Tony's Nano Tank Project

Tony

Staff member
Matt, I'm uploading a video showing my sump in detail and how it all works. After that one uploads, I will upload this one for the nano. If I'm still awake after all of that waiting, then I will upload the video I made of the 600. You will get it soon enough. I sure do hope you are flying today, it's going to be beautiful! And what is Tony going to be doing? Friggin sleeping! Again. I hate this shift!!!

Dave, Long time no talk! I don't know about becoming an expert. My seams are far from being perfect, but I'm trying. You will see in this video what I mean. And the more I think about things, the more I realize what I'm doing wrong. Live and learn. Sooner or later I will get a perfect seam on all seams and have a tank that I don't have to cover up. But, it's getting there. Just a very expensive "practice" lol.

Graham Lawrie

Hi Tony, Still looks good:) minor blip but you have got those seems good:) like i have said before used to have 3 bigish tropicals, and i loved those tanks, a labour of love:) The fish loss was what knocked it on the head for me:( Really enjoying your progrss and vids:)

wolfman76

wow tony bummer bout the nano tank 1.0 but will be looking forward to 2.0 you will get it done man and i am sure the next attempt will go much smoother... How thick of acrylic are you using???

Tony

Staff member
Dude, you just made a hospital tank/frag tank. It ain't pretty, but I bet it still holds water.

My frag tank is going to be about 30" long, 12" front to back, and 9" deep. And it's going to be plumbed into the current system of the big tank. But yes, it will hold water. I have no doubt about that even without testing it yet. What I'm worried about is the stress on the acrylic. I tested a piece of 1x1 and the seam broke when I pulled on it right where the solvent stopped melting to weld it together. So unlike steel, the welds on acrylic are not as strong as the sheet. But, I'm sure it will work. Just need to find a small pump to plumb it.

Hi Tony, Still looks good:) minor blip but you have got those seems good:) like i have said before used to have 3 bigish tropicals, and i loved those tanks, a labour of love:) The fish loss was what knocked it on the head for me:( Really enjoying your progrss and vids:)

There will be more, I can assure you. The issues in the welds are permanent, but the stuff on the outside I can sand down and polish to remove. Lot of labor, but I could do it.

wow tony bummer bout the nano tank 1.0 but will be looking forward to 2.0 you will get it done man and i am sure the next attempt will go much smoother... How thick of acrylic are you using???

I sure hope it does. Need to order some #4 solvent in hopes it will work better. And I'm using 1/4" extruded acrylic. If I build a large show tank, I would use cast acrylic.

Top Bottom