Tony

Staff member
Well guys, this is what happens when you work, and get really bored. These I'm sure are not finished, but I thougt I would post them up for you guys. If you want to build it, let me know how it works. I would run an alpha 370 with a 10x4.5 prop, or an alpha 400 with a 10x6 prop. Battery should be a 2200mah 3s and standard 9g servos. One thing that is not on the plans is you will cut a hole right under where the wing is on the fuse, and glue the piece you cut out to the bottom of the wing. This will tie the two pieces of wing together, and it will let you have a wedge to keep the wing in place. Just run a couple rods through the fuse with backing pieces for rubber bands, and your wing is set.

Like I said, this is a work in progress because I was bored. Let me know what you think.

Please click on the store button above to download the latest plans!

Tony

Staff member
They could care less about me playing the sim lol. But, when I'm flying a $200 helicopter around $100,000,000 helicopters, they tend to get a little upset lmao.

64impala

Just downloaded I will build but it might be a while. I have another secret64 project in the planning stages lol.

Tony

Staff member
Let me know how it flys, because I have not had a chance to do anything with mine. Crap, I just made an order with hobbypartz and I ment to pick up more servos... Oh well, next order lmao.

This plane should fly pretty well. It's based off a plane that has been teaching newbs since the 70's. When you fly it, get video unless I fly mine first, then I will get video lol.

Tony

Staff member
I have found some probelms thanks go Gaba with the plans. They are all on the tail. There needs to be a piece of foam connecting the elevators together, and there needs to be a D shaped hole cut in the rudder so that the elevator can go up and down. I'm going to try to work on them this weekend at work. When I get them done, I will upload the new plans.

llommel

I'm about ready to mount the components in this trainer. What is the proper location for the CG on the foam trainer?

Tony

Staff member
Because of the airfoil on the wing, start at 50% chord and try it. It should be between 1/3 & 1/2 chord.

Tony

Staff member
This plane needs a lot more testing, so anything you find out, let me know what needs to be changed. I need to build another one, without all of the lights, and finish these plans. I know the 370 motor is too small, but I'm not sure what size is just right yet. I'm thinking about 60-70g will be good on the weight, and around 1000-1300kv. Running a 10x6 prop or maybe a little bigger. Just let me know what you find out, and i will test and make changes.

llommel

Got everything mounted on the trainer. Used an Exceed 86ma12 motor, 1050Kv with a 10 x 4.7 prop. Haven't had it in the air yet, to much snow & cold. Just run it on the driveway couple hundred feet. Used 3/16" aluminum welding rod for front wheels with 1/8" alum rod for stiffener. Used front wheel from T28-D for the front wheels. Attached pics. trainer 3.jpgtrainer 3.jpgtrainer 4.jpgtrainer 5.jpgtrainer 6.jpg

trainer 3.jpg

trainer 4.jpg

trainer 5.jpg

trainer 6.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Is the wing upside down in those pics? When you cut the hole in the top of the fuse, it's meant to go on the wing to help center it, and hold it from sliding side to side. I love that you put wheels on it though, I never did that and can't wait to see how it flys with them. And can't get enough of the colors lol. Hope you get it in the air soon.

llommel

No, it's not on upside down. I put the top pieces on to stiffen the wings. I put the "block" on the bottom to fit between the sides as per the plans. Just wanted a little more strength to hold the wings together.

Tony

Staff member
Ah, sweet deal. I still really like the way it looks. Hope it flys as well for you as it did for me. All the feedback you can give me will help finish these plans.

wizzard363

Here are the pics and my thoughts of the one I built .
Its taken me a while to post as I wanted to get a good feel of the plane and see if any more mods were needed.
The 2 main differences with mine compared to the plans are 1 The nose has been extended to move the motor further forward allowing more room to adjust cog further forward and the rudder is all above the lelvator mainly so I could use plastic hinges on the elevator instead of tape.
The wing is also made flat
The plans did not quite line up correctly when I printed them so i may have made the fuse a bit longer than recomended even before I extended the motor mount and nose.
Cog is exactly 1/3 chord (75mm) on mine and it flys great .
Using an NTM Prop Drive Series 35-36A 1400Kv with APC 10x5 prop
With this setup it has heaps of power without being silly.
It has a good climb rate and more than enough power to get out of trouble.
I built a Blu baby trainer a while back and this model is heaps better .
It does get a bit bouncy in the wind but can handle a good breeze .
I also reccomend spoilerons for landing , not to much , It makes the landings a lot more stable in the wind and the plane can land very slow into a good breeze this way.
Just bought myself a second DX6i so I can buddy box with my daughter and this will be a great starter model for her.
Trainer001-Copy.jpg Trainer001-Copy.jpg Trainer002.jpg Trainer003.jpg Trainer004.jpg Trainer005.jpg Trainer006.jpg

Trainer001-Copy.jpg

Trainer002.jpg

Trainer003.jpg

Trainer004.jpg

Trainer005.jpg

Trainer006.jpg

Tony

Staff member
That looks really good and I'm glad to hear it flies better than the Blu Baby. I thought about building that one way back when, but decided not to. I really like the way you boxed in the motor, but I'm wondering about heat dissipation being in an enclosed area like that. Any issues? The landing gear looks really good as well, did you put that in the spot stated on the plans?

Make sure to get some video up of this one, I would really like to see it.

wizzard363

Cooling is not a problem as there is a cut out each side of the motor and a large hole in the firewall where the motor wires go through .
This allows good air flow all through the fuse and there is an exit hole at the rear.
The landing gear is mounted level with the front wing retainer . the front struts go through the fuse floor and are fixed on the inside under a second layer of foam and a couple of tounge depressers . The rear struts are fixed on the outside and reinforced with a tounge depresser and hot glue .
Pic of front cooling holes
Trainer2001.jpg

Trainer2001.jpg

Top Bottom