Who's Into Saltwater?

Tony

Staff member
Finally able to do some work to the aquarium. As you know, I have had one hell of a time with hair algae. And even though all of the tests have come back 0, there is something wrong. I'm really thinking there is some phosphates in the tank, but we can't detect it because the algae is using all of it to grow. Same with Nitrates.

So last weekend I purchased a GFO/Carbon reactor. The GFO will take the phosphates out of the water, and the carbon will make the water Oh so clear. My main worry is ammonia. I can't find my Diamond Goby and I have a feeling he is dead under a rock somewhere. That Ammonia can crash a tank so I need carbon.

So As of about an hour ago, I put the GFO/Carbon on the tank. We will see in a month if it's working. Man I sure hope so.

And a bonus of the new reactor... I now have a wrench for my Ro/Di system lmao.

Tony

Staff member
Here are some pictures of the tank now. Taken with my cell phone so quality is not that good. And used flash on the algae pictures...

These two pictures are of the algae. We turned the lights off for 3 days after a massive water change and that seemed to help, but the algae is growing again. Once the lights came back on, the algae started growing like crazy again.
20140522_174951.jpg
20140522_175005.jpg

Here is a full tank shot. The glass was cleaned by the wife just today. I am hoping that the GFO will help with the glass. One thing that I'm worried about is Blenny. If there is no algae, then he will not survive. But thankfully, he will and does eat flake food. like a mad man lmao.
20140522_175020.jpg

This is a picture of my sump from teh left side. You can see the new GFO/Carbon reactor right in the center of the screen behind the center stand brace.

20140522_175047.jpg

Here is a picture of the GFO reactor. The picture doesn't show it, but I have it tumbling so that it doesn't clump together. I really hope this stuff works!!!
20140522_175105.jpg

If you look closely, this is my Carbon reactor. This will take out any ammonia and cloudiness in the water.
20140522_175136.jpg

I sure do hope this works.

20140522_174951.jpg

20140522_175005.jpg

20140522_175020.jpg

20140522_175047.jpg

20140522_175105.jpg

20140522_175136.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Well, the GFO is still tumbling, I have put new filter socks on and ditched the mesh and the water seems to be much clearer. Thinking about turning on my sump light again so that I can get some Chaeto growing again. But so far, all I have had to do with the new reactor is set the flow once after flushing the dust out of it, then set the flow. Everything is going pretty smoothly.

I should know in a month or so if the GFO is working. So you know I will keep you posted.

Tony

Staff member
It's the same, they both feed on the same thing. So yeah, you know what I'm talking about lol.

Tony

Staff member
all of my corals are real though hahahaha. And the star fish that I have had don't have eyes hehe. That is a good looking tank though.

Tony

Staff member
Well it seems that Matt's tank is doing better than mine is. We will find out. I just gave him some Montipora, some Eagle Eye Zoo's and some green stars. I would have given him some Xenia but I dont' have enough yet to frag unfortunately.

callsign4223

Staff member
I don't know about doing better. I've lost 3 chromis now, but the last one I think got crushed last night when the rock shifted when I was trying to dig the green star outta the whole it got blown into. The zoos did open up a bit today though.

Tony

Staff member
Wow, it's been 5 months since the last post in this thread. That is way too long.

I will admit, I have lost interest in a lot of things with everything else that is going on. From the Rc Hobby to my aquarium. But, I'm hoping to change all of that and get reconnected with everything.

I hate to admit it, but I have not done a water change in a very long time. I ran out of Calk (which puts calcium back in the tank as well as some other trace elements) and the only thing I have done is filled my ATO (Automatic Top-Off). Other than that, I have done nothing to the tank. And as I'm sure you guys remember, I had an algae problem that was horrible. But I did have a reactor, and I was running GFO (Granulated Ferric Oxide) as well as carbon. I don't remember when, but I woke up one day, looked at the tank, and there was NO algae in there. I mean NONE! I have no idea if the fish just got hungry, or if the GFO was working, but something worked.

