450 The Start of the Aluminum 450 V3 Sport

RC MAN

Hi yall,

A little buildup of my 450, I got tired of breaking the carbon framing, (yes, I crash sometimes and land very hard too)

It started as an Align kit, the cheap 1.

First thing on my agenda was taking the anodizing off the tail and boom, Than polish the hell out of it.
Polished rotor and rear fin.JPG

Lazered side plates from 1mm aluminum, polish to a high luster,(without warping) Assemble the mainframe.
IMG_0921.JPG

Than the rest, I hate the black metal screws, so stainless is on the way. A test for my Center of Gravity Stand
IMG_0978.JPG

A pic of the stainless screws installed, looks almost flight worthy, ohh weight in pic is 668 grams, with all but the canopy,
Need a clear canopy for this bad boy, and worthy servos, the blue 1s are the cases I wanna use,
Canopy will be chrome with blue lightning bolts.
Anybody know where I can get a lexan canopy? And who can paint it?
450 Stainless screws.jpg450 ready for canopy.jpg

Rotorhead is next to polish :cool1:

The paint will have to look simular to this.
29-photoshop-lighting-brush.jpg

Take care yall,
And Ill keep ya posted

Frank

Polished rotor and rear fin.JPG

IMG_0921.JPG

IMG_0978.JPG

450 Stainless screws.jpg

450 ready for canopy.jpg

29-photoshop-lighting-brush.jpg

Lee

Looks cool. Are you gonna de-anodise the head parts? It will look sweet if you polish up those frames to a mirror finish.
Nice job mate.

Derek

Very cool, RC MAN! Glad you started a specific thread for this. I'll be watching for your progress on this.

Graham Lawrie

Cool:) When i thought about buying a heli last year i always imagined they were aluminium and looked like this:)

RC MAN

Looks cool. Are you gonna de-anodise the head parts? It will look sweet if you polish up those frames to a mirror finish.
Nice job mate.
Hey Lee,
The head is the next thing Im doin, just have to disassemble it all and go at it, was tryin and trimming today, and guesse what ?
I crashed it, was about 1 in. in the air, started goin left (in my garage) had about 5 meters till the wall, no prob. but hit
a slit in the floor and did a b-line to the wall, with 3500 head speed and low pitch and no time to recover, clipped a piece of fencing
with my carbon blades and ya know the rest :hopelessness: , bent the frame, mainshaft, and tailboom.

Got done fixin, and tried again, but in my field this time, went better, no walls and fences or slits to bump into, trimmed out pretty good,
Used my c/g stand to balance it up, and was flyin about at 5-6 ft. Went good and I have no -pitch set up for it. Just + pitch.
midstick has 3500 rpms, than comes the pitch, 0 at midstick, and 15deg at full stick, can bump it if ya need to, jumps like on a bunji cord.

Wanted to do that in the garage, but my ceiling is a little to low, oh well.

A taste of it with a canopy on after the crash. WILL try again tomorrow, as its very dark here.
After crash.JPGYes it shines.JPG

Frank

- - - Updated - - -

Cool:) When i thought about buying a heli last year i always imagined they were aluminium and looked like this:)

I havent seen a heli like mine yet, just need the clear canopy and it will be finished, and the servos.

Who sells a clear canopy ?

And what name should I give it? 450 from Hell (when the chrome with lightningbolts canopy is on it)

Or Billet Bird Hmmm yall give me some tips.
Hope to get some RC-Help vinyls for it too.

Frank van Hellsing

After crash.JPG

Yes it shines.JPG

Lee

You should make your own clear canopies. Make a plug of the canopy and a small vacum box and blow mold your own.

RC MAN

You should make your own clear canopies. Make a plug of the canopy and a small vacum box and blow mold your own.

And what the hell am I sapposed to do on my free time?

Clear, flawless canopys, for 6 bucks, lol.
I would pay 30 bucks for a clear (Lexan) canopy (Will be painted on the inside)

But must be perfectly made to fit, and no flaws or wrinkles. Otherwise ya will see after painting the thing.

40 bucks for painting, looks like 100 and it fits perfect, not a bad price for quality work.

