What Next?

Smoggie

The SK720 black edition truly is the best FBL controller in the business, not that I've ever used one but they do have that 'Rolls Royce' reputation.

The GPS /altimeter integration sets them aside from most others, plus the 'pinpoint' sensors (which were developed for aerospace applications) rather than the mobile phone based sensors used on most other FBL.

Heliman450

The SK720 black edition truly is the best FBL controller in the business, not that I've ever used one but they do have that 'Rolls Royce' reputation.

The GPS /altimeter integration sets them aside from most others, plus the 'pinpoint' sensors (which were developed for aerospace applications) rather than the mobile phone based sensors used on most other FBL.

You've convinced me. I'll see about ordering one up and putting it to one side ready for the big day.

Heliman450

Hi all,

As you may have noticed in another thread of mine ( Align Model Numbering - Page 2 if not ) the old knees have been quivering a bit on my next step. Why? Here goes.....

The jump to Goblin 770 exposes me to accepting a major financial risk if I stuff it due to my current lack of flying skills. Even though I can stand the financial knock as the complete heli is unlikely to be totalled, only the basic kit plus possibly servo(s), I don't see the sense in going too far ahead right now. In my last thread here, Steve was heavily in favour of the SK720 Black Edition as the 'Rolls Royce' of gyros. If my interpretation of my research on this is correct, I will lose the Ex-Bus features I currently have with my Spirit Pro/Jeti DC-14, so when the time comes, I need some more research on this.

Where am I right now on the next step? I'm doing my research for buying a 'spare' heli to enable me to keep flying should my T-Rex 550 go out of service for some reason. This isn't as simple as it at first seems as there are lots of subtle differences to consider. The main one is although the Internet gives us the option to buy from the world, the items must pass through customs and, as such, carry a financial penalty. No problem with that, of course it has its place in the scheme of things.

On the face of it, the easiest solution is to simply buy a second T-Rex 550, but when I look into the actual prices, it isn't too much more to get a T-Rex 700, which uses the same batteries as my 550 (thanks to Steve for the heads-up). This is a major consideration to take account of.

So my latest thinking is a T-Rex 700. Back to my research on which one and where from.

Great fun this part :biggrin1:

Smoggie

The brand new Trex 700X looks really nice, I'm quite tempted to try one myself. Then I remind myself that I've already got more big helis than I can fly, so do I really need another:scratchchin:

Heliman450

The brand new Trex 700X looks really nice, I'm quite tempted to try one myself. Then I remind myself that I've already got more big helis than I can fly, so do I really need another:scratchchin:

Stick a couple into a box and send 'em over if you can't find the time to fly them, I'll stand the customs duty :chickendance:

This looks like the one for me RC Helistuff Switzerland - T-REX 700L

I suppose this is old stock, not a 700X as you mentioned.

I ALMOST bought then Goblin 700 KSE edition but to get it airborne was more than what I was paying for the heli. I decided to sell the last of my 450's and go with a TRex 700.

I know where one is right now professionally built for 1k. It will only need a FBL

This guy had 2 and I bought one of them

Smoggie

I suppose this is old stock, not a 700X as you mentioned.

Yeah, that's the old 'L' model. The price looks pretty good but they might struggle to get hold of it as it's out of stock in most places.

There is nothing wrong with the 'L' model. The 'X' model is not all new but it is quite a bit different, it's got new narrower frame design, better ESC, new servos, different motor, new non-DFC head and they have shaved off a fair bit of weight.

- - - Updated - - -

this is the new 'X' model, from the same dealer: RC Helistuff Switzerland - T-REX 700X Dominator Combo

Heliman450

I'd have to agree with Steve, get ya the new one! It really looks to be a nice one!

Rodney, Steve,

Your feedback is most appreciated. I too went back to the website and identified the 700X (1539CHF) and indeed, it's 'only' 720CHF more than the 550 that I was looking at first. However, the website also has an 800E, which works out at 610CHF more. This just shows the dilemma we're all faced with. I can afford the 700X, but I don't know exactly which is the most recent or 'value for money', that's what makes our Forum so important. To help all of us, I'd appreciate your comments on the 800E as an option.

For my current situation, I'll be getting the 700X. The Align helis really are excellent to give us a top level, affordable package until we're skilled enough to keep a more custom-built heli in the air.

