What Did You Do Today???

Tony

Staff member
So the wife purchased new living room furniture today and it was delivered and setup. So I"m out here in the living room doing all of the updates to the consoles that I have in the living room that I have not used in years. These things are quite out dated, I just didn't see a reason to update them.

As for the furniture, it is okay, not something that I would have purchased to be honest, but as long as the wife is happy, I'm happy.

Now just have to figure out why there is no network connection to some of my devices.... I think there may be an issue with the switch I'm using here in the living room.

murankar

Staff member
Today is the first time I was able to get decent signal. The army weekend is almost over. Few more hours and we should be done. Then its off to my dads to my keys and actually go and see my new house. So excited right now.

Spent the last 4 years trying to make this happen and it finally did. Albeit 6 months earlier than intended. Still glad I made the decision when I did. this house is legit for me.

Once I get settled ill be doing lot more stuff. On every level of stuff I do. From the yard rc stuff tech stuff and who knows what ever.

RandyDSok

Wow, these are some legit winds we are getting right now in central OKC!!! @rdsok how you doin' up there bro?

Well... it was quite a storm that rolled through here... luckily I'd taken a late nap so I could stay up for the storm since there was a pretty low chance of tornadoes with this one. I did my normal prep for a storm by charging up my tablet and cell phone just in case... which turned out as a very needed prep.

It came into Norman a little before midnight and at 11:55pm, my power went out. Without my internet wifi, I had to rely on my sketchy cell service at the house, but it's better than nothing. We ended up getting almost an inch of rain and had gusts up to round 74 mph. Right after the power went out, I got dressed again to go outside and watch the storm a bit since I had nothing better to do. As I went out, I hear the crack of a tree or very large branch being broken to the SW from me. After the rain had let up, I went to drive around to see the extent of the power outage in my area. It looked like it was almost a 2 mile square area... basically from the river north to almost Rock Creek Rd and west of I-35 to 48th St. NW. There were still areas on the west side of the I-35 service road here and there that still had power... and going south from Rock Creek south, about a 1/2 mile of the houses still had their power. On Rock Creek about a 1/2 mile west of 36th NW was a tree downed blocking the west bound lane and at 48th and Rock Creek, the stop sign was pushed down for the west bound lane. I'd kept to the main roads and didn't venture into the neighborhoods since I didn't need exact info, just a general idea of the area affected was enough.

My power came back online at around 8:25 am. I'd left my AC off for most of the previous afternoon since I was gone, so the house had stayed a bit too warm for a good sleep until the power came back online... after the AC came back online, I took a couple more hours of sleep that was much more comfy.

Tony

Staff member
The wife informed me that we have a 30 year old Mamosa tree in my grandma's yard that broke due to the wind. So I get the fun time of cutting that tree up and making firewood with a bad back that I hurt somehow yesterday...

And Randy, get an UPS for your modem and router. We lost power here a few times (only for a few seconds at a time), and due to my ups I was able to keep internet on my lappy which is where I was watching the news from. I will be investing in more ups in the very near future.

murankar

Staff member
First night at the new house. Getting drunk, or close to it. Providing security.

Attachments

• PSX_20200715_024325.jpg
    PSX_20200715_024325.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 5

Tony

Staff member
This week.... let's just say I'm glad it is over. It will be right at 100º outside this weekend, and we have a ton of work to get done out there.... Not looking forward to it.

murankar

Staff member
Almost moved in. 90% of the house has been cleaned / dusted. Got a good chunk of my belongings out of the old place.

Right now I am officially living in the new house. Monday was my first nignt.

RandyDSok

Comet Neowise...

I originally planned to drive outside of town slightly for any of the pics I was going to attempt to take of the comet. Having a poor nights sleep the night before, I chose to be a little lazy and just went into my front yard for this shot. I was just barely able to find it by averting my eyes slightly from where I thought it was going to be. Got the shot right off the bat which considering I couldn't actually see it in the viewfinder, I took as a win. I then took a series of shots at different ISO settings and times so I could pick from the better of them. Hopefully, the next ones I try to get will be better since the best night should be next Weds or Thurs ...

2020-07-18-Comet Neowise_sm.jpg

To find the comet I recommend using binoculars if possible... the bigger the front lens the better, magnification won't matter. If you can find the Big Dipper in the NW sky, tonight, the comet is straight down from it towards the horizon right where the front paw would be. It will be moving up and towards the west almost reaching the rear paw by Weds-Thurs.

RandyDSok

Well... I'm a little torn... the previous pic I got, the comet shows better and this one, I got the light pollution out of the shot better ( I think )... I also went to portrait mode and tried a little wider angle shot...

DSC_4691.jpg

RandyDSok

Ok... After thinking about it a little more, I decided to also share a 35mm version ( even wider angle, the previous was at 55mm ) so more of the Big Dipper shows. This also gives a little more perspective on how faint this comet is since you'll get more context to judge it from. As before, I removed as much light pollution and white balance as previously so it's shown in a more natural light but it also dims the comet doing that a little bit...

DSC_4728_sm.jpg

murankar

Staff member
Getting there just a few more trips from the ex's place and I should be done.

House is getting to be settled in with the kids, had our first family meal yesterday. Feels great knowing I dont have to stress out over the weekend.

Rob Lancaster

Randy!! Great shots of the comet!!!!!!!!! I want a better look later, but for now were at condition Zulu...
Hurricane Douglas bears down on us. Looks like Oahu and the windward side might get a bit rough. After 37 years; it may be our turn for a major hit?.. Stay tuned...… :(…………………..
If you guys don't here from me soon,,,, and you hear the bell of doom, just party on and send Lillie's , LOL! :biggrin1:

Rob Lancaster

What did we do today? We dodged another bullet today.....
Wow hurricane Douglas came to close for comfort. As of 6:eek:opm HST we secured from condition Zulu as the storm passed just to the north of Oahu, whew!! It came within only 25 miles of us here in Kaneohe. We were on the dry southern side so there was just a few drops of rain. The wind was mild too. We had only a 25 mph breeze with gusts of about 35 mph.. That passed very quickly so my brother and I busted out the Weber Smoky Joe and grilled out, LOL!... :biggrin1:

murankar

Staff member
Here we are almost a month into the new house. The 7th will mark one month since closing and the 13th marks one month since moving. I am still not done moving. on Tuesday I had to go to the clinic to get my back looked at. I royaly jacked it up. Spent the last week laid up in the house un abke to work or do anything. Friday was my first day walking around unassisted. I ended up with my kids again this weekend. No big deal I have a house now. No one to answer to, no more asking for permission.

I should be rolling back to normal shortly.

Tony

Staff member
I know all too well about the back issues and I have been there. It's no fun at all. Take care of it.

As for asking for permission, that is some serious BS! Especially for YOUR kids....

Top Bottom