I made a buck for pulling lexan before, was not a cool job to do.
Lots of LOOKING for imperfections and the sort,
Cost of the buck.... was 1500..... Was a 1:10 car body 49 Mercury Leadsled

canopies for helis ... hmmmm

Well I have to go off to bed yall

0600 comes fast here, and I have to figure out some hard stuff tomarrow

Frank

I am a prototype builder

RC MAN

Well , Hi yall

A bit of advice, DO NOT try to spin a plastic rotorhead to 4500 rpms, they dont like it...
IMG_1013.JPG

The rotor blades didnt hit anyone, Thank God, just went flyin to the front.

Nothin else happened to the heli, just tossed the head off, (Damd plastic crapp)

Frank

IMG_1013.JPG

IMG_1019.JPG

Tony

Staff member
2800 is suggested max on carbon fiber blades for a 450. 2200 is max for a 600, 2100 for a 700.

Lee

At 4500 RPM!!! I'm not surprised it flew off. Thats very high, even for a metal head. What KV motor and pinion are you using?

RC MAN

At 4500 RPM!!! I'm not surprised it flew off. Thats very high, even for a metal head. What KV motor and pinion are you using?
Hi Lee,
The motor I made came out to 5200 kv, I wind my own motors, esc was from a car, 14 tooth pinion, first time spooling up, ripped the drive teeth right off.
Well, I guesse I wont be doin that again,scared the crap outa me in my garage, but what a sound, will put in a 2500- 3500 kv motor, I thought the more the better,
Was killing tailrotors also, so I think a little less speed would save me parts too. lol
Had throttle at 80% at 0 pitch, about 82% it would hover, real nice. But touchy in the pitch, a bit more and it would shoot up fast.
Bent my metal head and my alu frame also, Hmm to much power lol, am stepping down on the power, will shoot for 25-2800 rotor speed,
I also was wondering why my tail shafts were bending in flight also, Well, that was the problem I guesse.
Thanks Guys, Ill keep ya informed,

Frank

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, the tail on some helis spins 4.5 times faster than the main blades. So 4500 main = 20,250 rpm from the tail. Wow lol.

Lee

Yep, thats like putting a lamborgini engine in a Fiat 500 :D
Recommended is 3500/3700KV. 4000KV absolute max

RC MAN

Glad I was alone at the time, and no casualties, funny ,the blades didnt even get any damage, just popped off, and flew away, and came down.
Lee, Im the kinda guy who has to go for the max. Ohh well, not with a heli lol.
Have to buy a new head, as this was my last 1 I had sitting around,

Fly safe, and keep the speed down lol

Frank

RC MAN

very exciting thread Love the heli man great manufacturing skills
It might be an exciting thread, but its more exciting flying this monster, I planted it 3 times already, 1st flight was good, 3batts and all went well.
Next day, a different story, rebuilt it 3 times that day, 1st, snapped a feathering shaft screw at 30 ft. 1 blade went like 60 ft. the other was by the heli.
Fixed that, flew again, was to far out, lost orientation, noticed to late, that it was headed nose down, slammed the field at about 40 mph, ripped the canopy right off, stuck the batt tray
in the dirt, squashed the batt, and broke the motor shaft, and other stuff, what a mess, 3rd rebuild was the best, needed a new motor, so I grabbed 1 outa the box, installed it and went back out, flew like a pissed off eagle, Hit IU and rolled it, how cool that was, was my 1st time.... was buzzen around, and it went wobbly and was ticking, got bad and hit TH, mainshaft bent, in flight. Looked at the motor at home, well wheres my monster motor? lol, from all the rebuilding, put that 1 in. When will I learn to get a separate box for stuff..I do now, and label them too.
So now Im scared to fly this thing lol who wants to crash, ohh well, if ya dont crash, ya aint learning.

IMG_1108.JPGIMG_1112.JPGIMG_1159.JPG

1st pic, after featheringshaft screws let lose, 2nd after 3rd rebuild, 3rd pic, ready to rock and roll again.

Frank

IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1112.JPG

IMG_1159.JPG

RC MAN

Hi again, back I am.
Ya think 4500 is a lot, look at this pic of my try, wound up my motor abit different this time, guess I just cant keep my fingers outa trouble,
4890 mark.jpg Thats 4890rpms It measures x10

Aluminum head holds like a charm at this speed, blades 2,
This motor is going in a Drag Heli, yep you heard right, But with a Titanium Frame
Pic of that too.IMG_1241.JPG

Frank

4890 mark.jpg

IMG_1241.JPG

Top Bottom