General Working on helis

sneezy007

Hey guys,

Just wondering how did everyone learn to work on their helis? I have always bought used or paid someone else to fix them for me.
Now that I'm retired, I don't have a disposable income and need to learn to do this myself.

Thanks,
Dino

These days youtube and flrums like these are your best friend otherwise another experienced person in your area will help.

When i started out i relied on one person to help me out, although it was nice i wasnt learning much. Nowadays everything is on the internet

Admiral

As a kid I used to pull things apart to see what made them tick, some never made it back together some did, but it's given me the confidence to tackle almost anything.

Love Youtube it has taken a lot of the guesswork pulling things to bits.

murankar

Staff member
Take it apart and put it back together. Have the manual handy in case you get stuck. THis forum has plenty of resources at your disposal.

As to your question: I learned by building them. Once you learn the basics they are all basically the same.

trainrider06

As a kid I used to pull things apart to see what made them tick, some never made it back together some did, but it's given me the confidence to tackle almost anything.

Love Youtube it has taken a lot of the guesswork pulling things to bits.

My parents bought me a Cox Dune Buggy one year for Christmas, I played with it for a few days, then wondered how it all worked, tore the thing to pieces wondering why and how....they were pretty pissed! Finally after a little more knowing what the hell i was doing I got it running a few years later! LOL

KLA

Rodney can vouch for this one, but I first learned to work on helis from "trying" to fly the Blade SR. With that heli you learn an awful lot about repair and set up,,cause if the SR isn't set up properly it's just plain old not gonna fly. But I couldn't have done it without the help of these forums.

trainrider06

Rodney can vouch for this one, but I first learned to work on helis from "trying" to fly the Blade SR. With that heli you learn an awful lot about repair and set up,,cause if the SR isn't set up properly it's just plain old not gonna fly. But I couldn't have done it without the help of these forums.

Heck yea to that Keith! :)

Derek

Hey Dino...I have to agree with all the above posts. YouTube has an awesome wealth of info. RC forums are a huge asset. This forum, in particular, has dozens of helicopter pilots and, from what I can tell (4 years on this forum), everyone here is always willing to lend a hand and give info. No one here knows it all but, as whole, this forum is amazing!!!

Matthias also has a good point. Building a new heli kit is an awesome way to learn how things go together, but you did mention that you are now retired and you don't have a large disposable income. So, a used helicopter may be a better way to go. Do you have your own helicopter(s)? Do you have a manual(s)? Taking a helicopter apart and putting it back together may be a good idea....with the manual handy, of course. If you don't wanna take a helicopter apart right now, no worries....just holler at us when you have a specific question(s).

Something else you may consider, when you get done reading this....go grab some coffee and cookies....then get on YouTube and just search out "rc helicopter build". There are many many videos of helicopter builds and many of them are broken down into "parts". This way, you can see whats going on. If you have a specific helicopter, you may try doing a search for your specific helicopter and add the word "build" and see if there are any build videos for your helicopter.

In the end...just remember that we'll be here to help out!

Best of luck in your retirement, buddy!!!

sneezy007

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the tips, I have discovered tons of information on the Internet. A lot of is junk though and you have to filter out the bad to find the good.
Thanks for your offer to help out, you guys are the best. I have two helis now but don't really want to take them apart as it's flying season. Something to definitely thing about over the winter.

Cheers,
Dino

trainrider06

Hey Dino, you might consider getting say a basket case heli, of a heli you'd like to have within the 450 range. If you were to pick up something like a frame, tail and head, it would help you get a really good understanding by finding the correct parts, and putting it together. That way you could go at it at your own pace, learn the ropes of finding parts and deals so that it's not so expensive. Just a thought for ya.

sneezy007

Hey Dino, you might consider getting say a basket case heli, of a heli you'd like to have within the 450 range. If you were to pick up something like a frame, tail and head, it would help you get a really good understanding by finding the correct parts, and putting it together. That way you could go at it at your own pace, learn the ropes of finding parts and deals so that it's not so expensive. Just a thought for ya.