Because of this, I turned my sump light back on for my refugium to try and grow my little pods again. They all pretty much died out from the lack of light down there. I also raised my intensity up on my lights. I had turned them down to 45% not only for the algae issue, but also because it saves on my electricity bill.

We did add a few new members to the tank. The wife and I were fed up with our urchin eating all of the coraline algae off of the rocks, and it also ate my Xenia (wanted him gone just because of this) so we took him up to a shop that said they would trade him off. Well, once I fished this massive urchin out of my tank and put him in a 5 gallon bucket (it's the only thing he would fit in) then drove up there, they said they wouldn't do a trade on an urchin. Yeah, that figures.

So we left there with only getting some Kalk since the tank needed it and started heading back south to my house. Along the way we stopped at PetCo which I hate for fish. But I thought I would check them out. They ended up having some really great looking Bangi Cardinals which is the ONLY reason we got the urchin for in the first place. When they need protection, they swim within his spines. And we wanted to raise the fry (babies) since these fish are going for about $25 each.

Well, they had a sale on the Cardinals so we picked up 5 of them. They also had a sale on a Royal Gramma which is one of my favorite fish and I had one in my last tank. They look nice, but these guys are a little badass lol. This one is very small though, but he holds his own in the tank. And I'm happy to say, all of the fish are doing great. The last round of Bangi's we got had a virus that killed them off after about a month. These are showing no signs of anything and I KNOW they were captive bread so there is no depletion of the reefs or oceans. I hope they stay this way because they are great to watch.

I"m sure you remember the Fox Face that I got a while back, well, he is fat and healthy as ever. I have been putting some dried seaweed in there for him and the Tang and they are tearing it up! Those two are almost always together and it's like they are both having a measuring contest with each other. They are always doing something to try and make the other mad lol. It's great to watch these two.

My clowns are doing great, but I'm going to find them a new home. They are not a "mated" pair, but they are a "bonded" pair. I'm sure in the right tank, they could mate up, but just not in this one. Too much going on. I really want to get some Picasso Clowns. Google it, they are quite unique, and expensive so they have to wait.

My Blenny is also doing quite well, but with the loss of all of the algae, I"m worried for him. But he is fat and so far healthy. There is a picture of him below under a rock.

My Monti is doing amazing. Even without water changes or calcium, this stuff just grows like crazy.

I purchased a 2 head hammer frag and again, without water changes or calcium, it has exploded into 8 heads. Doing great.

As stated, my Xenia was eaten by the urchin. If the Bangi's survive, I will be happy without Xenia to have little fry swimming in the urchin. But if they die, the urchin is going to become fertilizer for my garden.

My Zoa's are doing okay. They are not spreading like they should, but that is to be expected with the lack of water changes. They are filter feeders after all.

The green stars are taking over the tank though. In the pictures below, there is a large swath of green in the middle, that is the green stars. So Matt, if you need more, I'm sure I can get you some lol. There is a ball in there that they originated on, and I have no idea where it is now. It's been completely over grown with these things.

And sadly, I still can't find my Goby. He just up and vanished. He is not in the tank, he is not on the floor and he is not in my over flow or sump. I'm pretty sure he got poked by the urchin, died, and the urchin and shrimp ate him. I love that fish and will get another one.

Oh, and my Chromis. Anyone want the two that is left? They were the dominant two in teh tank and they are the only ones left alive. Little badass' lol.

So that should catch you up on what is going on with the tank. I am making up about 45 gallons of Di water now so that I can do a water change. I feel the tank deserves it. I do know after this change, I'm going to need to order some more salt, but that is going to have to be when things settle down and I have $60 to spend on salt. But for now, I'm going to do a massive water change, then some small ones every couple of weeks. I just hope that is enough to keep it all going like it is. And with the addition of the Kalk, everything should start growing like crazy.

