HK450V2 Pinion Gear 3.17mm 11T/13T
Double sided foam tape (10x5 inches)

Xheli.com
EXI 450 Pro Carbon Fiber Heli
EXI 15 Piece Tool kit
Training Kit

Hobbypartz.com
Thunder AC6 Smart LiPo Balance Charger
T-Pro MG90S Cyclic Servos (x3 @ 8.00 ea)
Exceed Proton 60A brushless ESC with BEC
Shrink tube (black and red)

Well I think this is going to be my parts list for now. I have a set of digital calipers coming in the mail ($42) which is not in the final cost. Right now I am sitting kind of high in the build cost, no shipping is accounted for yet. Also I am spreading out my purchases so I can get exactly what I want. Tony you said if you spend any money spend it on the tail, Well my tail setup is about 25% of my build cost and I am ok with that if the parts are worth. After almost 2 weeks of research and rchelpdotcom vids, I think I am ready. My first purchase will be on payday, next Wednesday. I am ordering everything from Xheli.com first. BTW, the Alpha 400 3500 Kv was out of stock as of yesterday, I think I might be sticking with this Turnigy motor for now.

With this configuration I have two choices of head speeds 2279/2694 respectfully. I may start off with the smaller pinion gear, please chime in with you comments. I also still need to list a few more small things like zip ties(black) and solder. This config my change depending on hobby king, since they have a tough time keeping things in stock. I do intend on sticking to this list as much as possible.

My power system starts with a 54 Amp motor, 60 amp ESC and a 66.25 amp battery (I paired this according to Tony's video on matching these, I hope I did it right). For the tail I chose to go with a Turnigy mini mems (re branded sjgd with program box) and the servo is the TGY-390DMH. These two items I spent the most time on researching. From what I found is that people have had good experiences with them and the work. Lets see how they work together. My cyclic servos are the suggested T-Pro MG90S's for starting out they should do fine since 3d is a long time away.

That ends my intro to this build for now. I will be taking pictures since my video is limited to a built in webcam. If the quality is good I will attempt a few videos myself. I more than likely will not be starting the actual build until late January or February depending on the shipping. Being in Korea is going to be rough, but I will prevail. Any suggestions feel free to let me know.

murankar

Staff member
I think I my be going with the Dynam Detrum 60A ESC(3A BEC) and program card. It drops the final over all cost to under $400. I know it seems like a lot, but I want to do it somewhat right from the start. I can not find an Exceed proton program card right now. Any how I wont have this ordered until my next purchase in January sometime.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I think I my be going with the Dynam Detrum 60A ESC(3A BEC) and program card. It drops the final over all cost to under $400. I know it seems like a lot, but I want to do it somewhat right from the start. I can not find an Exceed proton program card right now. Any how I wont have this ordered until my next purchase in January sometime.
I think for A $400.00 price tag, I would just save up my money and purchace An Align 450!

KX015074 - TREX 450 PRO SUPER COMBO CARBON BLADES/MOTOR/ESC/SERVOS/GYRO

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Or a tarot 450 rtf (or super combo) from ac-rc (I think) for 250 .. That's a good starting point

murankar

Staff member
Just did some quick re thinking. yah I went overboard a tad. Yes we all want the best but hey this is a first for me and got excited. I did lots of trimming down on the specs. I decided on the GY48v gyro, which cut lots of cost. What tail servo will work well with this gyro? I am kid in a candy store!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Well.. Gy48v is good. Rather go with ga 250 ... It's Mems and holds great and cheap. Will run only digital servo.

If you wanna stay cheap, I would really recommend tarot 450 super combo man... No bearing and shaft replacements like some other kits.. And very good finish. Faster shipping

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Tarot 450 Pro RC Helicopter Super Combo

It's 200 and has it all. All you'll need is the turnigy 9x and it comes with rx.. And you are good to go. 260 I think and you'll be ready to get in the air..

Bow of you have more money than that, upgrade your gyro or tail servo...

And if you have even more .. You can ( not recommended for beginner) go for FBL of the same which is 250..

Of you are spending more than 325-350, just go for align straight up... It's an investement.. I learnt it the hard way. :)

murankar

Staff member
Thanks guys for getting back on track with this. In the end I want to be able to say I built it. So I want to stick with this route. I have been learning a lot since I decided to build this. I am looking at trimming more cost on the tail servo and final cost will be in the 200's which works for me. At some point I would definitely do upgrades as I get better and more adventurous.

