450 The start of my first 450:

murankar

Staff member
I do agree with that also. You will always get more for your buck going that route. I did that with P.C.s for the first couple I had. Then they broke and I was forced into another P.C., due to a lack on knowledge on fixing it. Finally I built one and finally figured out how it worked and what was needed for it to work properly. When I bought my Camera it came as a kit, I didn't know anything about the hardware and why it was paired the way it was. Then I went out and had to learn my camera along with what works with it and why. Same thing here if I build it from the ground up I then can learn how to fix it in the long run. Plus it will keep me occupied while I am away from the family. The biggest learning curve for me right now is knowing what to buy and why I need a particular part. My next bit of learning is how things work mechanically and finally I will also learn what controller settings I need for this particular machine. I would not dare mess with a factory built and test machine, for fear I might mess something up. Now for my next heli or two yes I may consider brand or maybe even another clone. The best part is after all of this I will then know what it is I will need to do to get it flying. So all in all this a learning project for me.

Tony

Staff member
I have never purchased an Align heli, so take this with a grain of salt.

In their instructions that I read, it's like you have to build the whole thing from the ground up, including the head. So in all reality, you will do more "building" on those than a clone. Anyone that has purchased an Align let me know if I'm right or wrong though.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
There are a few parts that come assembled on the align. But, you still have to disassemble them to lock tite everything! Lol

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
If I remember right lol hard for us old truckers to do! The head, main gear and tail grae were assembled. But no lock tite and dry bearings. You have to tear them apart and grease the bearings and lock tite the screws. They ship them like that for packaging purposes!

murankar

Staff member
I just found a mistake on xheli.com's web site. view it here. The first motor in the last row is listed as a 3800Kv motor. But if you click on it and look at the specs, it is a 4200kv motor. So now I have a 4200kv motor comming instead of the 3800 that I though I ordered. I have contacted their sales support now it is a waiting game. Also the motor next to it is listed at 2210kv but in the specs it is a 3800kv motor. To err is human i guess.

murankar

Staff member
Thanks for all the help. I am down to one more order I think. The TX/RX is the last I think I need to order. As luck would have it both Hobby king and hobbypartz are both out of the th9x. I may have to settle for the slightly cheaper alternative for now or just order from HK and wait till it comes back in stock. Only down side to this is that I would have to ship it home then to me. I may just end up at the same cost os the flysky th9x.

murankar

Staff member
Well folks it's official!!! I am now the proud owner of a 450 clone. So far I got the head broke down as far as I can get it. I cant get the sewsaw holder and mixing arms off. The screws are cross tip and in real tight. Next is the feathering shaft. I also had a real hard time with getting the rotor head off the main shaft. The EXI tool kit has had everything I needed so far including nut drivers for the jesus bolt and the blade grips. Lets see how this next step goes.

I have the align manual but it is for the TT edition. I could not find the belt drive version.

Tony

Staff member
I tried to download the manual to put on the site, but the align server is not responding. I will try to get it on here asap. But, use the Pro TT manual for everything but the tail. When you get to the tail, use the SE manual I have in the Instruction Manual section.

murankar

Staff member
Thank god I did not start the tail. I have the motor in but not thread locked yet. Still have to the mesh. I just adjusted the 2 longer linkages and reconnected to the swash. I am trying to plan the esc, going under the battery try. I just solved the CF issue with the canopy mount, hole to small, fixed. Have the night head bars on and the head is on the shaft but not secured yet. I still have to do the cyclics. Have the flybar set up with paddels. I am off by .001 of a millimeter on the flybar itself, and dead on with the paddles. head is thread locked, at least the screws I could get out. Most of the one I could not are ball links and I do not want to strip them. I will post more tomorrow. Thanks Tony!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony

Staff member
If you put your ESC under the battery tray, only fly for about 3 minutes, land and check the temp. I had to move mine because it was getting too hot.

murankar

Staff member
Well its been a month or so since I started this project. Today I placed the last two orders (I think)till the next time I crash. Due to bad assembly and my poor judgement on my part I had to order a bunch of parts for the rotor head. Now I should be able to fix the head without issue unless I mess up.

The radio system I quickly upgraded after my accident . I was not liking the fact that I had to be teathered to the PC. At first I thought it would be no big deal, well I thought wrong. I ended up ordering the FS th9x since it was in stock. I also ordered the hobby king life4 battery and back light kit. I will have some time to mess with the radio since it is to cold to fly outside.

My exi tool kit came in handy except for the 1.5mm hex drivers. They were rounded off before I finished the build. I think the main rotor head assembly had something to do with it. So I ordered 2 of the 1.5mm drivers from hobby king, lets see if they are any better. The other tools I got with the kit are the pitch gauge, ball link sizer, ball link pliers, linkage rod wrench and needle nose pliers. Found all the tools so far useful except the ball link sizer. I have not needed it yet. The case is not to bad it is aluminum and has nice solid foam inserts for the tools to sit in. I think this could make a great field box add on since it has all the common sizes.

Finally I also order a carry case and additional parts for a field fix if need be. Things like feathering shaft, main shaft, tail boom, linkages, cf blades. I am considering a canopy and landing gear. I just remembered I will need to order a set or 2 of the ds520 gear. At $5 I think ordering 2 sets would be ideal. You never know when you will need the extra set. I hope all of this comes in soon so I can maybe go outside. Like I've said before it has been way to cold to even be outside let alone fly. So I guess it's best that I had my mishap or I would be outside trying to fly and breaking more than what should be getting broke.

Last edited:

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
A simple fix for the small hex drivers is to grind it down. I have a small 30"x1" belt sander I got from Harbor Freight which I use as it gives me pretty good control when doing this. I have a bench grinder, but I'm afraid I'd be all the way to the end of the hex before I'd realize it. It really doesn't take much to get rid of the rounded off part, either. Just a little cleanup on the tool head and you're golden. Having extras doesn't hurt either, but this is a way to keep from having to purchase a bunch of them.

murankar

Staff member
I have been using my gerber multi tool to do the trick. Once I get all the new parts in I will only use the trashed drivers for the initial removal and reassemble with the new. All the parts I ordered I should be able to use the drivers for and still get nice and tight. I still cant remove the one bolt form the feathering shaft so I can reclaim the bearings, that would have save me some dollars not much but some. Anyhow I do have new bearings on the way also, two sets. I hope to be well stocked with the exception to the fly bar, I only ordered one and should have ordered two. My order a hobby king dremmal for the grinding and cutting in the future.

Top Bottom