1. If you would like to get rid of these banners and the ads within the posts, all you have to do is sign up and they will go away!
  2. Welcome to Rc-Help, are you here looking for the PDF Plans? They are located in the store in the tab above, but you must be signed in to access that part of the site. It only takes a second to sign up!
  3. Like Us On Facebook!
    Hello Guest, it occurred to us during that last server failure that we had no way of informing the members of the site of the failure and I would like to invite you to like us on facebook so that you can get updates if the site happens to go down again. We don't post much over there unless we are updating the members so we will not flood your feed like some places do. Just click on Like and then allow notifications and that's it. See you there soon!

Click Here To Rc-Help's Facebook page!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, I see you are not signed up on our forum yet. Did you know Registration is FREE and is only a couple clicks away? You can even sign in from Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for your convenience! So what are you waiting for, CLICK HERE to join in on the conversation!

Kits 3D Hobby Shop Edge 540

Discussion in 'Airplanes' started by Rc-Help Member, Oct 29, 2011.

< Scratch Build Balsa Plane | Edge 540 Profile Plane >
  1. Rc-Help Member

Rc-Help Member I Love This Site!

Blog Posts:
    Home Page:
  2. coolgabsi

coolgabsi Super Mod & DEAL KING!

Blog Posts:
    Engineer
    It came with servos?

And the throws in that look ginormous.. ! :O

3. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    Congrats on the purchase Tommy. And Gaba, welcome to the world of 3D aircraft lol.

4. Rc-Help Member

Blog Posts:
    Home Page:
    Yep, came with everything, servos, Spektrum AR6100, and a burned out motor. I've already setup my radio, and tamed it down alot. Set my rate0 to 80/30 on the ail, ele, and rud, I also turned down the endpoints to 50%. Rate1 is setup 100/30. This is at least until I can get the feel of it.

I put a Alpha 370 with a 10.5 prop on it to see if I can get it to fly until the Omega 72g gets here.

5. zapster

zapster Member

Blog Posts:
    Heave Equipment Operator,Musician,Carpenter
    Dude !!! That is awesome,Who wouldnt want one of those planes ? have fun with it !

6. Rc-Help Member

Blog Posts:
    Home Page:
    Looks like I won't be needing that motor after all. I took it to the field and was going to just get it off the ground and before I knew it that sucker was airborne. Tried to bring it down gently but it nosed in and crunch. Well you know the rest. I got a couple of pics I'll load later. I'm at the field now and gonna fly my heli a little. (crapalmiteydoodoostompyourfeetstupidme)

7. Tony

Blog Posts:
    I like that last word, I say it a lot lol. Sorry to hear about your plane. These things can be twitchy as you found out, and you must land under power or it will stall. I suspect that is what happened to you when you tried to bring it down. Time to get some balsa sticks, CA and epoxy lol.

8. breeze400

breeze400 Spagetti Pilot

Blog Posts:
    Truck Driver
    Man that was a nice plane too. Hope you can fix it!

9. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Rule of thumb for crashes of a plane ( probably applies to heli's also )... gather all of the pieces and don't make an initial judgement of how bad it may be... then look at it a day or two later after the disappointment has had a chance to settle...

Balsa repairs are often easier than they appear... if you kept all of the pieces they will often fit right back together using a little CA. Coffe stirrers from Star Bucks work wonders were you may need to add a little additional strength and popcycle sticks are also useful.

3DHS also carries spare parts... a motorbox for example will run you about $10, a cowl or canopy about $15 plus shipping ( select USPS if its available to save a few bucks )... Of course since this is a 3D plane and most are trying to do stupid stuff low... the spare parts also are almost as popular as the ARF kit itself... lol

Good luck on that and hopefully it isn't as bad as you initially thought

10. coolgabsi

Blog Posts:
    Engineer
    Photos?? Sad to hear that. Really hope you can fix it man!

11. Rc-Help Member

Blog Posts:
    Home Page:
    Today was a "Not My Day" day!!!

After this.... tore up the whole frigginnn nose..

View attachment 1356 View attachment 1357

My Raptor 30 V1 decided the pinion bearing should quit working, so, I tried to auto down and took a hard bump, wasted the tailboom, most of the linkage rods, main shaft, and stripped a servo. I just laughed, Har Har!! Wut else could I do.. :crushed:

12. breeze400

breeze400 Spagetti Pilot

Blog Posts:
    Truck Driver
    A new cowl, a little TLC and she will be good has new! Lol.

13. coolgabsi

Blog Posts:
    Engineer
    Awwwww man!!! that sucks. Hope this plane comes together... I am sure the rappy will.

14. Rc-Help Member

Blog Posts:
    Home Page:
    Ha! Breeze I have zero experience repairing planes. I was going to buy a whole new fuse but they dont have any in stock. So, it gets shelved for now..

15. Tony

Blog Posts:
    eh, you can get that plane back in the air. some CA on the balsa, some epoxy on the wing tube in the fuse, and you are ready. maybe some tape on the nose cone until they get one in stock. What do the wings look like?

16. Rc-Help Member

Blog Posts:
    Home Page:
    Just the nose was crunched. Everything else is good. The damage you see is it. Oh, well one of the wing locking nuts sheared off but it's nylon and wont be a problem to get out with a easy-out and the front tab that holds the canopy in place was sheared. I'm still kicking myself asking what were you thinking, but whats done is done. I think I can get a nose cone and a repair kit. I just aint in any hurry to fix it. I got to have something to do this winter.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  17. Rc-Help Member

Blog Posts:
    Home Page:
    Ok, airplane dudes, tomorrow I get my replacement parts. I'm going to attempt to fix this thing myself. So, first question is what is the difference between monocote and ultracote?
    I'm going to have to fabricate the front bulkheads and some of the frame do I use basswood or Balsa? Do I glue the wood pieces with woodglue or CA? What is the best way to put the covering back on, in strips or try to do one solid piece and cut it down?
    This is my first run on a repair of a wood frame. If you look at the photos maybe you can help me out.

Here is a picture of the parts I'm getting
    View attachment 1396

Here are the pictures of the repairs I'm going to have to make.

View attachment 1399 View attachment 1400 View attachment 1401 View attachment 1402
    From the looks of it, it may be better to cut the whole front end off and build the motor box and stuff and work from inside to the outside. What do you think?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  18. breeze400

breeze400 Spagetti Pilot

Blog Posts:
    Truck Driver
    There is not much difference between the two coatings. Just different manufacturers. I would use a 15 minute epoxy. Get a good one from your hobby store. Has far has how to proceed with the repair, Tony should be able to help there!

19. Rc-Help Member

Blog Posts:
    Home Page:
    Thanks Breeze.. I'll be taking my time and shooting some pics along the way..

20. blueflame

blueflame New Member

Blog Posts:
    I am yet to get into planes but i'm sure you will have big fun!

< Scratch Build Balsa Plane | Edge 540 Profile Plane >