Who's Into Saltwater?

Tony

Staff member
Here is an old picture of them. I know I have more pictures, but they are not on this computer. I have circled the 3 goby's. As you can see, back then they had a solid white stripe, but now have bars.

20130418_191241.jpg

20130418_191241.jpg

wolfman76

Oh ok I did see them before that's would explain why I thought the were new Cu's they changed their Colorado pattern

Tony

Staff member
I was tired and sore after that build. I'm sure Matt was even more sore after busting his ass trying to get the tank up my steps lmao.

Tony

Staff member
And he thought this was going to be an easy move. The first clue should have been me asking to use his truck when the houses are only about 100' apart lmao.

wolfman76

Omg, my arms were jello for 3 days after that.

I can only imagine a buddy of mine moved his 250 gallon tank into his house he told me it took about 4 or 5 guys to lift and move just the tank bare with nuthin in it when he was done he had a leopard shark lion fish scorpion fish leopard grouper you heard me right a leopard Grouper and an emporer angel. Looks good though Tony can't. Wait till I can setup my 26 euro tank. And I have plans to build a 100 gallon euro tank also have a buddy that is going to hook me up with the acrylic for it 1/2" thick...

Tony

Staff member
A 100 gallon tank with only 1/2" acrylic? I hope you have good home owners insurance. For a 30" tall tank that is braced, you want .850" acrylic and if you don't want braced, you want 1.250". 1/2", or .500", will bust in a hurry. And even 50 gallons of saltwater will screw up yoru carpets and walls.

wolfman76

Most of the 100 gallon. Bowfront acrylic tanks I have seen for sale on Internet only use 1/2" thick acrylic that is what I was basing that on... one of the guys that is selling one is very reputable guy from California actually has his own Tv show you can watch episodes on youtube I will have to find his website that sales them on... been awhile since I was donn it think he actually calls himself the aquarium guy on youtube or sumthin like that

Tony

Staff member
If you do this with 1/2" acrylic, put a webcam on that tank for the first month and record everything. Make sure you have protection for all of your electrical stuff...

wolfman76

Have to do more research i know there are different types of acrylic like extruded not sure which one is stronger

Tony

Staff member
You don't want extruded, you want cast. I'm using extruded for my sumps, but I don't care about what it looks like when you look through it. It's a sump lol. If I build a show tank, it will be cell cast acrylic.

wolfman76

Oh ok will check more into it see what kind of acrylic my buddy has it is used to protect fork lift drivers from berries from the aluminum furnaces.... So it is pretty tuff stuff. ..

Tony

Staff member
So I did a water change (10 gallons) on the tank today, and as I was pulling on algae to try to clean some of it up, I broke my montipora once again. I now have 9 pieces of Monti in the tank... Yeah, this is going to be an SPS tank if I like it or not lol.

Tony

Staff member
Since the last update, I'm still fighting the hair algae issue. Because of this, I took a trip to the store to pick up another Lawnmower Blenny. They are known for eating this stuff, and my tank is established enough to support him. So off I went.

Upon getting to this store and walking in, I was in heaven. They are not so much into fish, but more into coral. More specifically, hard coral. after quite a few questions about hair algae and what could control it, they showed me the one Blenny that they had. It was pretty large so I said I would take it. He then said I needed a tang. I told him I already had one, and he suggested a Foxface Rabbitfish. He had a One Spot Foxface, so I said to bag him up.

Then I made the mistake of looking at the corals again. I found a Hammerhead coral that I just loved, so I bought it. Then, I found some pulsing Xenia and bagged that up as well.

All in all, I went there for a $19 fish and left with $100 worth of stuff lmao. That is the way it goes in this hobby. But the hammer is looking good, the Xenia closed up for some reason, the Blenny is doing great, and my Tang is bullying the Foxface. See, the tank has razors on it's tail fin, but the entire dorsal fin of the Foxface is poisonous, so it's a stand off lmao. But, the Foxface has been hiding most of the time. He should take a few days to acclimate to his new home and even though he is picking on him now, him and my Tang will more than likely pair up after a while.

Here is hoping this will help the algae issue. Oh yeah, the Foxface also eats the algae. Only reason I got him.

Top Bottom