What Next?

Heliman450

Hi all,

There comes a point when one thinks "What shall I buy next? Do I change direction or stick with what I'm doing?" I'm at that point and will appreciate any feedback that helps me through this dilemma.

1. I prefer bigger helis (a real turbine monster would be nice) rather than small ones. My flying skills aren't up to this challenge. Imagine crashing a $10K+ heli just because of my lack of thumb coordination :homer:

2. I fell in love with this beauty the other day Modellsport.ch | VELOS ROTORS | online kaufen an 880 sized beauty. This is also not a beginner's heli, but I'm not quite a beginner

3. The boring option would be a second, identical T-Rex 550 (or similar) that will be able to use the same 6-Cell batteries. Buy two more batteries and then I've got three for each or a really good day out with one heli

4. There's a very nice looking drone in my local hobby store RC Quadrocopter Yuneec Typhoon H Pro RealSense RTF - Einsteiger/Fortgeschritten - Scamora Webshop but this is a real change in direction for me. What to do with it? I've got a few ides but all (constructive) suggestions welcome

5. Buy a heli in the 700 range and then it gives me a second heli option, which is still well within my current flying skills

Over to you guys/gals.

I was going to buy the T-Rex 800 Trekker but I don't want to go over 6S since I have an abundance of them. I too like the larger helis but always consider rebuild and maintenance costs.

Heliman450

I was going to buy the T-Rex 800 Trekker but I don't want to go over 6S since I have an abundance of them. I too like the larger helis but always consider rebuild and maintenance costs.

This was part of my thinking, too. Although the price of the batteries isn't the overriding thing in my case. However, I think that it's a major part of someone's decision process for getting into the hobby. I think that to spend enough time in the beginning one needs at least four batteries of whatever size is appropriate and outside the cost of crashes is a good gauge of whether the hobby is too expensive. Better to just buy a simulator and test out your staying power first :biggrin1:

Smoggie

700 and 800 helis use two 6s batteries wired in series. These are the exact same 6S 5000mAh batteries that you would use in your 550. So if you have lots of them you are all set, no need to buy any batteries.

As for maintenance costs.. You might not believe me, but I've hardly had to spend a penny on any of my 700 plus helis in years. Anything i have spent has been on upgrades rather than essential maintenance. They are built much better and are 'beefier' plus everything spins slower so they are very reliable. The heli that have cost me most in maintenance in recent years is my smallest heli, the Blade 180, and it's flown the least by far!

Last edited:

Heliman450

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback, it really helps.

When I first started thinking of helicopters as my hobby I/we were very keen amateur photographers and I had the idea to do some aerial photography, too. However, I soon realised that my first attempts in my new hobby were going to take longer than I thought to realise for many reasons.

In the meantime, drones have become the preferred option as a platform for taking such video/photos. I would never consider putting a camera into a helicopter for any kind of photography these days, hence, thinking about a drone in amongst my options. The standard and size of the photo/video equipment has also moved into a different league. A friend in our club has a monstrous drone that he bought second hand and he hangs a normal, digital Nikon camera on it. What he can produce is very limited. Follow the link in item #4 of thread #1 and watch the video of what the drone can do, it's amazing! They recently updated the website after my enquiries pointing out that there wasn't any information about the advantages of the 'Pro' version over the more basic one.

Steve, I also considered the point about the series wiring of the 6S batteries in amongst my thoughts on changing the connectors over as covered in our earlier exchanges elsewhere. I'm seriously considering the 880 as my option of choice so your thoughts on that would be most appreciated.

trainrider06

Phil unless you have some pretty deep pockets and or some good flying skills like Steve does I wouldn't recommend getting a big ol heli like an 800 size. Pounding one of those into the ground will be majorly expensive.
Not only the expense, but those sizes are very very dangerous if one gets away from you. I hear ya on the turbine heli! That is cool as cool goes for the R/C heli hobby! :)))
Maybe you should get another 550 size to have as a back up heli??

Heliman450

Phil unless you have some pretty deep pockets and or some good flying skills like Steve does I wouldn't recommend getting a big ol heli like an 800 size. Pounding one of those into the ground will be majorly expensive.
Not only the expense, but those sizes are very very dangerous if one gets away from you. I hear ya on the turbine heli! That is cool as cool goes for the R/C heli hobby! :)))
Maybe you should get another 550 size to have as a back up heli??

Ok, Ok, so the sound of reason comes from 'Papa' Rodney :goodevil: full marks for having my best interests at heart.

This is the page I visit with the sensible options Modellsport.ch | SAB Goblin | online kaufen , lots of good stuff there. Everything on this page fits the bill at the top end of my 'boring' option below.

I admitted the lack of courage to risk a crash at $10K+, around 5K CHF would only dent my pride if I crashed the 880. Danger to me or others? I'm passed that stage now and our flying field is well placed not to endanger others. The only visitors up there are seasoned flyers and the overriding factor there would be my own embarrassment. My T-Rex only escaped from me once because I wasn't running enough negative pitch to bring it down when it got picked up by the wind, I currently run more than enough.

I've missed my trips to the field since my 550 bit the dust (grass actually) and I think another option is essential. Thanks for helping me think it through, I'll let you know what my decision is soon.

Bye now!

trainrider06

I know I hate to be a voice of reason, I actually wanted to say go for it Phil! Lol
But I'm trying to think like a sensible AMA member and all that mumbo jumbo!
You get what you desire my friend, what makes you happy! :)
Myself at this stage if I obtained one of those monsters would probably wet my britches in joy and fear! Lol
Those goblins are sexy heli's huh? :)
I don't think you mentioned the brand heli you were considering Phil or did I miss that? Are you thinking a scale beast, or something along the lines of one of the Goblin family? Or another brand like Align?
Have you seen the newest Goblin?
And of course I cannot remember the dang name....oh yes it's called the "Comet" it is waaaay sexy, with some really super cool innovations on it....

Heliman450

Hey Rodney! We all need that little bit of guidance that comes from friends (plenty here) especially with such an addictive hobby with so much cool stuff out there :biggrin1:

This was what I had in mind Modellsport.ch | SAB Urukay 2 Blades / blau | online kaufen but Hugo says not many available so order it quickly. I would also like the three-bladed version but he doesn't have any right now. I just think the three blades look really good and give an air of superiority to the bird, although that's all in the mind of course.

I've come to accept that a turbine-powered scale monster is something for the distant future (don't want to say 'if ever') until my skills are much improved. I just don't want to accept that chance of crashing it yet. Currently, turbine powered models aren't allowed in our club for regular use and I think they would also say no to guests bringing them to events, too. I think the Velos-Rotors' 880 is absolutely right out there on my current limit, not financially, but the risk factor of crashing it due to my own ineptitude. Maybe I just couldn't forgive myself for damaging such a beautiful machine. Two motors - WOW! That gearbox is a mechanical dream, too!

I've learned my limits with the 550 and only crashed due to the Ex-Bus cable problem featured in my rebuild thread. A failure on my own part, which could have been avoided. It cost me about $100 extra over and above my upgrade to DFC, which cost less thanks to Steve's offer on his used rotor head.

My local hobby store had a used T-Rex 700 DFC with about 30 flights under its belt (rotor?) but they've just sold it and I would have needed another Rx. and FBL system. I was thinking the Bavarian Demon route on that, so it would feature with the Urukay. I like the challenge of the new and different otherwise you don't learn new things in life :biggrin1:

Keep the input and suggestions coming :hugging:

trainrider06

Oh my goodness! That 2 motor jobber is an engineering feat! WOW! That looks awesome! No wonder you were thinking about that one! I could stare at that for hours!
That Goblin is sweet also! A fine fine looking heli!
Yeah the turbine heli would be something huh? My God the maintance on one of those is probably like a real one! One would have to have a very good and disiplined pre flight, post flight regimen with something like that! The cost of one of those, and just the risk of burning it to the ground on the ground would be a nightmare to have come true if that were to occur! I would probably drive myself right to the nearest asylum with fret and worry!

