Tri Tricopter Setup Help.

Keith

I saw that a couple of weeks ago Lee... I even printed it out ready to use ... Turned out I did not use it (yet)... Once you have everything moving in the right direction it's just common sense which motor should fire when you tilt it...
I've been setting the sub trims for the motors today... More or less got them all starting at the same time... Also trimming the rud gyro for best results.. What I've done is rig a sort of jig up in the garage... Well it's three pieces of string with hooks on that I hook over each boom... With it hanging from the roof I can fine tune things... You can really see how your tail gyro works (or does not) with this set up... Mind you if one motor goes a bit erratic it starts a see-saw effect with the other two and all hell breaks out...
Mine is almost finished apart from the undercarrage... Got the battery mount in... Would like to have mounted slave battery but stuck for space... Would have put a switch on and left it on there... Made some legs out of foam but they did not work....

Tony

Staff member
That is a great bit of information there Lee. I did notice that they didn't place the gyros directly in line with the arms though. That has peaked my intrest a bit now. I swear, if you guys get me to build one of these, my wife will go postal hahaha

Lee

Ok, it took a lot of sweat and tears to get my motors ESC's and gyros all working right. If you are using the HK401's they will only work if you put the pots to full. So 100 delay and 140 Limit. Then put the throttle stick to high, go through start up sequence and after the two beeps lower stick. All is working as it should for me. :D

Keith

HobbyKing now have the KK boards. Quad only, you can probably change to Tricopter. Only $30 thats cheaper than the four gyros you need with the other setup... And you only need a four channel aero set up to operate it...

There on backorder and you can only order two maximum... Get your orders in fast...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=17537

You will need four male to male servo leads as well... Got mine here... Could not find any at HK..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130497988397&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Lee

Just had a look. Comments say it quite a basic board compared to the KK. Not able to upgrade it and no accelerometers. But hey it does the basic job :D

Keith

A lot cheaper than the 401s setup though Lee... I got my 2nd one almost ready... The KK blackboard is very easy to setup... Just plug in receiver, plug in ESCs & Rudder servo and arm it...
Calibrate throttle and all motors start exactly together... A little tip, after you arm it nothing happens (apart from LED staying lit) until you move the throttle slightly... Gyros will initialize and rudder servo activates... Tried to test rudder before I finished setup and it would not work, thought I had a prob... As soon as throttle moves your in business.... The gyros are really good, just push the tail and the servo counteracts immediately.. One thing I have noticed is with the separate gyros setup the motor speed up or slow down as you move booms up and down... With this they only seem to speed up not slow cown...? Anyway should get a maiden this weekend so vid will follow... I think my eye will hold up if I don't look into the sun...

Here is some more info for Multi Rotor Control Boards from Open Pilot http://www.openpilot.org/

The OpenPilot CopterControl Platform

coptercontrol.jpg

Ground Control Station Software

screen.jpg

Keith

Great link Jolly... Have registered with the ozzie site.. He has a price of $130 but in the forum he says $95 plus shipping...

Lee

I was flying my tricopter yesterday and this guy walked up to me with a tiny quad copter. Had a fly of it. Very stable.
He is his Build Blog for quads of all sizes and hexacopters too.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
After our conversation the other day I found this web sight FPV video pilot Home they have tri and quad aluminum frames for sail. Also they have a compleat tri set up for $400.00 hmmm may be next project. Lol

Lee

Didn't like the look of his quad frame. Interesting though. I will build my own design. See how it turns out

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I just thought for the price, and it looks durable. What do you think about the tricopter? Look through to the one with all the electronics.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I thought so too. I mean if I scratch build one, I'll have a few bucks into motors, electronics, gyros, and whatever. Plus the fact that I do not know what I'm doing. Lol. Until I get a little more experience, the ARF kit seems cool for me. Did you check out his video on the fpv stuff? Very cool!

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
I was taking a look at some stuff as I didn't like how their kit looked either. Over here on this Granger site, they have some U-channel stock, along with some plate stock. I don't know what thickness of plate aluminum you'd need (1/16th shown). $32 for 12"x12" ... enough to make four 6x6 plates which should be big enough for the main part of a quad I'd think ... in fact two of them :biggrin1: ... just wondering what you tinkerers think about it?

Tony

Staff member
I could make a one piece quad with a piece of 12x12 .063" aluminum. I think I actually have a sheet of that...

Top Bottom