Nitroplanes. It seems that everyone is having a hard time keeping stock. There must be a large number of RC'ers or Balsa trees are limited..

RandyDSok

I can only imagine how complex the logistics for a supply chain must be...

Balsa planes have become second to the cheaper foamies... so demand is down just from that alone. The misconception that building or repairing balsa is somehow hard or requires a lot of skill is probably a lot of the reason for that. Of course price is also a factor since a foamy arf can be molded instead of assembled which automates the contruction and lowers the costs.

Next to consider is the factory... They can only build so many before they need new facilities which are expensive to outfit with equipment. So the demand must be present before they can justify the setup costs.

Most factories are overseas which add's a big restriction to the number that can be shipped. To make shipping affordable, they must be able to completely fill a container, a container load of models is no small investment in itself.

Seasonal demand also plays a role... While Christmas does increase the demand, the rest of the winter season drops it down enough that it makes it even tougher to fill a shipment container.

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
Got my motor today, already put it on. I put the 10x5 prop on it and it has a lot of torque. I'm gonna measure the pull in ounces in a little while so I'll post it afterwards. I think it's ready to go.

View attachment 1503

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Sweet deal. I know that mine is about a 1.5:1 thrust to weight ratio. With a faster motor, you should be just a slight bit above that. Can't wait to see it in the air.

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
The plane weighs 2lbs 3oz, the thrust was at about 2lbs with my little kitchen hanger scale hooked to the tail with wide open throttle

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
Took it out to the field today but it was just to windy. I put the 12x6 prop on it and got about 2.2 lbs of pull out of it. tomorrow is spose to be nice, warm and no wind. We'll see...

Top Bottom