What kind of web browser do you use?

Derek

I've recently been having some troubles with the Internet Explorer that I've used for quite some time now. It seems that on various sites, RCH included, my IE7 shuts down and restarts when I click on videos. It's rather frustrating. Since these troubles with IE7, I've started to use "Torch" and it seems to perform flawlessly.

What kind of web browsers do you use? I'm curious what else is out there.

Tony

Staff member
I test this site with IE9, firefox, chrome and safari. But mostly use IE9. Never even heard of Torch...

Derek

I had never heard of Torch, either. It came as an "add-on" with a program that I downloaded. I've been using Torch for about the past 3-4 weeks and it seems to do everything that I click on without hesitation, which is more than I can say for the IE that I was using. My parents have IE8 on their computer and I just don't care for how it looks and the general layout, so I kept IE7...and now I'm using Torch with much success.

- - - Updated - - -

I had never heard of Torch, either. It came as an "add-on" with a program that I downloaded. I've been using Torch for about the past 3-4 weeks and it seems to do everything that I click on without hesitation, which is more than I can say for the IE that I was using. My parents have IE8 on their computer and I just don't care for how it looks and the general layout, so I kept IE7...and now I'm using Torch with much success.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I'm using safari and ie8 no problems! Might be 9 not sure. Both my desktop and Lappy use it. My I pad and I phone is safari.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm using safari and ie8 no problems! Might be 9 not sure. Both my desktop and Lappy use it. My I pad and I phone is safari.

Derek

I've not heard of Safari, lol. I'll look into it.

Does it have nice features such as a toolbar and appealing functions?

- - - Updated - - -

I've not heard of Safari, lol. I'll look into it.

Does it have nice features such as a toolbar and appealing functions?

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
It's apple, comes on apple products. I have a copy in my Lappy but I don't use it there. . It just downloaded when I installed I tunes a few years ago. When I got my new desktop last year I stoped the safari download when I installed I tunes on it. So that's is. Lol.

- - - Updated - - -

It's apple, comes on apple products. I have a copy in my Lappy but I don't use it there. . It just downloaded when I installed I tunes a few years ago. When I got my new desktop last year I stoped the safari download when I installed I tunes on it. So that's is. Lol.

RandyDSok

I'm not one to argue in the various browser wars... I've always advocated that a user use the one they prefer. I do however want to mention that by not using the latest version of a browser, you are opening yourself up to possible infections and other security issues. With Internet Explorer on a Windows system... there is another issue, it is highly intergrated into the Operating System and an issue that is starting to show in the browser can soon also start to affect the OS as well.

I'd recommend fixing IE first and then updating it to the latest version. IE8 can be configured to look like IE7, people just don't look for the configuration properties so they don't know about them.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not one to argue in the various browser wars... I've always advocated that a user use the one they prefer. I do however want to mention that by not using the latest version of a browser, you are opening yourself up to possible infections and other security issues. With Internet Explorer on a Windows system... there is another issue, it is highly intergrated into the Operating System and an issue that is starting to show in the browser can soon also start to affect the OS as well.

I'd recommend fixing IE first and then updating it to the latest version. IE8 can be configured to look like IE7, people just don't look for the configuration properties so they don't know about them.

Tony

Staff member
If you are on XP, I would update to IE8 as Randy stated. What he says is true for those that don't know him. He is a computer tech and knows what he is talking about. If you are running Vista, 7, or 8, then upgrade to IE9. I'm honestly not sure what Windows 8 is using since i have never had it but I'm guessing it's still IE9.

callsign4223

Staff member
Also, I wouldn't suggest using safari in Windows, Apple has quite updating and supporting safari for windows.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I wouldn't suggest using safari in Windows, Apple has quite updating and supporting safari for windows.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know about this. I don't use it anyways. Bt every time I fire up my Lappy, the auto updater for my apple products come up with updateds for safari and I tunes. I just choose not to update safari since I don't use it.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know about this. I don't use it anyways. Bt every time I fire up my Lappy, the auto updater for my apple products come up with updateds for safari and I tunes. I just choose not to update safari since I don't use it.

callsign4223

Staff member
The last supported version of Safari for windows is Safari 5

- - - Updated - - -

The last supported version of Safari for windows is Safari 5

Derek

ok...i'm using IE7...it came with the computer when I bought it. I was looking to install IE9 and there was an option for 32 bit and 64 bit. How do I know which "bit" i have?

i'm more and more curious about upgrading IE because "Torch" isn't working now for some reason. It was fine this morning and now...nothing.

murankar

Staff member
Goto my computer, right click it. In the menu select properties, then click it. In the widow that opens it should say there or look at your memory on that window and it is over 3,072 megs then you have a 64 bit system. Now the 64 bit will not install on a 32 bit system but the 32 bit will install on the 64 bit system.

Derek

ok...so I do have a 64 bit system. However, i get a window saying that IE9 can't be installed because a more recent version is already installed.

how can this be when I know that i'm running IE7? I sure do wish I knew more about this kind of stuff, lol.

Derek

ok...did that....apparently it is IE9. I didn't know that, lol.

now..i really wouldn't have a problem using IE9, but when i click on people's videos on this site, i get a window that says "Internet Explorer has stopped worked" and then IE closes down. That's why I started using Torch...but then today for some reason, its not working at all. I'm currently on Google Chrome right now.

murankar

Staff member
Chrome and Firefox are great browsers. I use Firefox on my laptop and chrome on my phone. I use all the others for testing web code.

Top Bottom