Tri Tricopter Setup Help.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I would try it if I still worked at the steel mill. I have not got any metal working tools. Plus like I said I would not have any idea on what to do anyway. Lol I mean I could build 8-12" legs a center section and put them together. Then I still have to buy all the electronics, figure out what to buy, and how to set it up. Hmmmm. I would go with an aluminum frame over wood for durability.

Lee

Wood also absorbs more vibrations if you are going to carry a camera. And its a couple of bucks for 3m. Enough to keep you in arms for a few crashes anyway. :D

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Wood also absorbs more vibrations if you are going to carry a camera. And its a couple of bucks for 3m. Enough to keep you in arms for a few crashes anyway. :D

I hear you on the wood. The only thing is if I do this, everything has to be right. I'm not scared to spend money. For about $500.00' I'll have the whole setup. Camera mount tilt swivel and all. Now I'm just new to all this. But, my thoughts are telling me the buying an ARF already built, designed, to do exactly what I want it to do, would be the best route for me to take.

I know that I can get all kinds of help from you guys out there. There is no one in my area other than a couple of kids playing with toys that is into these tri-copters. So after explaining my thoughts what do you think?

Lee

The ARF version they have there on the website is a very basic gyro operated tricopter. You would still have to set it up. The actual building is easy. Took me a couple of hrs. Its the radio set up that took me two day to get right.
If you really want a RTF tri or quad, i would get a Gaui Super Combo

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
You need something like this for your stuff Lee --

<center><iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/w0FHbAXxnEE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></center>

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Looking at some literature, the best bet is to isolate your motors at the arms. If you keep the vibrations from the motors from ever getting to the arms, you will keep it off of the airframe all together. From the way I'm looking at it, it is harder to keep it from the mount or camera once it encompasses the frame.

Lee

You need something like this for your stuff Lee --

<center><iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/w0FHbAXxnEE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></center>

I have that mount already Paul.
How would you go about isolating the arms?

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Mount the motors some way to keep them off the arms. I saw some materials which are out there which could do it. Or you could mount the motors to something (small thin plate) and then use the small gel gromets (in the link) to mount the plate to the arm ... I don't know, just thinking.

EDIT: And I wasn't talking about the mount, I was talking about mounting a small servo to snap the pics when you wanted to vs having it take pics every two seconds.

Jerryz

Well I hope I'm doing the right thing. This thread is 3 years old. I'm having big problems with the rudder motor. I know that the rudder motor has to be canted a little to the right to compensate for torque. It seems that no matter which way I trim the rudder, when I throttle up, the torque rolls the motor to one side or the other. It almost seems like the servo cannot hold the motor in a given position. I was told to change the value for the rudder in the KK2 to -100. That made matters worse. Here is my checklist: 1. Motor 1 CW with CW prop. 2. motor 2 CCW with CCW prop. 3. motor 3 CW with CW prop. 4. Rudder servo plugged into motor4 port on KK2. Here is a video of what's happening. I am lost. Well I do not know how to upload a video. Anyway it won't fly

Lee

It fine to put the post here. Normally you would start your own thread if the thread is very old like this.

To upload a video, first you have to upload it to something like youtube or Vimeo.
Then you put the link to it in here by pressing the film strip button.
Seeing it will give us a better idea as to how to help.

Jerryz

I was thinking that Lee, but I'm kinda new so I wasn't sure. Anyway here is the video.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lee

You need to set your video to public in youtube. The video is set to private :D

Lee

Ok got it.
Have you got the tail gain compensation set the correct way?
When you hold the Tri, and turn it in your hand. The tail motor servo should tilt the motor in a one direction.
The correct way is, if you push the tail to the right, the tail motor should tip and point to the left.
Check this first and let me know.

Jerryz

OK Lee Let me try it. I'll get right back to you.

- - - Updated - - -

OK Lee. When I move the tail in both directions, the rudder motor compensates in the correct direction.

- - - Updated - - -

Someone told me to set the mixer editor on the rudder to minus 100. Not sure about that.

Top Bottom