700 Trex 700 Head And Telemetry Options

Harford

I am about to acquire an older but unused Trex 700E V2 Flybarless. This is the model prior to the introduction of the DFC head.

It comes with a 3GX and I will replace this with either a Spirit Pro or Microbeast (most likely the former). I would like some telemetry capability (flight pack voltage) and rather than 2 x Spektrum satellites plus a TM1000, is there a better receiver option for this set up. I read there are now receivers with inbuilt telemetry capability.

I am using a DX9.

The other question concerns the head. Would changing the Flybarless head to a DFC head be a worthwhile upgrade for a docile non 3D flier ? I understand Align have reverted to Flybarless heads for some models.

Your views would be appreciated.

Tony

Staff member
Can't speak for the receiver, I have not done much research on the subject. But the head, I would just stick with the FBL head. The DFC head is going to run quite a bit of money and if you crash, there is a more likely chance of servo damage over the stock head.

Smoggie

With the Spirit Pro, if you use a spektrum SPM4649T receiver (and you use an ESC that supports data output e.g. latest castle Edge and Hobbywing V4 for instance) then you get full telemetry data (voltage mAh used, RPM etc) back to the Tx. You also get full programming interface so that you can set-up and adjust the FBL settings direct from the Tx screen.

For receiver redundancy on a 700 you would also probably want to run a Satellite

I'd also stick with the standard flybarless head. Align have dropped DFC from all their new models.

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Trex 700E V2
Must agree with all regarding the DFC head. I have changed over all my Align helis to "non" DFC. The 700V2 was a wonderful flying machine. They came with the Ice2 Castle, that I would change,:evil: lol. I have used the Spektrum receivers with built in telemetry with no issues.
T

Smoggie

They came with the Ice2 Castle, that I would change,:evil: lol.

The original Castle Ice HV did have a terrible reputation for bursting into flames. To be fair to Castle though they were all recalled and repaired/replaced with the Ice2. The Ice 2 seem to be safe enough as far as i know. For sure I've used a couple of them with no issues.

They dont support data out for telemetry though, you need the Edge for that.

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
I love Castle Creation ESCs. I have many. Never a single issue with an Edge controller. But this was my last Ice2. That was a 700 with many flights on it.

Attachments

• photo (29).JPG
    photo (29).JPG
    521.4 KB · Views: 8

Harford

This is worrisome ! This heli has it original equipment Castle ICE2 HV 120 ESC. I didn't plan to change this ESC but perhaps I should ?

Assuming I stay with this ESC rather than later ones which support data output, can/should I use Spirit Pro plus 1 Spektrum satellite and a SPM4649T (the combination of which provide 2 receivers) as opposed to the Spirit Pro plus 2 satellites and a TM1000. The former being cheaper with less gear on the heli while providing the same result ? Is this right please or am I confused.

I appreciate this system would not be as capable as the one Smoggie suggested.

Still a little concerned about that ESC..

Tony

Staff member
I definitely would not trust an ICE ESC. Any others by them are fine from what I have seen. But I have heard of too many of the ICE ESC's overheating and catching fire and destroying a model.

Harford

So please help me. Precisely what model Castle ESC should I buy as a replacement. Please keep I mind I am not a 3D flier

Smoggie

The SPM4649T is still the better option because it offers integration with the Tx so you can make field adjustments to FBL setup direct from the Tx, you cant do this with satellites alone. The SPM4649T has a port for connecting external battery voltage input, like the TM1000 but i'm not sure what the maximum voltage is for that input.

Smoggie

Fran's photo of the burned Ice2 is worrying but I've seen examples of burned ESC's from just about every brand. The official line from Castle was that the problem was fixed when they upgraded from the original Ice HV to Ice2 HV... From Fran's evidence there is obviously still an occasional failure but like i said, that's true of pretty much any electronic product to some extent. I guess it's your call if you want to take the chance, 120A is a little marginal by today's standards which may also be a factor.

The market leaders at the moment seems to be either Hobbywing Platinum V4 HV (either the 130A or 160A) or the Scorpion Tribunus. The Current Castle ESC is the Edge HV series though they are not as advanced as the Hobbywing or Scorpion.

Harford

Thank you Smoggie. I have said previously I am a docile non 3D flier so perhaps the existing ESC can cope. I understand there are no guarantees and appreciate your guidance on alternatives.

However, this is a big machine (for me) and I am reluctant to take chances.

Harford

Just going back to an ealier question re 2 x satellites vs 1 satellite plus 1 x SPM4649T, is the latter a better option rather than including a TM1000

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
I think a better option would be a AR6600T. The 4649T is really ment for drones and only measures up to 25 volts I think. There's a 8 channel version of that 6600T, 8010T also comes with a sat.

Smoggie

I think a better option would be a AR6600T. The 4649T is really ment for drones and only measures up to 25 volts I think. There's a 8 channel version of that 6600T, 8010T also comes with a sat.

The advantage of the SPM4649T is that you get direct integration with the Tx so you can do the FBL setup direct from the Tx screen. You are probably right on the voltage limit but if you use an ESC with data output that's a non-issue because the telemetry data signal (not the actual voltage) goes from the ESC to the FBL then sent to the Tx via the SPM4649T telemetry link. You get not only voltage but current, mAh used ESC temperature and RPM.

If using a different receiver best to make sure it has SRXL output so you can connect via single wire to the FBL. Neither the 6600T or 8010T have SRXL which isn't a show stopper but it does mean you have to run multiple wires between Rx and FBL which gets messy and uses up ports on the FBL.

I think the SPM4649T is the only Rx in the Spektrum range that has both telemetry AND SRXL

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Neither the 6600T or 8010T have SRXL which isn't a show stopper but it does mean you have to run multiple wires between Rx and FBL which gets messy and uses up ports on the FBL.

That's is the truth. SRXL makes for a nice install and eliminates lots of wires.

Harford

If I interpret this correctly, then I am up for a new ESC to make this set up work ?
(setting the fire hazard aside)

If I didn’t buy a new ESC initially, then is the TM1000 a better option because of the voltage limitation with the SPM4649T ?

Smoggie

The TM1000 is a good option to get flight pack and Rx voltage telemetry. I use the TM1000 on a few of my helis.

Top Bottom