My club is the same no turbines, or jet aircraft at my field. In the summer as dry as it gets, a monster grass fire would surely ensue!
Ok order up that monster 2 motor 4 servo job! I'm sold on it! :wink:

Smoggie

Phil,
I'll be the devil on your shoulder to counter Rodney's voice of reason.... You only live once, so my view is that if you can afford it then why not. The Velos would be trully awesome but there again there are many really nice helis out there. You have a safe place to fly and you are sensible and dont take risks. If you did crash then it would be expensive but as long as you accept that possibility that shouldn't put you off.

As for FBL controllers. The Demon 3SX is good but having used both I prefer the Spirit Pro. The Demon used to be the only choice if you wanted self leveling stabilisation but these days it's been caught and passed by a few other controllers. I think there is a new version about to be released but it didn't seem to have any groundbreaking new features that would set it aside. If you wanted the 'money no object' most feature rich FBL controller then it would probably be the Skookum SK720 Black edition. It's the Rolls Royce of FBL controllers it's got superior 'Pinpoint' sensors and has the ability for GPS input if you ever wanted to implement position/altitude hold, return to home etc. this provides the ultimate 'rescue' system.

As for turbines.. they are awesome too but the downside is that you spend most of your time doing pre flight preparations and checks and not much time actually flying. Also you need an awful lot of field support hardware to lug around. So it depends on what you enjoy most, the machine itself or actually flying the heli.

Heliman450

You devil, you! I too have the 'you only live once' approach but I still have a few miles on the clock to go so there's still plenty of time to do the turbine thing a bit later on :party:

I have to say that my love for all things mechanical is closer to my heart than flying (and crashing - maybe). My idea of heaven is a bigger workshop and a constant stream of helis to build and re-build :huepfenicon111:

Like Rodney, I could see myself just looking at the 880 with her 'clothes off' drinking in that mechanical wonder beneath. Another advantage with it is that they claim the tail can be easily removed to fit into any compact vehicle. That means it would probably fit into my battery powered zimmer frame in another 10 years or so :lmao:

See you later! I'm off to check out the swashplate/link rod issue on my T-Rex.

Heliman450

I know I hate to be a voice of reason, I actually wanted to say go for it Phil! Lol
But I'm trying to think like a sensible AMA member and all that mumbo jumbo!
You get what you desire my friend, what makes you happy! :)
Myself at this stage if I obtained one of those monsters would probably wet my britches in joy and fear! Lol
Those goblins are sexy heli's huh? :)
I don't think you mentioned the brand heli you were considering Phil or did I miss that? Are you thinking a scale beast, or something along the lines of one of the Goblin family? Or another brand like Align?
Have you seen the newest Goblin?
And of course I cannot remember the dang name....oh yes it's called the "Comet" it is waaaay sexy, with some really super cool innovations on it....

So I had a look around for the new Comet you mentioned and I can't find it apart from a Forum in Germany where they're discussing it. There's a photo but it isn't clear that it's of the new heli as it doesn't match someone's description of it having the motor behind the main shaft and the ESC in front of it.

Where did you see it?

Heliman450

I went to Hugo's website and ran through one possible combination. I'd appreciate feedback on the choice of components in the package.

Goblin 700 11-Sep-16.jpg

Smoggie

Looks good Phil, only thing i'd change is the Demon 3SX. Nothing wrong with the 3SX they are decent enough units, but have fallen behind the competition somewhat and they are in the process of being replaced by a new model. The Spirit pro is still a good bet, or for a 700 the new iKon2/Brian2 in it's 'HD' guise with beefed up power input bus: iKON2 HD Flybarless System with Integrated Bluetooth Module

Heliman450

Looks good Phil, only thing i'd change is the Demon 3SX. Nothing wrong with the 3SX they are decent enough units, but have fallen behind the competition somewhat and they are in the process of being replaced by a new model. The Spirit pro is still a good bet, or for a 700 the new iKon2/Brian2 in it's 'HD' guise with beefed up power input bus: iKON2 HD Flybarless System with Integrated Bluetooth Module

I made the choices more for speed and to see the overall price. I could even shop around/research on the package anyway. Of course, if I get everything from him then I can go back to one place with any queries. I particularly picked the BD for its price. I must say that I was quite taken with the screenshots in an E-Book I bought. It looks much better than the Spirit Pro. Your thoughts?

Top Bottom