Tri Tricopter Build

Keith

Nice Lee... I think I may have my electrics doing what they are supposed to... I could not get the 401B gyros working properly so have now fitted Mini Mems... They seem a lot more consistent with smoother control... I may have had the wrong settings so the 401s maybe OK...
I had problems getting all the gyros and ESCs working together... I ended up setting each one indevidually... Finally got them all working together, although the motors do not start at the same time?.. They all adjust speed when the frame is tilted though... Hope your setup goes OK... Just when your ready to throw it all out of the window take a deep breath have a break and try again... It's a great feeling when it all comes together..Good luck mate...

I found you do not need to use a BEC to jump start the system. If you have a RX battery (4v - 6v) just plug that into Bat on Rx... Then plug main bat in and unplug Rx bat straight away or you ESCs may give a wrong voltage beep...beep.... You need full throttle so as the ESCs can reset and then know when to go low throttle without adjusting ESCs settings...It's handy to have a program card to check them...

Last edited:

Lee

Ok problems problems. I'm trying to get the gyros and esc working. Just starting with one at a time. The rear one (Elev) i arm the gyros with my BEC then i plug in the main battery. The esc beeps twice then it can do a number of things. Beep continuously, beep quickly then stop and beep twice when i give stick input or just beep twice then nothing. Motor doesn't move. But if i connect a servo in place of the esc it works perfectly. So i know its a ESC issue i cant figure out.
Helpppppp (KEITH) and anyone else that has an idea.

Tony

Staff member
are you sure that something isn't reversed? Remember, you are using your right stick for the throttle now.

Keith

Hope my PM helped Lee... I was playing with mine today and one of my motors has dropped now... ESC just Beep...Beep...Beep...
I'm seriously thinking about waiting for this KK board to arrive...?

Lee

So i got the Tricopter ready for its first test. But lets take a step back. I didnt get many build pictures as i was too intensely involved in getting things to work.
Anyway heres what i did take.

Gyros have a step in them so i put tape on one side to even up the base.
100_2176.jpg

Made a wiring loom to be able to power up the Gyros & ESC's separately.
100_2177.jpg

Wiring was a nightmare. A real dogs dinner soldering job. The red wires went together well but the black just wouldn't accept the solder.
100_2179.jpg

The gyro set up with wires hotglued into place.
100_2180.jpg

XT60 for the battery and Deans for the arming switch.
100_2181.jpg

The finished article :D
100_2182.jpg

Well all the electrics were doing the right thing. But when i tested it outside it took off at full speed and hit the wall of the house. Seems 30% throttle curve is too high and put it into HH instead of Rate. Oh well i'll try again tomorrow and video it this time.

Keith

Well done Lee... Do all your motors have about the same RPM? One of mine is higher than the other two... It's getting more power because I swapped motor positions and that boom still had more power...

Lee

Got my replacement motor today So had it up and running again :D. Just flying down the beach when a Swedish guy comes up to me and says Nice Tricopter then pulls out a homemade Quadcopter. It was really well made and strong too, as i found out when i crashed it and nothing broke :D Problem with it is orientation, i got it too high and didn't know where the front was :D I really want to build one now.

Top Bottom