450 Tarot 450 Pro v2 FBL Maiden Flight! Help please?

Blade 400

I`m really pleased to be able to post to the 450 threads for the first time and also to report that my first flight was a success! I did have training gear on as she`s a new build and my first FBL Heli that someone else setup, so I didn`t know what to expect. She didn`t need the usual right cyclic on take off that I`m used to with my FB Blade 400 but I did notice the nose turning to the left a lot! I had to use full right rudder trim (from centre) in order for her to stop turning? When I then got her in the air she flew great!!! She`s so locked in and stable :biglaugh: I found that she kind of Hovered herself and I only had to give the lightest of cyclic touches (returning to centre all the time) to get her to move and an opposite direction light touch to hold her and boy does she hold well :thumbsup:
Then something happened? I was really struggling with the Canopy, its far too tight and I think that when I was trying to get her over the canopy pins, I may have put some pressure on the FBL Gyro??? When I came to take off again, she started turning to the left again and I have no rudder trim left???
Can someone please advise?
I really like her :love_heart:

Geena

Staff member
First things first. Never...ever....ever use trim on a FBL helicopter. The FBL unit is going to see that as a stick input, not trim...and it can cause all sorts of weird things to happen. All servo trims should be done in the FBL unit itself, or subtrim in some instances. But NEVER use the trim switches on the face of the transmitter. Back in the flybarless days, we could use trims, because the stabilization was done mechanically by the flybar. So it was being seen as trim and not stick inputs.

This turning you`re talking about.... Is it happening while it`s still on the ground? If so, that`s normal. It will do that until it spools up enough to have enough tail authority to counter it. Which is why it was locked in after you got it off the ground. You need to put the trims back to zero, and see what it does. If the tail does not lock in...it could be gyro gain is too low, or it could be a bad mechanical setup.

If you think you moved the FBL unit when installing the canopy, you should check the tape and make sure it`s not loose or damaged. If it feels questionable....change the gyro tape. It`s not worth risking a crash over 10 cents worth of double sided tape.

Blade 400

First things first. Never...ever....ever use trim on a FBL helicopter. The FBL unit is going to see that as a stick input, not trim...and it can cause all sorts of weird things to happen. All servo trims should be done in the FBL unit itself, or subtrim in some instances. But NEVER use the trim switches on the face of the transmitter. Back in the flybarless days, we could use trims, because the stabilization was done mechanically by the flybar. So it was being seen as trim and not stick inputs.

This turning you`re talking about.... Is it happening while it`s still on the ground? If so, that`s normal. It will do that until it spools up enough to have enough tail authority to counter it. Which is why it was locked in after you got it off the ground. You need to put the trims back to zero, and see what it does. If the tail does not lock in...it could be gyro gain is too low, or it could be a bad mechanical setup.

If you think you moved the FBL unit when installing the canopy, you should check the tape and make sure it`s not loose or damaged. If it feels questionable....change the gyro tape. It`s not worth risking a crash over 10 cents worth of double sided tape.
Thanks so much Geena, I have always corrected any yaw with the Blade 400 on take off so thought it was the same with the FBL :( Re; your explanation, I won`t be doing that on the TX again! I have returned the rudder trim to centre, Will she stop turning when the tail speeds up enough? or do I have to hold in some right rudder??? I`ll see how she is tomorrow and will look at gyro gain or Mech setup if there`s still a problem. The tape on the Gyro is good but the Gyro does flex slightly when I apply a little pressure with my finger? Cheers again,
Derek

Geena

Staff member
Thanks so much Geena, I have always corrected any yaw with the Blade 400 on take off so thought it was the same with the FBL :( Re; your explanation, I won`t be doing that on the TX again! I have returned the rudder trim to centre, Will she stop turning when the tail speeds up enough? or do I have to hold in some right rudder??? I`ll see how she is tomorrow and will look at gyro gain or Mech setup if there`s still a problem. The tape on the Gyro is good but the Gyro does flex slightly when I apply a little pressure with my finger? Cheers again,
Derek
Which FBL system are you using? There should be a trim menu that locks all the servos into center position. Go to that menu and check the tail servo horn is centered. and the tail blades are zero pitch. You can check that by folding the tail blades up.... the tips should line up with each other at zero pitch.

Once you`ve got it set up mechanically, you can start playing with the gyro gain. I use Bavarian Demon units, and when setting up the tail, I have to zero the tail servo....adjust the push rod so the tail blades are zero pitch, and then go two full turns on the push rod, in the direction that gives right rudder. I`m not saying to do that....Definitely follow the instructions for the unit you are using, because they all set up slightly different. Let me know how it goes. :)

Blade 400

Which FBL system are you using? There should be a trim menu that locks all the servos into center position. Go to that menu and check the tail servo horn is centered. and the tail blades are zero pitch. You can check that by folding the tail blades up.... the tips should line up with each other at zero pitch.