Man I missed making these posts.

Here are some pictures of the tank taken a couple weeks ago.

20141025_115910_resized_1.jpg
20141108_142459_resized.jpg
20141108_142504_resized.jpg
20141108_142937_resized.jpg
20141108_143025_resized.jpg
20141108_143449_resized.jpg
20141127_080558_2_bestshot_resized.jpg

20141025_115910_resized_1.jpg

20141108_142459_resized.jpg

20141108_142504_resized.jpg

20141108_142937_resized.jpg

20141108_143025_resized.jpg

20141108_143449_resized.jpg

20141127_080558_2_bestshot_resized.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Okay so I finished making the water for the water change (takes about 8 hours to make 45 gallons of DI water) and started getting everything ready. First, the pump. I took my 1200 out of the tank to save electricity and put my 950 in the tank. So I mix water with teh 1200. Overkill, I know lol. So I pull out the pump and the shroud is not on it. Then I remembered, when I bought this tank used (or the one that matt has), it had this 950gph pump in it, and all of the screws were rusted. That is when I purchased this 1200. So I had to find screws.

Went out to my shop and found some screws that would work, came in and started putting it together just to find that the ceramic shaft was broke. Ah well, I think it will still work.

Put the heater in the water, put the pump in the water and started heating and circulating the water. Just then I realized, I have no way to measure salinity (amount of salt in the water), my hydrometer broke. Crap, ah well, I know a full bag will get it close.

Just then, the pump makes a funny noise and just quits. No water circulation, no way for me to get it in the tank let alone, get the old water out of the tank.

So here I sit with 45 gallons of deionized water and I can't do anything with it. All I can do is laugh.

Matt, I need a pump and your refractometer.... lol

Tony

Staff member
So I finally made the order to get a water change done on the aquarium. I also had to order new filters for my RO/DI system and since my hydrometer broke, I had to have something. A store had a refractometer on sale, so I picked it up as well. I also ordered more GFO just in case. Received the order today but just don't have the time or energy to replace all of the filters on the RO/DI system.

I did calibrate the refractometer with the calibration fluid that they sent though. However, that fluid is calibrated at 77ºF, and I keep my house at 68ºF. But, I set it to 35PPL since that is what it's calibrated to. I checked my water, and I'm at 1.0255 on my salinity. That is just .0005 off from the 1.026 that I was wanting to keep. Talk about being close without any way to check. So my salinity (salt content in the water) was spot on!

I did order the parts to make up the new salt water for a water change that the tank desperately needs, however they will not be here until next week. So the water change will have to wait.

On a side note, I have algae growing on my sand bed. I REALLY need to get my goby back! I miss that little guy.

Tony

Staff member
After getting done with everything I was wanting to do today (video uploading), I came in and got on the computer. First thing, I put brokeauto back up to test some things. Second thing, I made me something to eat and as I was walking back into my room, I wondered if the wife fed the fish. I know, I have not done an update on the fish in some time. So I kicked the pumps off and put food in the tank. That is when I realized it.... One of my favorite fish was missing. I look all around for the head or something to tell me if he had died. I didn't find anything. But this is supposed to be a "difficult" fish to keep so it wouldn't surprise me.

So I look for a while as my food is getting cold and just before I said the hell with it, I remembered one of my clowns jumping into the overflow. I looked for a mirror to see down there, adn I couldn't find a mirror. So I used a CD. That didn't work. So lastly, I fired up my camera and looked down there in the view finder with my flashlight, and boom, there he was just swimming around happy as ever. Well, as happy as you can be in a space about 2% the size of what he is used to lol.

So now, I have to get his ass out. This is easier said than done. But after about 15 minutes of fishing, I get him back in the main tank. Man, what a pain in teh ass that was. I think I need to come up with some kind of screen to put over that overflow to keep them out so this doesn't happen again.

More to come soon as I get caught up.

Top Bottom