What Next?

Heliman450

Sorry Steve, I meant screenshots from the software, not the unit itself. It seemed a better organised page to work with. I find the Spirit Pro text very small and the sliders are awkward. Just entering a value in a box would be better.

The book is by John Salt (Swash Setup, Levelling, FBL Tuning rev 5.1) very useful although not quite as detailed as I really wanted.

Smoggie

I only set up one Demon 3SX a couple of years ago for a flying buddy. It was reasonably straightforward but I dont think any easier than the Spirit, especially the new version of the Spirit software which is a lot easier. It did fly well right from the maiden flight. The only problem he had with it is that the power supply to the sat receivers seemed flakey and he kept getting power glitches due to the sats browning out. We tried everything and couldn't fix it. This seems like a very common problem with the Demon from what I've read, but not something you need to worry about if using Jeti.

As a rule general the easiest FBL to set up is the one you have experience of.

Last edited:

Heliman450

Thanks for that. I like new stuff and will go with whatever seems to be the best technical choice at the time rather than another Spirit Pro just because I already have one. Mastering them is the fun of the hobby.

So, off to watch the tennis final hopefully our (Swiss) guy will win this time.

Bye all!

Heliman450

I've had the Ikon and Ikon2, I'd just go with the Ikon, basically the same thing

It's a while back now but I tried to get an Ikon (aluminium version) and gave up after 10 weeks waiting for them to get the things in stock. Don't recall the supplier without looking back, it was from the U.S. but they were trying to get rid of the plastic ones with a big reduction.

The author of the book below reckons that a metal body or combination of metal and plastic screens high frequency noise from the electronics and recommends fitting a metal plate under the plastic gyro using a very thin adhesive mount to the gyro and the foam between the plate and the heli. Can't comment on its effectiveness as my experience is very limited, I suspect I'm not alone on that one.

My Spirit Pro sits on a very thin adhesive mount with no foam and seems fine but it is aluminium bodied.

Last edited:

Heliman450

Hi Rodney, I had a shock at first as the only thing I could see was the guy demonstrating it :biggrin1:

It is undoubtedly a sexy machine. However, it's one of those speed machine things and that's definitely where I'm not going in future. Rather a very powerful 880 doing 'normal' stuff, I think.

I did some calculations based on complete packages and all work for me with something left over for the future. I need to discuss it with 'she who must be obeyed' first to get a green light on the project and of course timing, as I just don't have time to do everything at once although I could imagine disappearing into my workshop and coming out sometime around Xmas :chickendance:

Smoggie

'devil on your shoulder' calling...
Scorpion 4525-520 x2
Castle Edge 160HV's x2
Hyperion 70C 5000's 6s x4

Last edited by a moderator:

Heliman450

A devil you most certainly are! :evil: I thought that it had rotor blades but it seems it runs with boomerang power :lmao:

Still a bit undecided what to do first. It doesn't really matter too much but I don't want to end up being swamped with things to do. I want to see my T-Rex back in the air sporting its 'new' DFC head.

trainrider06

Man that's a sexy heli! Leave it up to Steve to throw more tempting video's and cool stuff for us all to blow money on!
That was an awesome giant auto rotate too!

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Good lord that heli is a beast. I think it's bigger then me. I don't even think I can afford the cost of the batteries.

Heliman450

Hi all,

I've made up my mind what will be next. The winner is a Goblin 700. I want to get my T-Rex 550 flying again before going ahead with the purchase and probably will make it a 'winter' project and go ahead in a month or so with the purchase.

Although I would very much like the Velos-Rotors 880, I think that it's a bit too much for me just now. Let's see next year sometime how things are going.

Any feedback on the Goblin and its add-ons as preparation will be much appreciated.

Smoggie

The Goblin 700 is a fine heli, i'm sure you will love it. I have the 630 and the 770 which are basically the same heli, they share the vast majority of parts with the 700, so i can probably help if you have any questions. there really arent any essential add-ons or upgrades, the standard spec is excellent as it comes out of the box. The components that you had picked out looked very good.

Last edited:

trainrider06

Ahh man Phil! I am bummed I wanted to see real time pix of that twin motored beast as she was being built! Durnit!!!! :) the Goblin is a ok choice I guess.....Jeeze! LOL Who am I kidding I would froth over a Goblin! :wink:

Heliman450

Ahh man Phil! I am bummed I wanted to see real time pix of that twin motored beast as she was being built! Durnit!!!! :) the Goblin is a ok choice I guess.....Jeeze! LOL Who am I kidding I would froth over a Goblin! :wink:

Stick with me and you'll probably get your wish on that :chickendance:

I started this hobby years ago, but it's only since my early retirement that I've really got a feel for how it fits in with my new, 'normal' life. I just can't fit in everything I want to do immediately, although becoming a heli-recluse might fit me, it doesn't fit those around me and they're also important to me.

My SoloShot 3 isn't expected before Xmas in my mind as they are going to supply their earliest pre-orders first. Steve's mate put his in during March this year so I'm looking forward to filming maiden flights with it so who knows, maybe the 880 will be earlier next year than I'm currently thinking. The hobby moves very fast and Velos-Rotors are saying that they're working on developing their product line, let's see, maybe they'll have a 990! Wow!

Bye for now.

Heliman450

Hi guys, I had a bit of time to spare so started doing some research beginning with the gyros that Steve mentioned earlier on. The link below takes me to the Swiss-based supplier for the Skookum Black edition. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with my Jeti Tx. as there's no Rx. option. The same goes for the iKon(2). Back to the drawing board on that one.

Skookum 6-Axis Gyro SK720 Black Edition (SK-720BE) - Kreisel / Gyro - eflight.ch

Looks like a great gyro with plenty of interesting stuff to go along with it as Steve said. I downloaded a manual anyway just to have something to read when I get chance. Here's the homepage Skookum Robotics

Smoggie

Phil,

The Skookum (or iKon) would work fine with a Jeti receiver.

From the Skookum specification:
Supports many input options: Spektrum/JR remote (satellite) receivers (DSM2 and DSMX), Futaba S-Bus, JR DMSS, JR xBus, UDI, Futaba PPM, Jeti PPM, Graupner SUMD, and traditional receivers.
SK-720 Black Edition « Skookum Robotics

The iKon2 spec also mentions PPM, so would work with single wire output from jeti I'm pretty sure.

Alternatively you could use conventional multi channel output between Rx and FBL with any receiver. Whet the Skookum and iKon might not yet have enables id 'integration' which allows the FBL to be programmed from the Jeti Tx like you can with the Spirit. That's not a big deal though, you can program them via USB or bluetooth... FWIW I dont think the Demon has integration with Jeti either, the only FBL that i know of that have it are the Spirit and the Spartan (though there could be others i dont know about).

Last edited:

Heliman450

Cheers Steve, so the door isn't closed on them. I'll look into exactly where the compatibility lies when I make the enquiries. Maybe there are clever ways to achieve all options, however, I'd prefer to stay with the Spirit Pro if I'm losing out on some 'Rolls Royce' features. All part of the fun to do the research and gather more knowledge.

P.S. I looked for the receiver options in the technical details listed in the Swiss supplier's website and it's not quite so clearly listed as the Skookum one but it is there. It's only 60 CHF more expensive than the Demon, so it's looking good to me :biggrin1:

Last edited:
Top Bottom