Smoggie

Phil,
I've not much experience of the Trex 800e other than seeing one that was used as professional camera carrying survey ship (they are popular for that job). Basically the current 800e is a stretched version of the 'old' 700L. Most of the parts are shared with the 700. To the best of my knowledge the only differences are a longer (and bigger diameter) tail boom, a slightly lower kV and bigger motor (same motor as used in the 700X), 160A ESC (vs 120A on the stock 700L) and of course bigger blades.

I’ve not flown the 800e but it’s probably quite similar to the way my goblin 770 flies. The bigger blades give it a lighter disk loading which means you fly at significantly lower headspeed. Overall the heli will feel lighter and more ‘floaty’ in the air. The lighter disk loading and low RPM can give you longer flight times but the heli will not feel quite as ‘snappy’ in response as the 700.

Personally I’d go for the 700X because it has some good upgrades that haven’t yet made it to the 800e. Most likely the 800e will soon get the same upgraded parts as the 700X but they might wait until they clear out old stock first.

Heliman450

Cheers Steve, my mind's made up now, it's the 700X for me. It looks good and will be my first brand new larger class heli.

I also noticed how the Align website lists the models, which helps for the future. Top to bottom the latest models are first, followed by the older ones. However, the webshop I was viewing does it the opposite way for obvious reasons when they still have the older models in stock.

Next job is the timing as I don't want to launch into building it until my 550 is back into full service.

Bye now!

Heliman450

My mind's made up now, I'm staying with Align for a bit longer. Probably until middle of next year at least when I can bring the 700X into service. After that, I'm going to look again into what's around but I doubt that I'll jump too far ahead, maybe to a Goblin or if I can manage to wait longer, then look into the Velos-Rotors' 880 or whatever they've developed in the meantime.

I think my turbine-driven heli will probably just remain a dream for the foreseeable future :sad2:

Thanks to all for their input and I hope sharing my thoughts will help those who looked in to view what was going on :thumbsup:

- - - Updated - - -

I ALMOST bought then Goblin 700 KSE edition but to get it airborne was more than what I was paying for the heli. I decided to sell the last of my 450's and go with a TRex 700.

I know where one is right now professionally built for 1k. It will only need a FBL

This guy had 2 and I bought one of them

Hi PLANETGLOW! Thanks for the tip. If I lived in the U.S., I'm sure that I'd go for it. However, living over here in Switzerland, I'm sure that I'd have been well and truly hit by the customs on the import duty. There was a used T-Rex 700 in my local hobby shop with 30 flights declared on it. I'd trust those guys as it belonged to one of the shop's owners. I got my second hand 550 from them, too and it's been a great learning platform for me. They sold the 700 before I'd made up my mind so now I'm on the road for a new one.

Thanks again and cheers!

Smoggie

The 700X really is very nice looking heli and as you say, if you are looking for an all in package Align is unbeatable at the price.

Many of the online dealers have 'Black Friday' and/or Christmas sales, so if you are in no hurry that could be a time to make the purchase. I picked my Goblin 770 in one of those sales and got 15% off, which was a nice saving.

Heliman450

The 700X really is very nice looking heli and as you say, if you are looking for an all in package Align is unbeatable at the price.

Many of the online dealers have 'Black Friday' and/or Christmas sales, so if you are in no hurry that could be a time to make the purchase. I picked my Goblin 770 in one of those sales and got 15% off, which was a nice saving.

I prefer to be able to visit the person selling me something. The on-line shop I'm targeting at the moment is open on Friday/Saturday, so when I'm ready I'd rather go there and collect it, have a good look round etc. etc. I'm sure there will be something else that tempts me as well.

Over here, the discounts only go on the older products, so one must decide whether or not that's what suits.

Bye now!

Smoggie

I'd have to travel hundreds of miles to find a dealer that had anything decent in stock, so it's 'online' or give up the hobby.

Heliman450

I'd have to travel hundreds of miles to find a dealer that had anything decent in stock, so it's 'online' or give up the hobby.

That works fine when the postage/packing is 'in-land' with no import penalties. I suppose that living in the less densely populated, higher latitudes does have its drawbacks :biggrin1:

Seriously, it looks like the grown-up side of the hobby here in Switzerland works mainly on standard helis or custom-made 'profi' versions and nobody queries the cost (like most things here). I got some really strange looks when I bought the 600 stuff to upgrade the 550 tail.

Heliman450

Guess what?

The 700X arrived at my local hobby store already and is ready for me to collect tomorrow morning, WOW! It's nice to have something delivered earlier than anticipated. I need to get moving on the other things ahead on the list :biggrin1:

Top Bottom