Pics will be going up as soon as I receive my first delivery. Oh and the mail is going to be an issue no matter who I order from. Things being shipped to APO addresses always take longer than normal. If I pay for express shipping it will only be express to the APO. Once they get it its on them and can still take a while. So Slow and steady and soon I will be flying once again. I had a mishap with the Blade 120 sr this week end, its down for a bit ran out of landing gear. A gust of wind came buy and I cut the throttle before it hit a wall and that's all she wrote. PS There are plenty of areas here to fly so it shouldn't be an issue.

Tony

Staff member
By saying "trimming more cost on the tail servo" you are almost shooting yourself in the foot. By doing that, you will have a hard time controlling the tail, and will make the heli hard to control. The Align super combo is where it's at if you have the money. It will come with everything you need, and it will be the correct stuff for the heli. But, if you can't afford that, then start low, and work your way up. Just remember, the more you spend on the tail, the better it will be when you are learning and beyond.

murankar

Staff member
Well then I will keep this newer configuration. I am tracking my build cost. Its not so much the money right now. I want to enjoy flying and this will a fun project for the winter while I am here. Can't wait to get started. I have watched many of your guide videos. I now spend more time here than on Facebook. Happy flying!

murankar

Staff member
Well today I ordered my EXI 450 Pro Carbon Fiber RC Helicopter Belt-Driven and tool kits. Lets see how long it takes to receive them. I also found a 5% discount promo that I added to this order. I think I night order the stuff from hobby king since the stuff I need is on back order. I am hoping that they fill the order as the parts come in, prior to stocking. then I will order the stuff from hobby partz. If I am lucky I will have all the parts by march for the build.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
I just sent you a PM on the ESC and card. If you want the servos and motor I have as well, we can work out a deal and save you on shipping. Just let me know soon so I can revise my ad on ebay. Right now, the servos and motor are in the auction with the helicopter, but I can pull that auction and just sell the heli if you are interested in the other parts. Members first lol. Let me know.

murankar

Staff member
Well things are looking good today. Today I got a Christmas gift from my wife. Two gift cards that I was able to use on the net. So just to get you all up to date my project is moving right along. So far I have ordered a bulk of the heli and have a few more things to get to complete my build. To date I am waiting to receive My heli and tool kit, 3 t-pro MG90s Servos, 1 training kit, 1 Thunder AC6 Smart charger w/ ac adapter, 1 Dynam Detrum 40A ECS w/ 3A BEC and 1 Exceed RC Helium 3800 Kv motor. Not much left to get and I can start assembling my heli. Now it is just a waiting game. Also I may have to order some XT60 to deans connectors for the charger. Will see how this unfolds as I get closer to completing my orders.

murankar

Staff member
You know how they say timing is everything. Well the couple of things I was waiting for at HK just come in and now off of back order. Great now I have to wait again and hope the stuff is still in stock. I was looking at the Turnigy 2200 mAh 25c battery and the HK GA 250 gyro. Well I will once again hold out and see what happens, besides I found a site that sells the Assan GA 250. Ok I done with my complaining for now.

Tony

Staff member
3800 is a little more KV than you need, but will work. Just make sure to run a pinion no bigger than 13T. I would actually run a 12T if I could find one. And I have a 2200 3s battery around here somewhere that has hardly been used. I would be willing to make a deal on it if you need one. Also, don't order batteries from over seas. HK has a USA warehouse and with the limitations on shipping lipo's in china, you would be better off.

murankar

Staff member
Actually I would need a 10T to match the rpm's of the alpha 400 with same 2200 mAh 25c battery. So I was thinking maybe going with an 11T maybe a 12T any more that I think I might be to high. Ran the numbers through my excel sheet with the formulas set in it. A 13T would net me 2924, and an 11T would net me about 2474. Anyhow I will attempt the 11T first then go from there. Batteries, have not even thought about the yet, well not much past 2200 mAh 25C. That is my plan for this set up, of course my plan changed like 10 time since I started. Right now I am just rolling with it.

My last major hurdle is the tail config. I know what I want to use it's just a matter of it being available when I need it. This hole tail servo thing is making me insane (Kinda). Then there is this Assan GA 250 gyro that almost no one sells. I found a few On e-bay. Then I went top Assans Website and they make no mention of this gyro. Is there another brand outside of HK that I have not found? It seems that a lot of people are enjoying this gyro I would like to be one of them. Thanks Guys!

Tony

Staff member
The only one that I know that sells that gyro is hobbyking. That is who I always ordered from when I got them. If you want top of the line, get the GP-780 from Align. Same size as the GA-250, and a million times better. But, money is an issue and I know the feeling. The Assan Gyro is only $10 (last I checked) and if you can find a decent price on the DS-520, with the Assan gyro, you will be set. Just be careful of used servos.

Top Bottom