700 Trex 700 Head And Telemetry Options

Harford

I have spent a few days contemplating what I should do about the ESC on the Trex 700E, ie stay with the ICE 2 HV 120 or change to a new ESC which offers added security and telemetry capability. A decision not made easy by the not insignificant cost of todays replacements. Among other things, I am trying to get to grips with exactly what I would need to buy to make the system work. If I look at the Phoenix Edge HV 160ESC, it looks as if I need to also buy CC Bec Pro 20a, Castle USB link for programming and Telemetry Link for Spektrum X-Bus - is this it please, or is there more. One of the other suggested (more expensive) options was the Hobbywing Platinum Pro V4 160a-HV which I know has a built in BEC but can you advise please what else I would need it make it work (ie programme it, have the telemetry working etc). I will be using a Spirit Pro and if upgrading the ESC will also get a SPM4649T receiver as recommended previously.
Your help with this would be much appreciated.

Smoggie

Another (cheaper) option is the Hobbywing Platimum Pro V3 130A HV. It's got all the same features as the 160A but just lower rating. The 130A (Align branded version) is what now comes as standard on Trex 700X kits and is enough even for hard 3D flight. The 130A is what I have on my own Trex 700X and is what I've just fitted to my new Goblin 700 so you can see that I have no reservations in using one.

Harford

Thank you, that is encouraging. Could you tell me please what else I would need to buy with this unit to make everything function given the set up we are talking about ie Spirt Pro, SPM 4649T. If I make this investment I would like to make the most of the capability they offer.

Thank you again

Harford

Further to my question above, is the correct selection the former of the tw0 below please :
Hobbywing Platinum PRO V4 -130A-HV (6S-14S
Hobbywing Platinum PRO V4 ESC -130A-HV-OPTO

Many thanks again

Smoggie

Understand the OPTO version does not have an internal BEC which answers this question

That's right. The 'OPTO' version is indeed without BEC. I use the version with the BEC which saves running a seperate Rx pack or seperate BEC and makes wiring neater.

Harford

Thanks. Do I need to buy an LCD programming box to set it up and are there any other connectors I need to make the Telemetry work using the SPM4649T please ?

Smoggie

All good questions!

Yes, you need an LCD 'multi function' programming box if you want to make any adjustments or update firmware etc. The default settings should actually be ok but it is preferable to have the programming box.

If you are using the Spirit / Spirit Pro then you need these two leads:

To connect the SPM4649T to the Spirit Pro: JETI integration cable - Spirit System (or make your own, by just putting the signal wire into a second male plug)

And to connect the ESC to the Spirit Pro for data connection: Telem UNI cable - Spirit System

I'm not sure if i mentioned already but for added redundancy it's best on a large heli to also add a backup satellite receiver. I use a Lemon rx satellite or diversity satellite, either of these:
Lemon Rx DSMX Compatible Satellite (DSM2 backward compatible but must use DSMX compatible primary receiver)
Lemon Rx DSMX Compatible Diversity Satellite (DSM2 backward compatible but must use DSMX compatible primary receiver)

Harford

Many thanks Smoggie. Just what I needed to know.
I will order this combination - you had mentioned I should have a satellite receiver and I already have a Spektrum SPM9645 so will use this. Just looked at your impressive Goblin thread and see you have a fan on the Hobbywing ESC. I am guessing probably unnecessary for a sedate upright flier like me, but quite a nice option all the same.

Thank you again for all your help with this.

Harford

I wondered about that. It was pictured in a pamphlet about this ESC. I definitely won't need it but I will put it on anyway.

Harford

I now have the Hobbywing Platinum V4 130A ESC and my next step is to solder the connectors. Can't go wrong with the battery connection end but I am unsure about the motor connection end. With the unit face up and 3 ESC motor connection wires coming out of the right hand side, I am guessing the middle ESC wire connects to the blue wire from the motor, the top to the Red and bottom to the black. Is this correct or do I have to run the motor to see if the rotation is correct and swap the red and black wires if need be ? (with the middle wire always connected to the blue motor wire ).

Many thanks

Smoggie

The colours on the three motor wires have no meaning, nor does the order which they emerge from the motor. Just connect them to the ESC in whatever way is most convenient. If the motor runs backward (it’s a 50:50 chance) then either swap any two wires, or reverse rotation in the ESC software.

Harford

Many thanks Smoggie. I am afraid I will be back for more advice when it comes to the programming step..

Top Bottom