I never thought of that Rodney. Of course then I'm going to start asking questions about motors, kv, pinions, servos etc.
The electronics part is a whole other challenge to learn.

Thanks,
Dino

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Dino...I have to agree with all the above posts. YouTube has an awesome wealth of info. RC forums are a huge asset. This forum, in particular, has dozens of helicopter pilots and, from what I can tell (4 years on this forum), everyone here is always willing to lend a hand and give info. No one here knows it all but, as whole, this forum is amazing!!!

Matthias also has a good point. Building a new heli kit is an awesome way to learn how things go together, but you did mention that you are now retired and you don't have a large disposable income. So, a used helicopter may be a better way to go. Do you have your own helicopter(s)? Do you have a manual(s)? Taking a helicopter apart and putting it back together may be a good idea....with the manual handy, of course. If you don't wanna take a helicopter apart right now, no worries....just holler at us when you have a specific question(s).

Something else you may consider, when you get done reading this....go grab some coffee and cookies....then get on YouTube and just search out "rc helicopter build". There are many many videos of helicopter builds and many of them are broken down into "parts". This way, you can see whats going on. If you have a specific helicopter, you may try doing a search for your specific helicopter and add the word "build" and see if there are any build videos for your helicopter.

In the end...just remember that we'll be here to help out!

Best of luck in your retirement, buddy!!!

Hey Derek,

Yes I'm finding all kinds of good stuff on You Tube. For instance I found a 6 part video on how to set up your Castle ESC. I have to do that for the used Logo I bought.
Of course I watched Tony's awesome video 3 times before I mustered up the courage to set up the AR7200BX receiver that came with the Logo.
I almost did a really dumb thing yesterday. I was watching the video on the Castle set up and the guy says I have to plug my ESC in to the battery because it's HV.
Little did I realize that my ESC is not HV. Thank God the connectors on the ESC were opposite to my batteries. I would have fried my ESC and computer had I plugged it in. I have to pay more attention and be way more careful when I'm watching these videos.

Thanks buddy, retirement is really good so far. Have an awesome day.

Cheers,
Dino

sneezy007

Hey guys,

One thing I forgot to ask you is how do you keep track of the parts when you take the heli apart?
Baggies, cups, plates??

Thanks,
Dino

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey sneezy, bless-U Lol This is what I use to sort just my 450 of parts. I need to get a few more. One for each bird. Pick it up at a yard sale. IMG_0501.JPG Here's the first stage IMG_0504.JPG Second stage IMG_0505.JPG and the third stage IMG_0506.JPG Works good enough for me.

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0504.JPG

IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0506.JPG

Tony

Staff member
I have been doing it so long that I just kind of know where things go. before though, I would put each part next to what it went in on a paper towel.

sneezy007

Hey guys,

Lots of great ideas, another friend of mine uses ziploc bags and marks each bag with whatever he puts in there.

Thanks again,
Dino

trainrider06

I use multiple things for parts storage arrangements
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
Also save all of those little zip bags from parts to reuse for other little parts screws etc...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

trainrider06

No problem Ivan, that's what we are here for to share help and have fun! :)
I ordered a screw pack from Align a while back, and you would not believe the amount of screws, washers, shims, and other little needed things that come in that kit. The pack covers 250-500 size Align's, and one can adapt to other heli brands also. They are all labeled and packaged in individual bags. Best investment I've made in a while! Then I picked up these small divided plastic containers, labeled the compartment with what screw went where. Makes it easy finding the size I need!

Smoggie

Nice well organised work station there Rodney. Mine is a mess by comparison, I just cant seem to keep my workplace tidy either at home or at work. I've got a messy mind i guess.

I often spend longer looking for tools than i do actually doing the job:rolleyes1:

Top Bottom