Kits 3D Hobby Shop Edge 540

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
Sunday 11-13/11 Progress ** Looks like a Plane again**

I made a lot of progress today. It aint perfect but I believe it will fly.. Here's some more pictures. All that is left is nailing everything down,Sanding it down good, removing the excess wood from the side panels and Lastly put on the new covering. I still need some ultracote, Iron, and a finishing iron. If any body can see anything else I need let me know..

View attachment 1461View attachment 1462View attachment 1464View attachment 1465View attachment 1466View attachment 1467View attachment 1468

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Looking good tommy. And you shouldn't need the finishing iron. You can do some pretty small areas with the regular iron like i have. Any LHS has them, and they are about $20 or so. And the Ultracote is about $15 a roll or there abouts. Can't wait to see it in the air again man. It's close.

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
Motor

I've been looking for a motor and I think everyone in RC Airplanes has ordered the same time as me. I can't find one of the rocket motors in stock anywhere in the US. I'm looking at this BPHobbies motor BPH - BP A2810-12 Brushless Outrunner Motor. I don't think I can use a prop mount on it though. I had rather have the Rocket motor that Tony was talking about.

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
Hey Tommy, I just checked and you are correct, they are out of everything. Go figure lol. However, there is a 1500kv that is the same size and weight, and watt rating as the 1300 kv. All you should have to do is adjust your prop size accordingly. Check it out. Exceed RC Rocket 2215-1500KV Brushless Motor for RC Plane

I just ordered one. I have a few props at home. I think one is 9x7, a 10x5, and a 12x5. I'll have to look.

Tony

Staff member
The prop that I was running was an 11x5.5 and it worked great. If you have a watt meter, check it out on the ground to see what it's pulling. If it's too much, lower the pitch of the prop and try it again. I'm thinking that your 10x5 may be perfect, but may not be long enough to get around the cowl properly. Only one way to find out though.

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
The props I have are a 12x6 and two 10.5's. I got everything sanded down and ready to cover. I dropped the dam thing tonight but it didn't hurt anything, I guess thats a good sign...lol

Tony

Staff member
Just wait until you are walking out the door and slam the tail into the door jamb lmao. Been there. And either of those props will work. My 50" Edge suggests the 12x6, but an inch is not that much. Just make sure there is enough ground clearance when that tail comes up. Other than that, get that sucker covered and back in the air.

Tony

Staff member
I have found that the sock isn't needed. Like you I thought the idea of the sock was great, then I put it on and it didn't work so well. I have only used mine once and it's now sitting in a box never to be used again. However, if I ever do a covering that is dark and shows scratches really well, then I will use it. Otherwise, I just go without.

The Ultracote should have come with instructions. Those are the best you can get. Tack the corners down first, then work your way out from the center if you can. I have found on large solid surfaces, an oven mitt and a heat gun works best, but can be done with the iron if you don't have the heat gun.

Other that that, it's pretty simple. Just cut it large, and have a blast. Like paint, the sky's the limit.

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
how can I get the temp on the iron? suppose to be 220 degrees for application. Nevermind I'll use my temp gun duh!!

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
lol, that is what I did lol. Then, just remember where you set it. I think mine is set to about 230-240, then I will crank it up when I want to shrink the covering.

Tony

Staff member
Right, don't peel the backing until you are ready. You can separate the two with two pieces of tape. Makes it easier if you don't have an end piece. And yes, the clear backing that you removed is covering up the glue side. It's not sticky until you apply heat though.

Tony

Staff member
That looks really good. I can't tell, but did you overlap your new over your old? If not, run a 1/2" strip down that seam. The Ultracote provides strength to the fuse, and that seam will be a weak point. Now, go out and get some black and silver and finish her off lmao :biggrin1:

Rc-Help Member

I Love This Site!
Not gonna spend another 30 for a roll of black and a roll of silver. I'm gonna fly it like it is. Hell no since in doing that when I'm gonna tear it up again this weekend...lol. I did not do the seam thing I did over lap a little.

Tony

Staff member
As long as you have at least 1/8" overlap, you will be cool. Get some video this time lol. I want to see this plane LAND!!! :D

Top Bottom