General Today's flights

trainrider06

Well finally got some time to go to the field and fly, my chosen birds, Blade SR, Align 450 Pro DFC, and my Align 450L. Was gonna take the SR up first, and get some air on it, but checking the wind it was starting to get 11-12mph gusts, and it can be a handful without a breeze, so I opted for the 450 Pro. It's been a while since I've really flown anything, so I was just doing some mild flights, practicing keeping the heli tracked back and forth over the runway. I was shaking so bad but kept flying it till my timer went off. So I brought her in and as I came down I thought let me do a little baby auto, made the mistake of hitting TH with not enough pitch on blades, the tail must have popped on the runway slightly before the skids, really didn't land hard at all but I heard that nasty sound of the tail drive gear going strip! Sure enough must have barely caught the tail blades and stripped the dang drive gear! Grrrrrrr! Still had 2 more packs to use up! Needless to say I was peeved!
I couldn't believe how easily that gear gave out on it!
So got it home and then find the DS520 servo is shot too! WTH!
Just goes to show how fragile these things can be I guess....
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey Rodney. Sorry to hear about the incident :sad2:. On the bright side :cool1: you had the chance to get out and fly at your local flying field. :hmmm: In the back ground it looks like to me that it was an old golf course or driving range at one time?

trainrider06

Thanks Ivan, well I am really a believer in how fragile these TT drives are now!
She's almost back together now, just gotta do end points in the BeastX and make sure I'm good on reverse.
I can understand the TT drive shedding but dang how the heck did my servo take a lick? Luckily I had a brand new DS525 in my bench stock, but it irks me I had to use it! :(

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Yeah, those TT are too sensitive for me . The X3 came with TT. The very first time she flew, same thing, tail blade hit and strip the gears. I went right online and ordered the belt kit for the X3. I've also notice that a lot of the big birds uses belt drive vs TT. I don't know but I prefer the belt :2c:.

trainrider06

Welp she's back to form! Decided to go with one of my other canopies that are more roomy. That stock canopy I am always having to reposition the battery to get the thing to fit on here! :( hate it because I love the stock canopy!
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

KLA

I won't buy a heli with a TT. I swear by the good ol belt drive. Plus, I hear a lot about the Align servos stripping gears. I have a Turnigy 306g, which is the same as the KST 215, on the tail of my 450 Pro and never had a problem with it. But real sorry to hear that you had a mishap with your heli, Rodney. Hope you got it all back in order.

holtneil

Hi Rodney shame to damage your baby , The first and hope the last time it happened as I landed the wind put the tail into a little longer grass as it popped the rear gear front gear and link drive I always keep spares just Glad the Goblin is Belt drive

trainrider06

What's weird is aside from a hard crash I've never damaged a TT by something so easy as the landing I did, and the servo too!
I was only like 3-4 inches from the ground! Guess it just caught at the right angle....

Cant believe it took the servo out too...damn that is nerve racking and shoots down the confidence. I can relate to shaking from adrenaline, thats why i like flying these though. Cant get that feeling with a plane or car!

trainrider06

I saw what the problem was today while flying it after fixing it. For some odd reason the tail case is twisted to the right, and that causes the blades to be closer than normal!
I noticed it on my second flight today, probably can't see it in the video in the beginning
Align 450 Pro 2 - YouTube

trainrider06

I shouldn't have zoomed my camera so much that time. Way too close! yeah it was a great day flew 4 of my birds today, well the 500 I only did some tail sorting (have a kick and need to get gains right) no one was out there, and the winds were only gusting to 10mph at times, was a nice relaxing day!

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I shouldn't have zoomed my camera so much that time. Way too close! yeah it was a great day flew 4 of my birds today, well the 500 I only did some tail sorting (have a kick and need to get gains right) no one was out there, and the winds were only gusting to 10mph at times, was a nice relaxing day!

:nono: flying here for the next couple of days. Waiting for the hurricane to blow by :rant:. Big differences flying the SR vs the 450/500? Good to see your getting some stick time in. :wave:

trainrider06

Haha yeah the SR can be a handful, you can see a couple times the tail trying to get away from me. Flying that is like flyin in rate mode sometimes, instead of head holding we normally fly.
Oh yeah you all are getting a lot of rain huh?

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Haha yeah the SR can be a handful, you can see a couple times the tail trying to get away from me. Flying that is like flyin in rate mode sometimes, instead of head holding we normally fly.
Oh yeah you all are getting a lot of rain huh?

Yeah, a little bit of rain "7in. so far" and wind "somewhere around 70mph gust" at times and it hasn't even hit land fall. We're doing good, others not so. Friday is land fall, so they say!

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hope ya faired well Ivan!

Thanks for asking Rodney :). We did just fine on our side but right down the road, north of us in Crystal River and south of us in Tampabay, they got flooded, bad! :scratchchin: My honey did alot of research before we purchases our house. She looked up like, flood issue, sink hole, lighting strike..... I've learned from her that if there's a super Walmart near your area, your in a safe zone. She dug up that information too! We should do fine under any emergency. We are stock up and can survive without food,water and electricity for 3 month in times of need.

KLA

Now that's being prepared!!!! Thats good that your wife is like that. My wife did similar research when we bought our house up here in Pennsylvania. Didn't have to worry about hurricanes but definitely floods and more importantly we have to worry about mine subsidence.

Top Bottom