• F4U Corsair

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Edge 540 25

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tony

Staff member
As you guys know, I'm getting more and more into planes. I didnt' used to like them, but they are growing on me. And they are growing on me fast. But, if I do this, I have to do something scale. But, I'm stuck as to what I want to do.

One issue I have is that I have never built any kind of 3D kit (Extra, Edge...) so I don't know how well it would be if I just jumped into a kit, and tried to put it together. I can get these kits, with about 60" wing for just over a bill. However, I'm looking at an Edge 540T that is electric powered, and is quite fast, for about $160. The Edge is an ARF, and comes pre built. The tail feathers have an airfoil shape to them, not just a flat skin like is on the trainer.

I have also been looking at Bipe's. I love bipes, and always have. When I used to go to the airshows, those were the ones that I loved to watch. I have been looking at a couple of those as well, but they are not as big as I would like. The Ultimate Bipe is one that I'm really looking at.

The next thing that I'm looking at is WWII war birds. The P-51, the F4U Corsair, and planes like that. If I do one of these, it will most likely be the F4U. The kit that I"m looking at has 3 piece scale flaps, the ability to put retracts on not only the main gear, but the tail gear as well. And again, this is a kit, so I would have to build it. But then again, I'm just getting back into this after a long time off from building like this.

So, what I'm thinking is to just get a ARF and see how they are put together. I'm really leaning towards the Edge 540T. I don't really like the colors, but it's a great looking plane if you can get past the colors. And I can always rip the covering off of it, and do it again. The reviews on it are outstanding, and the videos prove just what this plane can do. With the electric power, it's clean and quiet.

The Extra 300s that I'm looking at is a 64" wing, .60 size kit. Yes, it's a kit. The thing that I don't like about this is the wings. From what I can see, they are one piece. So, at over 5 feet in width, it would be a little hard to get into my car (Camaro). But, it's a nitro plane. The engine for this plane is right at a bill. About the same as the electric setup for the 50" Edge. Because this is a kit, I make the decision on what colors to do it. But then again, it's a kit, and it's been 20 years since I did something like this. I know that I want a good kit, and I want a straight and true kit.

So, my question to you is, what would you like to see me purchase? Even though this thread will be up for a while, I will be making the purchase quite quickly. I think you guys would like the kit builds, as long as I don't do what I did to the Telemaster, and set it on a shelf lol.

Let me know what you would like to see. I'm getting something, and there is a 90% chance it will be a 3D plane, and not a scale war bird.

Edge 540 NitroPlanes.jpg

Ultimate Bipe.jpg

F4U Corsair.jpg

Extra 300s.jpg

Edge 540T.jpg

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Re: Need Your Input On This...

Well you already know what I think. Warbirds are my thing! Lol I found a couple of really nice kit from ESM. Pricey? A little. But you get what you pay for. Might be worth waiting till winter, saving up some bucks, and getting a really nice Christmass present! I have been waiting on my F7F project for close to a year now. I still have to put in 3/4 hundred bucks to finish her. Remember all good things come to he who waits!

Tony

Staff member

Here are the pictures of the planes in question. The Edge 540t and the F4U corsair, will look exactly as pictured. But, the Bipe and the 300 are an open canvas. Maybe this will help you. The edge has a 50" wing, the 300 has a 64" wing, the bipe has a 43" wing, and the F4U has a 62" wing. Help me out here guys. Nitro vs electric is not really an issue since it's almost the same cost. Although I do like the fact that I can plug in the battery and walk outside. But, I could also get my box and start the plane in the garage. Not sure how I will get it over the fence though lmao. Let me know what you think.

Edge 540T.jpg

Extra 300s.jpg

F4U Corsair.jpg

Ultimate Bipe.jpg

Tony

Staff member

Well you already know what I think. Warbirds are my thing! Lol I found a couple of really nice kit from ESM. Pricey? A little. But you get what you pay for. Might be worth waiting till winter, saving up some bucks, and getting a really nice Christmass present! I have been waiting on my F7F project for close to a year now. I still have to put in 3/4 hundred bucks to finish her. Remember all good things come to he who waits!

Yeah, but I'm very impatient lmao. And I like the idea of being able to do more than just fly around. The fact that you can hover everything I have listed EXCEPT the F4U almost takes it out. The F4U you can fly around, and do very mild 3D with it. I will say this, it looks great, and with those 3 piece flaps, it's just killer. But, the retracts for this plane are over a bill because they rotate 100* when they go up, and the tail retract is about 30. it is nitro powered, so there is another couple hundred to get that setup.

I'm really thinking that for right now I need to get something that will advance my skills. the F4U although fun and looks great, just flies. Maybe show passes, maybe a slight knife edge and inverted, that is about where it ends. I'm really thinking that I need something to start off with that can do anything. I can fly planes, but there is so much more that I need to learn.

I think the wife is going to get in touch with one of the people from her work. he flies and I'm going to find out where he flies. that way, I can take my camera out to the field, and capture some really great video. And if I get one of my birds, I will see about letting one of the better pilots taking the sticks and putting it through it's paces. The problem is, what one do I want lmao. I hate decisions. I just need to wind the lottery, and buy tower hobbies hahahahaha

Tony

Staff member

I have added a new plane to the mix just for the fun of it. It's by far the cheapest kit there is at only $60, but it's only 45" wing, And for electric power, it's hella heavy. It's actually made for nitro. I do like the colors on it, but I would have to change some of the decals. This is not a kit, it's an ARF so there would be very little building on this one as well.

Edge 540 NitroPlanes.jpg

Tony

Staff member

Wow, 32 views, and only two votes. Point well taken.

RCD

Glencairn Drone

I voted Corsair!!! Get it!!! Choise 2 would be the Biplane

Tony

Staff member

The F4U huh... Man that is a lot of money hahaha. I have included another picture of this plane with the flaps down. holy crap just the thought of 6 standard size servos is staggering lmao.

topa0101b.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Okay, since I put my helis up for sale on ebay, I'm putting this back up. The F4U will probably not happen, mainly because I really want a 3D plane. I want something that can do whatever I want it to do. The F4U can not do hovers, snap rolls, or anything else like that without ripping the wings off lol. So keep that in mind. It will more than likely be the second kit though.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I know where you can get good servos for $13.00 a piece. And my local hobby store has $10.00 servos that I bought for my flaps on my 51.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
The 2 servos I bought locally were for the flaps on my 51. They are not hi torqu. The servos I bought for the f7f were the $13.00 servos I needed at least 100 oz. In. Servos these are 236 oz. In. Servos. The part # is HD-151MG. The $10.00 one are at home so I can't get the specks and part # on them.

Tony

Staff member
I am happy to announce that this will now happen. The 600 just sold for more than I thought it would. I'm thinking nitro for sure now... This is going to be so awesome...

I voted for the Bipe , love to own one myself one day and I think I did mention to Tony a while back that should be one of his next projects to build a Bi-Plane

RCD

Glencairn Drone
Well the voters decided that you should get the F4U.....So....get the F4u. lol, that plane is just so cool!

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I'm glad your in a better frame of mind! Lol the decision is yours lol get the one you want most. Although I hope it's the fu4.

Tony

Staff member
The more I think about it, the more I realize that the F4U is out of my skill range. There is just no way I can build that plane, and get it right. I'm really wanting to get into nitro, but electric is so much easier. IDK, I will get it figured out one of these days. It may be next year, but I will get it figured out.

Top Bottom