Tony's Nano Tank Project

Tony

Staff member
I'm sure you guys have seen my "Who's Into Saltwater" thread, and this is a spin-off of that tank. I plan on setting up quite a few tanks from frag tanks, to quarantine tanks to emergency quarantine tanks (for fish), and then another one for coral quarantine (because there are parasites that can get on them and kill your whole tank). Well, that is all well and good, but those tanks are not going to be pretty, only functional.

I want something else that is small, but functional, and that maybe, just maybe, I can sell for a decent profit if I can get things worked out on them. I'm talking about setting up an entire tank, water, salt, sand, rock, pumps, heaters and so on for less than $500. Let me put it into perspective for you. My 90 gallon reef tank alone was that price. And that is ONLY the tank. Not the stand, canopy, lights, controller, pumps, powerheads, sump, sand, rock, water or anything else. So $500 for a tank is a bitchin price.

As some of you may have also read and seen, I have started playing around with some acrylic. It started out just wanting something to build a custom sump that will fit my tank better than the one that I have now. Well, I needed to practice with something, so I decided to create a 12"x12"x12" nano cube just to see what I can do and how it would turn out. You can see that tank in the picture below.

20130406_043853.jpg

In that picture, remove the pieces that are still blue (protective covering) and that is what I ended up with. The pieces that are blue were supposed to be a hidden over flow compartment.

Well the day after I took that picture, we took it outside and filled it up with water thinking it would leak like no other. Guess what, it held water even with the crappy seams. After 24 hours, it was still holding water even though the wind was blowing the water over the top of the tank. So, I brought it inside and filled it up with water that would roughly match that of a reef tank (about 80ºF). After a day with a pump running in it, there were still no leaks.

Guess what the wife did... She had been out fishing that day and brought home a crapload of minnows. First words out of her mouth, "can I put those in that tank?". Ugh, I had other plans for it lmao. But I agreed just so they would not die in that nasty water they were in. That was Saturday night, and the little *******s are still alive in that tank.

Well that gave me an idea. Why couldn't I build a nano tank that is about the same size or just a bit smaller, put an over flow in it, build a very small sump to go under it, and to build a custom stand and canopy to hold the sump, tank and lights.

There is going to be a lot of research and trial and error in this one, but I know I can make it happen. The issue I'm going to run into is finding a pump that is small enough to fit in the small sump and have the power to push the water up to the tank which is going to be about 2'. This is not that far, but you have to realize, my 1200gph pump on my big tank has a max head of about 13'. My over flow alone will hold more water in my 90g than my whole nano system will hold. So the smaller you go on the pump, the lower the head. And the higher you put the head, the less flow you will get.

Like I said, this is going to take a while to plan out and get going, but I think I can make it work. I will need to get some black acrylic for the back, but that shouldnt' be that hard. I have a small piece, and I may design the tank around the piece that I do have now. Black acrylic is much more expensive than the clear stuff. So I have to use it wisely.

So, now that we know what the tank will be made out of, now we have to decide on what we are going to do with the stand. Remember, this is going to sit on a desk. So it can't be too high to not be able to see when sitting down. But not so short that you can't fit a sump in the stand. Also, I need to decide on what kind of wood I want to use. I'm really thinking Oak, but I may go with something else if I can find it.

Then there is the issue of the canopy that is going to cover the top of the tank and house the lights. Do I want doors on the front of it or do I want the whole top to lift open? If the whole top opens up, then the lights will hit me right in the face. And if you have ever looked into 3w LED's, you know just how bright that can get. So, I'm really thinking the doors is the way to go here.

Then, we need to figure out if we want to attach the stand and canopy together. Meaning, you can only see this tank from the front, and not from the sides or the back. I will still need to make the canopy removable so that I can clean out the over flow, but that is only a monthly thing if that. I have yet to clean out my over flow in the 90 and it's been 3+ months. I really need to do it lmao.

Then there is the lights. I am pretty much set on what lights I want to use. I have some Cree LED's from my last DIY LED lighting kit, and I think I can wire up 8 of them (minimum on an LED driver) and put them over the tank. But, that may be over kill on this little guy. I may have to find a way to drive them without the driver and only use 4 LED's. Or see if they make a driver that can only do 2 that is dimmable so that I can connect it to my apex and control the lighting schedule.

So as you can see, this is in the concept stages. Just the stand alone will take a lot of thought. From what kind of design, to the color. I'm really thinking of doing something elaborate with this one. I mean, I have the wood working tools to make just about anything, so why not take my time and make it right. Making the tank is going to be easy. Making the sump is a little harder, but making the stand and then putting it all together to work correctly is where it's going to get damn hard. Oh yeah, and then there is the fact of how in the hell am I going to return the water to the tank when it's pumped back up there. Standard PVC or do I want to use the outlets like I have on my 90?

There will be a lot more to come in this one. I think I will start off by making the tank and sump, then designing the stand around it.

Stay tuned, this is going to be a lot of fun. And if you have any suggestions, let me know. I would be interested in hearing them.

20130406_043853.jpg

BOKI

Tony; Sounds like you will have a real nice tank when your done! Another wood that is nice is Hickory or Cedar also! My son is just cleaning his big tank & getting all new fish & gravel & interior stuff tomorrow! Were going looking looking tomorrow for all new stuff! Talk to you later as slow a typer as I am I'll be timed out! Dave

Tony

Staff member
I would like to use cedar, but I don't like the open grain. Not for something that is going to be a nice show piece. Cedar is great for areas where you need mildew resistance such as fences or cabinet doors that are around a sink. And I have to admit, they smell great as well lol. However, I think I need to use something a little more elegant like Oak, Mahogany, Maple, OH SHAP!!!

I just remembered that I have a stash of Japanese Maple wood sitting at my grandmas. This stuff is pretty rare here in the states, but my grandpa got ahold of some for his Corvair project and used it to make a false floor in the truck (or boot, for those across the pond). And for those that dont' know, Corvair's were rear engine, so the truck was in the front.

Yup, that settles what wood I'm going to use. Oh yeah, this is going to be great. As long as I don't screw up the wood that is lmao. Not sure where to get more of it.

BOKI

Tony; There is a guy about 7 miles from me who makes things for people out of the choice of wood you decide on! He has a big farm sheds full of hard woods & other wood! He made me a few things years ago & does a nice job! Well talk to you again soon! Dave

Karubah

It's a shame you are over the other side of the world. My business is timber salvage of Australian natives. I have some beautiful redgum burl and mallee burl that would look great for your project. These timbers are some of the hardest on the planet. I would send you some if it was not for the cost of the frieght to get it over there. You certainely keep yourself busy with all these projects. Cheers Andy

Tony

Staff member
Hey Andy, I would love to have some wood from Australia. but agree that the shipping would be quite high.

And you are right, I have quite a few projects. But this new project might be able to free me up in the money department lol. Here's hoping.

Tony

Staff member
Oh man, I just found some Amboyna Burl that I would LOVE to use on this tank. Hell, if I had the money, I would use this to make a stand and canopy for my 90g tank. This stuff is beautiful. Almost worth shipping it from somewhere if I can get a deal on it. That stuff is unbelievably expensive!

Stambo

:) Here I was looking in to this thread expecting to see a tiny RC Abrams or Leopard or something. :)

Tony

Staff member
Matt, when you see this tank in person, you are going to ask me to build you one. And no, I have two micro helis, don't' want any more. Hell, I don't' even fly those.

I was talking to the wife, and we can decide if I want to do dual overflows in the corners, or if I want a solid wall for the overflow. I looked at the piece of black acrylic I have and I think it's a bit too small so I will have to order another piece. Unless I make a smaller tank, something under 5 gallons total volume. I will be working on this this weekend after I finish my new sump for my 90g.

Lots of planning going into this one. More than I put into my 90g, that's for sure.

Wolfman

Tony Sounds like a good idea, you where talking about doors for the canopy. Those are going to be tough making that small, did you ever think about a slider, you could do a bi-pass slider easy enough.

Tony

Staff member
What, a door that just slides in and out? Nah, I can make a regular door to fit this stand without issue. Pretty simple. Just need some 1/16" ply, cut a single slot along the wood about 1/4" deep for the wood to fit into, then put the edge on it you want. Hardest part is getting the 45º angles right. Other than that, a door is cake to make. thanks for the suggestion.

As of this post, I have not made it out to the shop yet and doubt I will even start on this tank this weekend. Lots going on.

Tony

Staff member
well unfortunately I didn't get anything done on teh nano tank this weekend. I was VERY busy with other things like putting the RCH Trainer in the air for the second time EVAR! AND!!! Putting the RCH Heli in the air for the FIRST TIME EVAR!!! lol. It was exciting. I also built a new trainer for callsign4223 as well as put his Align 450 Pro V2 in the air! All of that plus installing the new sump into the 90g tank, this poor nano took a sideline seat. I'm really hoping that I can do something next weekend and get this thing started. I can't wait to have a small tank sitting on my desk! And when you guys see it, you are going to want one as well.

Tony

Staff member
Okay, I made some progress on this project today. I didn't know if I would get to it this weekend or not, but I did while I was cutting some other acrylic for the ATO in the main tank.

