1. Guest, Thank you for visiting Rc-Help. Please do NOT post tech questions in this section, post them in the Tech section instead. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you would like to get rid of these banners and the ads within the posts, all you have to do is sign up and they will go away!
  3. Welcome to Rc-Help, are you here looking for the PDF Plans? They are located in the store in the tab above, but you must be signed in to access that part of the site. It only takes a second to sign up!
  4. Like Us On Facebook!
    Hello Guest, it occurred to us during that last server failure that we had no way of informing the members of the site of the failure and I would like to invite you to like us on facebook so that you can get updates if the site happens to go down again. We don't post much over there unless we are updating the members so we will not flood your feed like some places do. Just click on Like and then allow notifications and that's it. See you there soon!

Click Here To Rc-Help's Facebook page!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, I see you are not signed up on our forum yet. Did you know Registration is FREE and is only a couple clicks away? You can even sign in from Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for your convenience! So what are you waiting for, CLICK HERE to join in on the conversation!

Who's Into Saltwater?

Discussion in 'RC-Help Lounge' started by Tony, Sep 28, 2012.

< What's Your Status? | Electrical Issues >
  1. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

Just went to put the powerhead in my barrel to mix some salt in the water I made a while back. I measured out 22 cups of salt, went over and grabbed the cleaned and ready powerhead, put it in the barrel, plugged it in and grabbed my phone to turn it on. Hit the on button... nothing. The controller comes on, but the pump is not spinning. Thought maybe I got some saltwater in the plug, cleaned it out, nice and shiny brass, plugged it in and turned it on... nothing. Checked another controller, same thing.

Pump is dead. It was pulled out of my aquarium working, cleaned and put up waiting for the barrel. And now.... it's a paperweight. That is the last time I will clean them with vinegar to get rid of the coralline algae. I don't know if that was actually the issue, but this is the first pump to die on me. Now, I don't have a pump to mix the salt water. Well, I do have others, that draw almost 250 watts.... Not going to happen. This sucks.

2. Brick

Brick Member

when you make your own RO/DI water. I read where you have 3x more disposable water than actual RO/DI water. does this sound correct ? How long would you say it takes you to make like 10 gallons ?

3. Tony

Yes, you will make about 3-4 gallons of waste water to every gallon of clean water. It is just the way the membrane works. I have a dual system (RO) so my waste is a little lower and my production is higher. In fact, I just moved my setup so I will post a picture of it below.

As for making 10 gallons, Depending on water temp, pressure and other factors like single or dual RO, it will take around about an hour to make that much. Maybe a little longer. It's definitely not fast, that is why most of us have storage tanks for water. Just let it keep filling when you don't need it and keep it on hand.

4. Tony

Here is my setup.

47E24D14-C773-4F94-BB3E-32D3D9CCF391.jpeg

Brick likes this.
  5. Tony

So keeping with the RO/DI setup, my pressure pump started leaking pretty good and I didn't know it because it was under the kitchen sink. Since the hoses are on the top, all of the water ran down into the motor and rusted it out pretty good in there.

I just finished taking it apart and completely cleaning it (no pictures, didn't figure anyone would want to see a rusty electric motor lol) and putting it back together and I'm running it on a stress test right now. I should have about 90 psi running through it at this time and I'm letting it go for a while to see if the motor or power supply gets hot or if the motor starts making noises.

Speaking of noises, I took the motor back apart and put a little Team Trinity bearing oil into all of the bearings and that stopped the squeak that I was hearing when it was under a heavy load.

We will see how things go in about an hour of pushing 90+ PSI of pressure, which this pump has never done lol.

6. Tony

So it turns out, I had the pump set to a MUCH higher pressure than I thought. I had it set to well over 120psi. How did I find this out? Well, I put the auto shutoff valve on backwards, and the entire system that is only meant for a max of about 90psi, shot way past what my 100psi gauge could read. Basically, the system you see above.... Became a ticking time bomb.

With that said though, they system did hold the pressure for the limited time it was there and I was able to see the issue and correct it. However, the auto shutoff valve was permanently damaged unfortunately. Thankfully I have a backup, but it likes to buzz when there is a change in pressure, so it's annoying. Will need to order a new shutoff valve.

So at this time, I'm going to just run without the booster pump and see how it goes.

7. Brick

Brick Member

We are on a well system. I kinda hate to run the pump that long. we still have the old above ground style pump, and it is a little old. (but works like a champ). the local fish store sells rodi water for 60 cent a gallon, and redsea saltwater for $1.25 gallon. I may just get a couple of 5 gallon water jugs to keep water on hand to get started. They are having an Aquatics Tradeshow tomorrow near us. suppose to have almost 100 vendors there. I'm pretty hyped . maybe I can Finally bring home a Cube !

8. Tony

I'm on a well as well. 340' well though lol. That is where your booster pump comes into play as well as your storage pressure tank. ro/di runs so slow that if your big well pump kicks on, it will be for a short time.

9. Tony

It's been a bit since I updated this thread. I figured since I'm digging deep into the site today, I would go ahead and give a small update. There really is not much.

So about a month ago, I made fresh water for the tank and had it mixed and circulating... Today, I FINALLY had time to do a water change and I changed 40 gallons of water in my 90 gallon tank. It has been way too long since my last water change so about a 35% to 40% (including sump) water change was definitely needed. That and this water has been sitting in a barrel circulating every hour for 5 minutes. So it needed to be used.

So got the water change done and I have made a determination. I'm going to see about doing a 15 gallon water change every week, maybe even a 10 gallon change. Just depends on if I forget to check the barrel while it's filling lol. The best option would be to have a dedicated barrel with freshwater in it only which the wife and I both can take out of (she has a cichlid tank) but with the current situation in the world today, I'm not going to find a barrel lol.

So for now, the water is changed and I need to clean the barrel out and get it ready for the next change. That's my update. I did a water change. Yay me lol.

< What's Your Status? | Electrical Issues >