Who's Into Saltwater?

Tony

Staff member
We plan on getting him a beginner set up for his birthday next month.
Just a word of advise, you can get started in a smaller tank, like a 29 gallon with a hang on back filter. However, you will have to keep up with very regular water changes, and watch the bio load. If it's something that he ends up loving, the second tank should be a reef tank with a sump. More water equals way more stable! You will also want a skimmer to help with the bio load.

IMO, a 40 gallon breeder will work perfectly as a beginner tank as you can use it as a sump for the new tank (as long as it will fit under it).

And if you or he has any questions, hit me up. I'm always happy to help out!

Tony's tank is awesome. Fish tanks are cool to look at as long there someone else's to take care of :).
Thanks Ivan, Not too awesome right now, but it may get back to that point.

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Thank you Tony for your advice. Will follow your recommendation. Learn from his older sister's this is all he's talking about. Told my daughter we got this. All he has to do is pick out the fish he wants. And of course they'll guide him along ensuring a good fit. :peaceful: :banana: He was star struck Tony of your setup, you made a serious impression. :arms::hdbng:

Tony

Staff member
Here's a video for an update to the tank. Neglected is the word of the day, but I'm hoping to turn that around.

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Awesome job Tony, when you first show what your passion for this other hobby, I show those photos to my grandson. We help him get started and believe he found his calling. We all notice the way he's been reading and researching on the internet plus watching National Geographic on the Disney channel. His parents have also got involved with him. Who knows might become a marine biologist when he grows up :yahoo: Thank you for sharing and they may go salt water.

Tony

Staff member
That is awesome James. Sounds like he is really digging what is below the surface of our oceans. There are some pretty awesome things out there to see, that's for sure.

It is definitely a lot of fun when things are running smooth. I need to do a water change today and may take another video when I'm done.

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Oh also forgot to mention my grandson lives 30 minutes from Baltimore Maryland. They have a very nice aquarium that's huge. We also have a decent size one here in Virginia Beach, Va. about 15 minutes from my home.

Tony

Staff member
I have heard good things about the NE Aquariums. And it's an awesome place to go check out. You had mentioned he may be interested in becoming a Marine Biologist, see about getting a behind the scenes look at what goes on to keep those large aquariums going on the back end. I'm sure he will love the science behind what goes into them, and the care that goes into each fish in that tank.

Tony

Staff member
It's a lot of fun to tinker with for me. Coding the aquarium controller is quite fun. But just sitting in the living room on the couch and watching the fish and coral do their thing is peaceful. Great conversation piece.

I have thought about starting a nano tank, likely a 29 gallon AIO (All In One) just to show how easy it can be.

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
I have heard good things about the NE Aquariums. And it's an awesome place to go check out. You had mentioned he may be interested in becoming a Marine Biologist, see about getting a behind the scenes look at what goes on to keep those large aquariums going on the back end. I'm sure he will love the science behind what goes into them, and the care that goes into each fish in that tank.
Marine Science is big business along the east coast. Several colleges work hand in hand with NATIONAL OCEANIC SCIENCE ADMINISTATION.

Tony

Staff member
Okay, so a pretty big change today. I'm sure some of you noticed I did not do any update on the tank last weekend and that was because I had other things going on. Still no water change lol. Coming soon I promise. Well, "soon" may not be the right word, but there are some changes coming that I think y'all will like. Will keep you posted as we progress as there are many pieces to this puzzle.

Tony

Staff member
Okay, so the water changes have been happening about every week and at about 10-15 gallons each, which is all that is needed. I'm about to do another water change with about 12 gallons that was remaining in my barrel and I'm making new water right now to mix new saltwater.

There is a pretty big change that will come in the coming months to the tank, we are just trying to save up to afford it. It's something the wife and I both have wanted since about a year into the hobby, and it's finally happening. I honestly cannot wait and I will definitely be getting it all on video. I'm sure at least a few of you will enjoy it.

For now though, onto the 12 gallon water change, testing, and dosing.

Tony

Staff member
Yea, kind of bummed about breaking that large colony of hammer, but I was thinking about going back down to 4 heads anyway. Now I have a good reason to... Not digging the look of the tank at this stage. But, big changes will be coming soon'ish ™

Tony

Staff member
Did some testing today, and the results are below.

KH7.5
CA429
NO²11.3
PO⁴0.07

Dosed some KH to raise that up over 24 hours to 9.5, CA is fine, PO⁴ is fine, but that NO² is quite high. NO² is NItrates and I like to stay under about 5. I did do the test after I did the water change, so there may have been some sand detritus in the water column as I didn't want very long to grab my tank sample. More work to come.

Top Bottom