General Working on helis

trainrider06

Thanks Steve, but I don't really have a heli project right now, when the work is going on things get quite messy :)

Heliman450

Hi there, couldn't resist putting something down on this one.

For me the assembly of the helis wasn't a problem as I've always been the kind of guy who takes stuff apart and puts it back together. Setting up is another matter but can take a lot of time to digest the new knowledge and put it to good use. I find videos aren't so good as lots of the important info is spoken and so you have to go over and over and sometimes write it down. It does get easier though as time goes by and you pick up stuff from the guys here to apply to many situations.

I work standing up due to back trouble and find it's much easier than sitting. I spread out a towel underneath the heli and on the floor, too when handling very small parts. It's surprising how far a small screw will bounce once it hits a hard floor. Lots of spare screws etc. as per Rodney's suggestion is also a way to go. However, I still have loads that I've never needed and still buy others as required that aren't in my kit. I use a range of plastic containers when stripping and rebuilding and put the bits for each assembly together in separate containers. Move them to one side so your work area stays clear and you don't accidentally knock them on the floor whilst doing other things.

Most importantly clear up your work area after each session and put away what you don't need, that way you can always find what you want to use next. That was my woodwork teacher's most valuable lesson when I was in school.

Finally, I've found it much better working on a bigger heli (550) rather than the smaller ones as everything is about the right size for my fingers and eyesight, too, but of course with size comes increased costs!

Good luck and have fun!

Heliman450

I called round at our helipad owner's farm this morning and guess what? He crashed my ex Blade 450X. He also started trying to fix it in real farmer style, so here are some photos of my workshop together with my latest 'customer'.

1. IMG_0971S.JPG 2. IMG_0972S.JPG 3. IMG_0973S.JPG

4. IMG_0974S.JPG 5. IMG_0976S.JPG

IMG_0971S.JPG

IMG_0972S.JPG

IMG_0973S.JPG

IMG_0974S.JPG

IMG_0976S.JPG

trainrider06

Your work area is worthy of a surgeons operating room Phil!
Man what in the world happened to that thing? Massive electronic over heat?

Heliman450

I think poor Dino's thread has been hijacked by us all too! Lol

Hi Rodney, I wouldn't exactly say that the thread has been hijacked. He asked for some information on how we tackle building helis and he's got lots of feedback to consider.

Like me, he's retired, so maybe an old git's workshop with 'standing room only' will suit him :chickendance:

The heli is the most damaged that I've ever tackled in so much that it's a total strip-down, hence, using my whole collection of containers to hold all the bits. There are missing parts, the bottom bearing, one of the ball links to start off with. My friend began to repair the most obvious damage without stripping it down. It was a very heavy sideways crash, which broke the frame right through. I think his glue is something he cooked up himself from an old steer :biggrin1:

I created a parts/price list of the new bits and they come out at around $70 worth, so although it looks bad it's worth rebuilding. The most expensive single part is the main frame at $30. I'll see him today to get his go-ahead on buying them although one set of bearings will need to be ordered. As it's my own ex Blade 450X, I have some parts that will be used to rebuild the main rotor head and as one of the servos is a bit suspect between us we've got enough spare servos to overcome this if needs be. I want to explore what my new charging station can do with the servo. There's a servo test feature but I've got no idea yet how much use it is in this case.

So Dino, what do you think? Is your thread hijacked? Apologies if you think so.

Good luck with your future building!

leedude1

Hey Dino,

Another Canuck on the forum hola my man... yeah I started by pulling apart and older walkera and then the builds, the fixes and the forum filled in the rest. Where bouts in the great white north you from sir.

Top Bottom