Tri Tricopter Build

Keith

I'm building guys.....

I was amazed when the postie pulled up with a parcel today... All I had ordered for the tricopter...

I ordered it last Friday and here it is Monday... I admit I paid top dollar for postage (by mistake) and it arrives in 3 days from Honkers....

So why does it take at least 3 weeks normal mail...?

I love the square 10 x 10mm carbon rods, so strong, so light... I've made the base plates and attached tilt mechanism for the tail motor.

Taken pics but left camera in garage, will post some tommorow... Need to make motor mount plates next... I want to balance each motor before I mount them...

I also have to pull the gyros apart and do the hot glue upgrade... Still need a couple more things, mostly nuts, bolts etc... They should be here in a couple of days...

So I'm looking at a maiden towards the end of the week... I have the choice of two Rx to use on my 9x... A six or a nine channel....

The six is a lot smaller and will fit nice... Do you think I will need the nine on it? I suppose I might put a tilt/pan camera mount later and might need the extra channels then...

Tony

Staff member
No response? Man....... hahahaha. I was only playing around.... But, you know this hehe

Keith

I like it Tony... made me smile....

Sorry Lee, but as well as getting mine first there is a good chance I will have it re-built a couple of times as well..lol..

Tony

Staff member
Have you played with the one on 'Clearview'?... I had a go but could not control it....

Hey Keith, I have looked and looked and I do'nt see a tricopter on clearview. Did you have to download it? If not, let me know the name of it. I was to play with this little sucker

Tony

Staff member
Downloaded, a little slower than I expected. And, the rudder is all over the place lol. I think it needs a gyro hahaha. Pretty cool though.

Keith

Tony, I was talking Quadcopter on 'Clearview'... But since I upgraded to the latest version I can't find it either...

Maybe I did D/L it....? Anyway glad Frank helped out... I'll D/L later.... The slower the better for me....

Lee

Hey Tony, I clicked on it but nothing showed up just a blank screen. Maybe that was the joke LOL

Whirlybird

Hey Tony, I clicked on it but nothing showed up just a blank screen. Maybe that was the joke LOL

Tony's up to his pranks again :warning:

There is definitely something there Lee . . . it's just audio . . . you need to click the play button if you can see it and it does not automatically play :)

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
hehe, Frank is right, it's an audio file. You should also be able to right click and select "Save As". I can assure you, it's not a virus lol.

Lee

All my bits arrived this morning on my birthday :D
Here's a pic. Just got to finish the set up on my 500 then the build will commence.

100_2158.jpg

Keith

Nice Lee... Are you going to mod the 401?... I did, but I took the short cut... I usually hot glue the wires and contacts that are a bit sus... But this time I took the bottoms off and filled them with hot glue... I let it get really hot so it would get right in... It certainly did... I screwed them together and they work perfect... Only problem is the glue ran too well and covered the dip switches... Lucky I don't need didital on the cylics... I'm using a mini mems on the tail... I've ordered three more mini mems just in case... I'm waiting on nuts and bolts to attach the base to the booms... I've joined the battery wires on the ESC's into one plug and joined the three gain plugs on the gyros... Ready to start testing the ESC's for high/low power next and get them working in the correct orientation... I'll be using three spare servos to do that...

OK mate you have all weekend to catch up to me now...GL & HAPPY BIRTHDAY once again...

Lee

Ok so after a lot of backwards and forwards to the Hardware store i have scrapped the booms for the original idea of wood arms. Everything i needed for the booms was either a mm too small or too big or not in stock. So i gave up. So i have a nice selection of coloured booms for my 450 :D
Here are some piccies of my progress so far.

The basic Frame. Wood arms are said to take out the vibrations to the body where all the gyros are.
100_2166.jpg

The tail servo is hot glued and screwed into place. Feather shaft is now a 3mm screw threaded into the boom and glued for extra strength.
100_2169.jpg

Motor mount is 3mm plywood, fits the blade holder perfectly. I will be shaping the plate for asthetics :D
100_2173.jpg

Its a big beast. 60CM from middle to motormount.
100_2174.jpg

Folds up for easy carriage in my backpack.
100_2175.jpg
So there it is. Now the fun of setting up the electrics :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom