What Did You Do Today???

Rob Lancaster

Only in Florida :facepalm:

I don't know... My air rifles have a break over barrel and a nitro piston. ?

Hi D.O.G...
Hey I know what a break barrel is but what is a nitro piston??
My Bro in-law and Nephew have those type of riffles and I don't really know how the pump mechanism works. What's up with that?..

RandyDSok

I'd have thought that would have been obvious Rob since we've been talking air guns.... Nitrogen.

The problem here is that different gasses will have different compression levels that they can reach. I have no idea what pressure the 12g CO2 cartridge the typical air pistol uses has. If you switch to another type of gas, you aren't going to want to over pressurize it beyond what the air gun is rated to hold... or under pressurize it and not get the performance you want to see out of it. After finding out what the pressure requirements are meant to be... then capacity would be the next concern. In other words, how many viable shots you can get out of it at that pressure level.

The quick search and watching of a single video about refilling the CO2 cartridges certainly didn't answer any of the safety questions I just mentioned ( pressure or capacity really ) and they only guessed they were getting about 1/3 to 1/2 of the number of shots... They didn't even mention if they got good groups or not using it. This is why when I last posted about this stuff, that whom ever is looking to do this type of thing ( refilling their own tanks or carts ) that they need to do some additional research. It's also why I mentioned the PCP type air gun/pistols because I knew they were made for refiling so those types of ratings etc should already be well known in that community with a little bit of searching. Don't take a bit of general info by a bunch of yahoo's ( that'd be us since we know only a little bit ) you find on the internet as enough knowledge... do your research, it doesn't take that much extra time or work to do things safely.

There are a worlds of difference between getting an idea of how something works, gaining knowledge of that concept.... and putting it into use and gaining experience with it. At some point after getting a lot of experience, you may even find a little wisdom there somewhere. Or that is the hope...

Fly-n-Low

In other news,,,, in the wee hours of the morning, there were three cops chasing a (unlicensed) fourteen year old at speeds of well over a 100 mph. Oh man you should see the wreckage. It looked like the L1011 crash site in Sioux City Iowa... There were three others in the car, all were ejected and killed.. The driver is in critical condition in the hospital. This must be what good old dad meant by, ("speed kills boys"),, period.

Ok how's this??
The three cops that were chasing the car, ALL LEFT the scene of the crash.. Say what!? They all went around the block and waited for the 911 calls to come in. Then they returned to the scene and asked this local guy that was standing there, and I quote, "wow what happened here?" ... I no s%#t you! HA! LOL!!! He was shocked because he saw the whole thing.. LOL!!

He tells the cops, and I quote, "you should know, you da guys when cause dis.. HA LOL!!!>>>>>>>> You see here in Hawaii there is a no chase policy for the cops. Now you know why the all left the scene. Those boys are in big trouble now. I bet they get crucified for doing there jobs....... Remember, we're a blue state. :sad0147:
Wow!!! That is crazy! And yea, I have a big problem with anti police a holes!

Fly-n-Low

Hey I know what a break barrel is but what is a nitro piston??
My Bro in-law and Nephew have those type of riffles and I don't really know how the pump mechanism works. What's up with that?..
Some break overs have a spring and some have a cylinder with compressed nitrogen, which is just and air spring if you will. The spring, well is a spring and can deliver torque, so they say....? Both of mine have the nitro cylinders and are very smooth... I think they sound different as well, nitro being quieter.

My Remington dialing in a new BSA scope. Pricey German pellets also. The "crow" or "rabbit" magnums are the beast!

Attachments

• DSCN5557.jpg
    DSCN5557.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 4

Rob Lancaster

I'd have thought that would have been obvious Rob since we've been talking air guns.... Nitrogen.

The problem here is that different gasses will have different compression levels that they can reach. I have no idea what pressure the 12g CO2 cartridge the typical air pistol uses has. If you switch to another type of gas, you aren't going to want to over pressurize it beyond what the air gun is rated to hold... or under pressurize it and not get the performance you want to see out of it. After finding out what the pressure requirements are meant to be... then capacity would be the next concern. In other words, how many viable shots you can get out of it at that pressure level.