Once you`ve got it set up mechanically, you can start playing with the gyro gain. I use Bavarian Demon units, and when setting up the tail, I have to zero the tail servo....adjust the push rod so the tail blades are zero pitch, and then go two full turns on the push rod, in the direction that gives right rudder. I`m not saying to do that....Definitely follow the instructions for the unit you are using, because they all set up slightly different. Let me know how it goes. :)
Thanks again Geena, I`ll look at all of this :) Will be tomorrow now though. The FBL System is a clone of the Beast 3 sys (no ports for satellite receivers, I have her plugged into my Spektrum AR6100e receiver and she is set up via a button on the unit (no computer port)

Blade 400

Thanks again Geena, I`ll look at all of this :) Will be tomorrow now though. The FBL System is a clone of the Beast 3 sys (no ports for satellite receivers, I have her plugged into my Spektrum AR6100e receiver and she is set up via a button on the unit (no computer port)
Hi Geena,
I couldn`t resist putting a Lipo in to see what she is doing. The Gyro wouldn`t arm? I looked at it in relation to the anti- rotation bracket and she looked a little off - I corrected her unplugged the battery and tried again - she armed properly! I then tried spooling her up and the nose turned to the left whilst she`s on the ground. Should I use right rudder to hold the nose (as it would be difficult to take off whilst she`s turning? I`m on a smooth floor at the moment, She wouldn`t turn on grass as the training gear balls would hold) Cheers again,

Derek

Geena

Staff member
I used BeastX for a long time, before I got picked up by Bavarian Demon. The BeastX has always been a solid unit. Keep me posted on how it goes. :)

Geena

Staff member
Hi Geena,
I couldn`t resist putting a Lipo in to see what she is doing. The Gyro wouldn`t arm? I looked at it in relation to the anti- rotation bracket and she looked a little off - I corrected her unplugged the battery and tried again - she armed properly! I then tried spooling her up and the nose turned to the left whilst she`s on the ground. Should I use right rudder to hold the nose (as it would be difficult to take off whilst she`s turning? I`m on a smooth floor at the moment, She wouldn`t turn on grass as the training gear balls would hold) Cheers again,

Derek
Yes, you can use the rudder while it`s on the ground. I have to do that with my helicopters too, until they spool up completely.

Geena

Staff member
Yes, you can use the rudder while it`s on the ground. I have to do that with my helicopters too, until they spool up completely.
If it doesn`t hold in the air, you need to check your mechanical setup, and then mess with the gain.

Blade 400

If it doesn`t hold in the air, you need to check your mechanical setup, and then mess with the gain.
Brill Geena,
I`ll be extra careful putting the canopy on from now on so as not to disturb the Gyro - will monitor it closely. The canopy is way too tight, I will have to mod her. She didn`t turn as much on grass, so I should be able to get her up in the air without too much rudder! Thanks so much for your help and time again :)

Geena

Staff member
Brill Geena,
I`ll be extra careful putting the canopy on from now on so as not to disturb the Gyro - will monitor it closely. The canopy is way too tight, I will have to mod her. She didn`t turn as much on grass, so I should be able to get her up in the air without too much rudder! Thanks so much for your help and time again :)
Is it the canopy itself that is too tight, or is it the grommets going onto the pins? If it`s just the grommets that are too tight going over the pins.....you can apply a very small amount or lithium grease to the pins. The grommets will slip right on.

Blade 400

Is it the canopy itself that is too tight, or is it the grommets going onto the pins? If it`s just the grommets that are too tight going over the pins.....you can apply a very small amount or lithium grease to the pins. The grommets will slip right on.
Unfortunately the Canopy is way too tight. I had to get the hairdryer on her just to get her spread wide enough to get on the pins! Its the battery end of the Canopy, it seems too small???

Geena

Staff member
Unfortunately the Canopy is way too tight. I had to get the hairdryer on her just to get her spread wide enough to get on the pins! Its the battery end of the Canopy, it seems too small???
That`s an issue with quite a few helicopter brands. The nose of the canopy is a bit too narrow, and the battery and or battery leads hits it. If you have the battery pointing wire end to the nose, try turning it around to give the battery more wiggle room.

Blade 400

That`s an issue with quite a few helicopter brands. The nose of the canopy is a bit too narrow, and the battery and or battery leads hits it. If you have the battery pointing wire end to the nose, try turning it around to give the battery more wiggle room.
That`s a great idea Geena, I think that will do it :wink:

Blade 400

Just remember that the cables are going to be at the top now, and you`ll want to capture them with the battery strap to keep them away from the motor.
Just tried it and the canopy went on a treat! The wires are safe too (I will try and get them strapped down) but luckily the motor on this model is low down inside the frame of the Heli, so no chance of the wires getting caught!
:thankyou:

Geena

Staff member
Just tried it and the canopy went on a treat! The wires are safe too (I will try and get them strapped down) but luckily the motor on this model is low down inside the frame of the Heli, so no chance of the wires getting caught!
:thankyou:
That`s AWESOME!!!!! I`m happy it worked out for you. :)

Blade 400

That`s AWESOME!!!!! I`m happy it worked out for you. :)
I can`t wait to fly her again, I think she will be great to try out the new stuff I`ve been practising on the Sim as she seems much more stable than the Blade 400, I`ve actually got a chance to put the Sim progress into reality! Cheers Geena:respekt:

Geena

Staff member
I can`t wait to fly her again, I think she will be great to try out the new stuff I`ve been practising on the Sim as she seems much more stable than the Blade 400, I`ve actually got a chance to put the Sim progress into reality! Cheers Geena:respekt:
The Tarot should be an excellent helicopter for you to learn on, and way better that the Blades helicopters as far as quality and performance. It would be really cool to see some progression videos as you move along. :)

Top Bottom