I have decided on a size for this tank, and the total outside dimensions are going to be 10" tall, 11.5" side to side, and 12" front to back. 3.5 of those inches will be taken up with the over flow that I'm going to put in the back of it, so the inside water dimensions will be about 9.75" tall, 10.5" wide and 8.5" front to back. Give or take. This will still be a good size tank, but no so big that it takes up a lot of room.

So while I was out there, I cut out all of the pieces and they are ready to be glued into place. Well, welded into place I guess is a better term. However, I'm having an issue with my seams and I'm not sure how to fix this issue. I'm going to try something else on this tank, but fear that I may have to just cut out new pieces when I screw it up. As I'm sure I will. But, practice makes perfect, it's just too bad that "practice" is so damn expensive with this stuff.

I will have pics to follow of the build!

Tony

Staff member
Well, what I was worried about happened. I don't know if my router is not cutting straight or what, but I'm having a hell of a time getting the seams to look like I think they should. If I can't clean up this seam, I may just try sanding the edges to see if that helps. Only one way to find out. I have not had a perfect seam yet even though they still hold water.

there is however a way to hid ALL of the seams and I think I will end up doing that with this tank. It will be unique to say the least, but you will just have to stay tuned to find out now I'm thinking about doing it, hehe. Pics of the progress so far to follow shortly.

Tony

Staff member
Okay so here are the pictures I promised of Project Nano. I'm trying to get everything in here not only for you guys to see and follow along (even though there have been no replies lmao), but mostly so that I have a record of what I did and how I did it. There is still some trial and error going on with the seams as you will see below, but I think they are getting better. I have a few things to try, but I think these are good enough to push forward with this project after things cure. Sadly, it will be next weekend before I can actually do any more work to this tank.

On with the important stuff... THE PICTURES!

The first thing that I changed from working on the 1' cube and the sump is, I decided that I needed a perfectly flat work surface. This is to help with the seams by holding the bottom piece perfectly flat. Well, I sold Matt the glass to the 110g tank, so that is out. Then I was walking through my hallway and there it sat, my 55g aquarium that I had planned to use for a frag tank. However plans have changed with this nano project, and I'm just going to build a shallow tank for the frags.

Here you can see that I placed the 55g aquarium on my kitchen table.
20130421_043658.jpg

Here you can see all 6 pieces of the tank. From bottom to top you have the bottom, sides, front & back, and the splitter that will separate the tank from the filters.
20130421_043645.jpg

After cleaning and removing the protective film, I placed the bottom of the Nano on the glass. Yes, I cleaned the glass WELL before putting it on there lol.
20130421_043840.jpg

Here you can see all of the pieces except the black one placed on the 55g ready to be put together.
20130421_044350.jpg

Starting out, I taped two of the sides together.
20130421_044559.jpg

And another side.
20130421_044723.jpg

Here you can see all 4 sides have been put together. Notice the long piece of tape. This is electrical tape and it stretches very well. I put it on the far side, stretched it over the front, then secured it to the near side. This holds the sides together quite well.
20130421_045256.jpg

After putting the solvent down to weld the two pieces together, this is what I ended up with. The dark areas are areas that bonded well. The lighter areas are where there is no solvent. I later filled these in from the outside of the tank. Not perfect, but it will work. I will just make this the back of the tank lol.
20130421_054059.jpg

This is what a good seam looks like. There are a couple particles in there, but nothing that you won't see unless you are right up on it as the camera was.
20130421_061230.jpg

That is where I left it for the night. When I get up, I will take the weights off of it and see what I have to work with. I don't want to have to redo the tank, or hide the seams, but I may have to.

One of the issues that I think I'm having that you can see on the second to last picture is, I think my router is not cutting a perfectly straight cut. I'm not sure why it's not, but it's not. That is the only logical explanation that I can come up with for the seams doing this. And I'm talking about, they do this EVERY TIME!

So there is still some planning to do and some work to be done, but Project Nano has started. Next weekend I will be fitting the black piece you saw in one of the first pictures. I will have to cut some fingers in it for the water to flow through, then I will have to drill a hole for the water return. But before I do that, I need to order the return pump and get it on the way here. That will tell me where I need to drill the return hole. I also need to order the outlet fitting that will return the water as well. None of these parts are anywhere near as expensive as what is on my big tank, but they still cost money. We will just wait and see if I can make it happen.

Stay tuned, This will not be finished until I am successfully keeping fish and coral in this tank!

20130421_043645.jpg

20130421_043658.jpg

20130421_043840.jpg

20130421_044350.jpg

20130421_044559.jpg

20130421_044723.jpg

20130421_045256.jpg

20130421_054059.jpg

20130421_061230.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Well, after all of that work, Project Nano 1.0 is toast. Video to come to explain! Because it's just easier that way lmao. I love my Note II lmao.

Top Bottom