The quick search and watching of a single video about refilling the CO2 cartridges certainly didn't answer any of the safety questions I just mentioned ( pressure or capacity really ) and they only guessed they were getting about 1/3 to 1/2 of the number of shots... They didn't even mention if they got good groups or not using it. This is why when I last posted about this stuff, that whom ever is looking to do this type of thing ( refilling their own tanks or carts ) that they need to do some additional research. It's also why I mentioned the PCP type air gun/pistols because I knew they were made for refiling so those types of ratings etc should already be well known in that community with a little bit of searching. Don't take a bit of general info by a bunch of yahoo's ( that'd be us since we know only a little bit ) you find on the internet as enough knowledge... do your research, it doesn't take that much extra time or work to do things safely.

There are a worlds of difference between getting an idea of how something works, gaining knowledge of that concept.... and putting it into use and gaining experience with it. At some point after getting a lot of experience, you may even find a little wisdom there somewhere. Or that is the hope...

Ha! Yeah the light is getting brighter now, lol!
I always wondered why they always used CO2 in the prefilled cartridges.

Also I believe your philosophy of going with the PCP approach is a sound one. It's the auto technician in me that's telling me not to go outside the original factory specifications. If one thing is changed, most often many more things need to be changed to make any modification a safe successful one. So you may as well just get a gun that's made for the mission. Thanks chief...

You guys seen this? Compressors | Airgun Depot

Hey Paul, I like the riffle rig-a- ma-jig thing you have. I'd like to research that rig too, what is it called?
And do you use that barrel laser thing to sight in your scope?

Thanks guys! Every time we chat, I get a little more understanding of the world around me... Me like'm dat very much!...

RandyDSok

I'd say he lost it long ago... but I wouldn't be talking about the monitor :D

He PM'd me late last night... it appears to have been a bad cable going to the monitor...

Rob Lancaster

He PM'd me late last night... it appears to have been a bad cable going to the monitor...

I'm not in anyway implying that I know computers. But when I heard Tony's monitor went out so soon, I just had this feeling that it was a bad connection or cable,, same thing... Good work boys!...

Fly-n-Low

Pretty sure I just lost my left monitor... Less than a year. Not a happy camper right now.
OH NO!!! What brand?

I on my old computer I have a Samsung and an Asus. The Samsung is OLD and isn't near are bright. My new computer I have two Asus gaming monitors, so far, so good. I bought them for a flight sim, but I have a 4T HD I need to install first.

Fly-n-Low

I think those are in the 4500 psi range... but don't quote me, I'm going off of limited info. A scuba shop or forum would be the best place to get that info.

Cool. I have a work truck with a big tool bed, crane and all. Guy that owned it had it set up for a scuba tank to air tires up, etc. I was supposed to get them with but did not... He used all electric impacts, drills, etc., so no need in an air compressor.

Hey Paul, I like the riffle rig-a- ma-jig thing you have. I'd like to research that rig too, what is it called?
And do you use that barrel laser thing to sight in your scope?

That is a Caldwell Lead Sled. It has a bag full of lead shot... 25 pounds or so, that goes in the front for the kickers. I use it to sight on all my rifles. You can put a .300 mag in it and it doesn't hurt. :hdbng:

Funny though, the brake barrel pellet rifles kick forwards (that is why you have to get special scopes, BC they will kill a regular rifle scope), so you have to place the butt and inch or so from the rear rest, other wise you'll never get it sighted.

I have one of these to bore sight. End of the barrel has to be ferrous though: Professional Laser Bore Sighter | Green Laser

The end of my pellet rifles aren't ferrous, go figure. Neither is my custom suppressed .22. So I just set up a box with a target on it at about 20', and work out from there.

I love the Lead Sled though! You can tell your what your rifle will really group. My billet AR is sub MOA at 200 yds. And that is cheap ammo, not precision.

Rob, any question you have, I'll do my best to answer. :twothumbsup:

Attachments

• headdown.jpg
    headdown.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Rob Lancaster

Cool. I have a work truck with a big tool bed, crane and all. Guy that owned it had it set up for a scuba tank to air tires up, etc. I was supposed to get them with but did not... He used all electric impacts, drills, etc., so no need in an air compressor.

That is a Caldwell Lead Sled. It has a bag full of lead shot... 25 pounds or so, that goes in the front for the kickers. I use it to sight on all my rifles. You can put a .300 mag in it and it doesn't hurt. :hdbng:

Funny though, the brake barrel pellet rifles kick forwards (that is why you have to get special scopes, BC they will kill a regular rifle scope), so you have to place the butt and inch or so from the rear rest, other wise you'll never get it sighted.

I have one of these to bore sight. End of the barrel has to be ferrous though: Professional Laser Bore Sighter | Green Laser

The end of my pellet rifles aren't ferrous, go figure. Neither is my custom suppressed .22. So I just set up a box with a target on it at about 20', and work out from there.

I love the Lead Sled though! You can tell your what your rifle will really group. My billet AR is sub MOA at 200 yds. And that is cheap ammo, not precision.

Rob, any question you have, I'll do my best to answer. :twothumbsup:

Thanks Paul!
Yeah been doing research on all this stuff.
Yesterday I went over to my brothers house to have a look at a scuba tank he has. It's a 80cf 3000 psi certified tank with a -K- valve setup. Now if I hook that up to a refillable 12g cartridge, I hope to get maybe 30 shots from it.? Hopefully?? But that's not the end game. I want to get into the new PCP guns. That's where air action is. So I figure setting up a scuba tank (for now) might be the way to proceed.

Oh hey I checked my Ruger 10-22 and it has a Ferris muzzle.. So I have options there when it comes to (green) laser scope alignment tools.. Now all I need are the scrips $$$$$ to make it happen..

Air Venturi Scuba Tank Yoke K-Valve Adapter & Hose, with Quick Disconnect | Pyramyd Air

Amazon product
Amazon product
Ok that's the latest, ha! .... Stay tuned.......>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Fly-n-Low

Oh hey I checked my Ruger 10-22 and it has a Ferris muzzle.. So I have options there when it comes to (green) laser scope alignment tools.. Now all I need are the scrips $$$$$ to make it happen..

Yea, I am sure 99% do. Both of my Remington pellet rifles have built in suppressors. My custom 1022 with the shrouded barrel has a suppressor, aluminum, but there is no other place to put it. Even the dummy suppressor (so you can shoot if it you don't have one) is aluminum also.

For some calibers they make a plastic bullet that has a laser in the end of it. Put it in the barrel and it shines through.

Tony

Staff member
OH NO!!! What brand?

I on my old computer I have a Samsung and an Asus. The Samsung is OLD and isn't near are bright. My new computer I have two Asus gaming monitors, so far, so good. I bought them for a flight sim, but I have a 4T HD I need to install first.
The ones at my desk are just cheap Acer 60hz 24" monitors (triple with one above that is a TV). I had unplugged power and the HDMI cable from the monitor and plugged them back in and it kept going black but still had a power light. I was thinking the display driver went out because it had really weird artifacts. So to keep the wife happy (she is pissed at the number of monitors I have purchased lately lol. I have triple MSI 165hz curved monitors on my sim rig lol) I decided to try a new cable. I'm going from DP to HDMI, so had a cable laying around. Plugged it in, and it's still doing great. Well, we great as you can at 60hz....

Fly-n-Low

I had to shorten the aileron link, and reform the Z bend (I have the tool) ..... Another Dynam quirk... Now fiddling with the landing gear... :chairshot:

Attachments

• 20210925_203452[1].jpg
    20210925_203452[1].jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 5

Rob Lancaster

Ok this just in,,, not really...
In the news today the city & county of Honolulu and other fools decided to remove the famed Stair Way to Heaven. The hike that now draws thousands of visitors every year from around the world. (No money to be made here)..

A quick reminder.
Years back they restored the entire stairway. It's cherry now except for landside damage at the bottom from one of our many rain storms.

I've even seen a clip on the news of the Stairway being advertised on the Price Is Right. News flash!!! It's closed!!! It's never been opened to the public for all kinds of stupid reasons.. (Hint, blue state)!! Fools and idiots all! Oh the cost of the restoration over 12 years ago you ask? One million.. Now It'll be millions more to remove the historical site.

Top Bottom